Captain Marvel teaser.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-03-05 02:58am The internet is being increasingly flooded by posts and videos talking about how Captain Marvel and Brie Larson are ruining Marvel, how they're anti-male, etc, so it looks like the cowardly insecure Incel propaganda machine is in full swing now.

Even if this movie blows, I will be buying at least three tickets purely to spite them.
I am certainly going to watch this, partly to see if Marvel can still deliver, partly to find out whether the controversy turns out to be true, and also to give the middle finger to the alt right.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-03-05 05:53am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-03-05 02:58am The internet is being increasingly flooded by posts and videos talking about how Captain Marvel and Brie Larson are ruining Marvel, how they're anti-male, etc, so it looks like the cowardly insecure Incel propaganda machine is in full swing now.

Even if this movie blows, I will be buying at least three tickets purely to spite them.
I am certainly going to watch this, partly to see if Marvel can still deliver, partly to find out whether the controversy turns out to be true, and also to give the middle finger to the alt right.
Got to love the logic though. 19 male focused films are fine. 1 female centric film makes you anti-male. (I'm not counting Ant-Man and the Wasp on either side)

I'm surprised they'd admit it is a sex thing though. For WW and BP and it was 'it's not about prejudice they're just bad films!' played to the hilt.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-03-05 06:28am Got to love the logic though. 19 male focused films are fine. 1 female centric film makes you anti-male. (I'm not counting Ant-Man and the Wasp on either side)

I'm surprised they'd admit it is a sex thing though. For WW and BP and it was 'it's not about prejudice they're just bad films!' played to the hilt.
IIRC the complaints are
1. CM is too powerful and can solo Thanos. How they conclude that I am not quite sure, but I suspect its extrapolating an off the cuff statement from Kevin Feigey

2. Brie Larson had said something along the lines that who cares if white males don't like it. I assume its because CM is targeted to another audience, but she phrased it in such a way that it rubbed white males the wrong way apparently.

Even if I was a white male I would still go and see CM just to see the controversy, and also because its Marvel, and Marvel so far has delivered for me.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Given the movie isn't out yet and the "controversy" about it is speculative and specious, and that the same "controversy" coincidentally pops up every time a woman is given a leading role in a film like this, I'm pretty sure it isn't true. Its just a thin (very thin) mask for misogyny.

And I think Marvel has earned some trust when it comes to their ability to make an entertaining film, at this point.
mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-03-05 06:45am IIRC the complaints are
1. CM is too powerful and can solo Thanos. How they conclude that I am not quite sure, but I suspect its extrapolating an off the cuff statement from Kevin Feigey
Yup, speculative. Also, you'll note that nobody complained about Thor being powerful enough to solo Thanos (if he'd aimed for the head, Infinity War would have had a happy ending). But Thor has a cock between his legs, so him having extraordinary power isn't a threat to their fragile manhoods.

Nobody bashes Thor for being extremely powerful. Nobody bashes Thanos for being extremely powerful (indeed, as noted above, they're offended that a woman might be more powerful than him). Superman occasional gets some criticism for being too overpowered, but its seldom if ever this vitriolic. Nobody bashes Batman for having all the skills ever. Hell, with TLJ, one of the frequent complaints about Luke's depiction from fans was that he wasn't powerful enough compared to the EU, and that he used misdirection rather than going out and blowing up the First Order army with his mind or something. Nobody bashes male characters for being overpowered. On the contrary, they praise them as "bad asses" for it. Its always when a woman has extraordinary power that we here a chorus of "Too powerful!" and "Mary Sue!"
2. Brie Larson had said something along the lines that who cares if white males don't like it. I assume its because CM is targeted to another audience, but she phrased it in such a way that it rubbed white males the wrong way apparently.
Eh, this white male isn't particularly bothered by it. :)

Good on her for realizing that there's no point in trying to win over people who are determined to hate her. Wish the Democratic leadership had figured that out two or three years sooner.
Even if I was a white male I would still go and see CM just to see the controversy, and also because its Marvel, and Marvel so far has delivered for me.
On that point, we are in complete agreement.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-03-05 06:28am

Got to love the logic though. 19 male focused films are fine. 1 female centric film makes you anti-male. (I'm not counting Ant-Man and the Wasp on either side)

Yep. That's all it is. People so insecure, with such a sense of entitlement, that they think that anyone different than then getting anything, however small, constitutes them being persecuted. That's why they do this every single time there's a film like this with a female lead. Because to them, the existence of a woman in a leading role is an attack on their masculinity.

Remember, the Alt. Reich's world view can be summarized as follows: Society is a zero-sum game played along demographic lines, where only one demographic can win at the expense of all others, and any success by women or minorities is therefore an attack on the rightful entitlements of white men. The notion that different kinds of people could coexist as equals, and make one another stronger through cooperation, doesn't enter into the equation for them.

Although granted I suspect most of them couldn't express their own views that articulately.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

It's getting decent reviews.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is it out? Do we need a release/spoilers thread?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-03-05 06:04pm Is it out? Do we need a release/spoilers thread?
It doesn't release in the US until this Friday, but typically reviewers get to see it at earlier dates. No idea when it releases in other countries. And I'm in no position to dictate affairs but I don't see a particular issue with either keeping reviews/spoilers in this thread or making a separate thread, either way.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Will probably go see it next Tuesday night, if possible. I'll post my thoughts afterward.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Ok, I saw it yesterday after my internet provider stuffed up my connection, so couldn't get a lot of things done. So whatcha going to do? Watch Captain Marvel of course.

I will post more detailed thoughts later, but generally it was a "safe" movie. Nothing special like Thor Ragnorak, and the twist was predictable (if you're a comic book fan), and it nicely explains why Captain Marvel has been away from Earth for decades.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, it wasn't experimental or such, but it was solid.

And the main story themes were good- I'd say one twist was predictable, but comic fandom wouldn't really have tipped off the Skrull twist! Also the family stuff with Maria and Monica was good.

On the whole I really liked it, Carol was a lot more fun of a character than I thought (like going in I was under the impression she'd be more a stoic type), and she had great chemistry with Fury (Brie and Sam apparently being RL besties). And I look forward to what they do with a sequel! I'm curious who they'll have for grownup Monica.