THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-09-24 02:40pmI don't know about the Switches... but remember she built this because the Dwarf respected Strength. The toughest monsters, to test those searching.
And she herself was apparently something of a trickster, so I don't think it's implausible that she would build the place to honor her dwarf friend who respected strength above all else, tell everyone that she was doing so and then have the actual way the gate is defended be something else entirely.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yes, but we know she already put one twist of her own on it: The many multiple doors. Who's to say she didn't do more than that? It would be one hell of a double bluff.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Trickster - multiple-need-to-be-a-rogue-to-find-in-each dungeon
Strength - Full of near-epic or epic monsters
Combination - have to clear it all to reveal the actual 'Snarl Dungeon' door, which is a dead-magic dungeon that makes the Beastlands look tame
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2020-09-24 04:56pm Trickster - multiple-need-to-be-a-rogue-to-find-in-each dungeon
Strength - Full of near-epic or epic monsters
Combination - have to clear it all to reveal the actual 'Snarl Dungeon' door, which is a dead-magic dungeon that makes the Beastlands look tame
Then that's gonna backfire, because the MitD marked off several doors as 'cleared' when they weren't. We were wondering if MitD was having another one of it's "episodes" where it's doing something unconsciously that helps out in the end.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I can't see how it would backfire. Kill the lich, convince the Goblin to help, and then start going over each door one at a time, marking them with a different symbol. Hell, it anything, if the dungeon's don't refill, Team Evil would have made things easier.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Does anybody else get the feeling that we just saw the baddies walk into the correct door for the wrong reason?
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

I don't think they have the correct door, I think they have a door that hasn't been cleared yet but the Monster marked it. The dwarves inadvertently blew his deception.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Going by how this comic goes, yeah, it's a marked door, that wasn't done, but it has the Gate in it.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2020-10-05 06:28pm Going by how this comic goes, yeah, it's a marked door, that wasn't done, but it has the Gate in it.
That's how it usually works, yes, but would he do that when the MitD isn't with them? Also, would he do that when we still have the hanging-plot of who grabbed the Sapphire Paladins to resolve?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

He can do that by running 4 threads at once

Thread 1 - Team Evil into the door, and then back out quickly when they see there are monsters. They decide they need to redo the doors, starting with that one. MITD gets dragged along, or put in a perm. forcecage.
Thread 2 - Paladins wake up, talk to kidnappers, and convince them to help them save the world.
Thread 3 - Roy and Co follow Team Evil into the door
Thread 4 - Surprise! During a commune with the Dark One, the Dark One pulls the negotations with Durkon from Redcloak, and decides to go talk to Thor and Loki. He wants PROOF...... and he's shown a certain Astral Graveyard.

Ends in 'The Knot' - Show down at the last gate. Guests include - The Snarl, the three Fiends, Haley's ex-thieves guild, Elan's father and friends, a pissed-off Aspect of Tiamat (when she figures out the slaughter of those Black Dragons was linked to the Fiends attempting to take the Snarl....), Sabine, a Half-Fiend Death Knight version of the dead members of the Linear Guild, Roy's Archon, Roys' Father, Roy's Grandfather, V's master, the two members of the Order of the Scrible Xykon has in a gem getting lose, and the dramatic reveal that the MITD is in fact a variety of Giant Space Hamster that Rich mentioned in a 'letter to the editor' that was published back in Dragon Magazine.

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Solauren wrote: 2020-10-07 01:49pm a pissed-off Aspect of Tiamat (when she figures out the slaughter of those Black Dragons was linked to the Fiends attempting to take the Snarl....),
Tiamat already knows; the Fiends had to promise her that 5 good dragons would be killed for every black dragon that died. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html , https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Nevermind, I missed what you meant.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

1217 is up

Durkon is being incredibly considerate here.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Smart use of the "Silence" spell.
I also hadn't noticed the wolf wasn't in the door.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

D'Aww. I do like Roy asking Elan specifically for his expertise. I'm re-reading the books at the moment and they've come a long way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yeah, Roy asking Elan if this 'feels right' is highly amusing. Elan's still not the brightest, but his Genre-Savvy is top-knotch. "Too many loose ends" is an understatement.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Very nice teamwork

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I agree it is almost like X amount of years of character growth is actually paying off!
AMAZING!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I kinda of want to ask now....

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I wonder what's up with the floor changing now that it's been brought to our attention? I assume there some teleportation / dimensional travel thing going on where different parts of the dungeon are in different places / worlds but I'd have thought Team Evil would have noticed that given their power levels.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

They don't have a rogue. In 3.5 using the Search/Disarm Devices skills on magical traps is restricted to rogues (and probably some other non-core classes I'm forgetting).

The Find Traps clerical spell could circumvent that, but it's a safe bet Redcloak never put any cross-class skill points into Search because the only person on Team Evil who he actually trusted was a rogue. And something happened to him a little while before they first ran into the Order.

Plus they're probably preoccupied planning how they intend to betray each other.