THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-07-27 11:07pm Also, why isn't Xyklon animating some of the monsters? You turn a bunch of them say, into Wraiths, and backed up by a high level cleric, they'll steam roll the dungeons, probably making more Wraiths in the process. Nice army of incorporeal beings that can go through walls and that to look for stuff for you.

Really, it's like 'Team Evil' is trying not to be horrifyingly evil.....
SHhhhhh DOnt' give them ideas.

But it's not going to matter. I foresee Sunny and Elan doing something to get caught
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-07-28 02:22pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-07-27 11:07pm Also, why isn't Xyklon animating some of the monsters? You turn a bunch of them say, into Wraiths, and backed up by a high level cleric, they'll steam roll the dungeons, probably making more Wraiths in the process. Nice army of incorporeal beings that can go through walls and that to look for stuff for you.

Really, it's like 'Team Evil' is trying not to be horrifyingly evil.....
SHhhhhh DOnt' give them ideas.

But it's not going to matter. I foresee Sunny and Elan doing something to get caught
Don't worry, I don't post on their Forums outside of the Homebrew rules very often :)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

It's a dungeon with monsters strong enough to give Xykon XP. Any undead they could create (and likely have off-screen) would be casually destroyed. Wraiths specifically have to be created from humanoids. If the place is warded against things like Passwall it presumably has protections against incorporeal things, and incorporeal creatures ability to pass through walls is more limited than you would think anyway.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Really depends on the monsters in question. Unless they're attacks are treated as magical weapons, then they only have a 50% hit chance against incorporeal creatures. We've seen no evidence of warding beyond the 'teleport them somewhere else trap', so I doubt there are incorporeal creature wards. (and if the Gate and dungeons are actually somewhere else, those wards arn't needed anyway).

And I admit, Wraiths can only be made from humanoids.

But since Rich is apparently pulling from any published WOTC Book (We've got a beholder, we've seen spells from secondary WOTC books), that means that...

Spectral Creature - (Most recent WOTC publication- Dragons of Faerun)
Can be applied to - Any Aberration, Animal, Dragon, Giant, Magical Beast or Monstrous Humanoid
Create Spawn (Su): Any aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid slain by a spectral creature rises as a spectral creature under the command of its killer in 1d4 rounds.
Any humanoid slain by a spectral creature rises as a normal spectre (MM 232) under the control of its killer instead.
A spectral creature can control a number of spawn equal to twice its HD.

The big challenge would be preventing the creation of Spectral Creatures that Red Cloak can't command.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Just calling it now - I am pretty sure that final dungeon is underneath the dwarf statue.
All the doors are just distraction.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LaCroix wrote: 2022-08-02 05:15am Just calling it now - I am pretty sure that final dungeon is underneath the dwarf statue.
If the dungeon is nearby, agreed.

Then again, they're are the North pole, right? Could easily be at the South Pole instead.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2022-08-02 08:21am
LaCroix wrote: 2022-08-02 05:15am Just calling it now - I am pretty sure that final dungeon is underneath the dwarf statue.
If the dungeon is nearby, agreed.

Then again, they're are the North pole, right? Could easily be at the South Pole instead.
No. Because the Rip in Space that leads to the Snarl is right there.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Strip 01264 is up

Not familiar enough with the source material to figure out what Redcloak intends here.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'll be damned.. He's calling on the Modrons.

Modrons, The Law of Order

The 5-armed is a Pentadrone, one of the Higher-ranked commanders. The others are all low-ranked duodrones.

They are all about ORDER and LAW, so they would do a search in a Lawful, Orderly manner. They're also Planar creatures, so they'd see the trap immediately

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

And would have absolutely no desire or motivation to help Xykon if they come into conflict.

Pretty sure Redcloak didn't burn a Gate spell on a CR 4 Pentadrone though. That's the sort of spell you cast to summon something like a pit fiend. I'm guessing it's a Quarton: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Quarton
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

First - did not see that coming.

Second - I can also see Modrons finding Xyklon annoying. Or him driving one or two 'Rogue'.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2022-08-11 12:25pm And would have absolutely no desire or motivation to help Xykon if they come into conflict.

Pretty sure Redcloak didn't burn a Gate spell on a CR 4 Pentadrone though. That's the sort of spell you cast to summon something like a pit fiend. I'm guessing it's a Quarton: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Quarton
Not a Quarton... count the arms.

But you are closer, as it is a Humanoid one, so not a Pentadron, but a Quinton (sp)?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Possibly, but that doesn't look like a tail to me. Still seems closer than anything else though.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Solauren wrote: 2022-08-11 07:24pm First - did not see that coming.

Second - I can also see Modrons finding Xyklon annoying. Or him driving one or two 'Rogue'.
I don't think they usually have enough personality to find anything annoying and I think Xyklon would probably just destroy them rather then trying to put the effort into turning them. Still lich boy is certainly the near opposite of their philosophy.

They are the perfect group to methodically search every single door, however, it may depend exactly what Red Cloak asks of them, they might end up searching every tunnel before reporting the teleport trap they noticed in the first one or not mentioning that fact at all because they were only told to look for a gate.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2022-08-11 11:40pm Possibly, but that doesn't look like a tail to me. Still seems closer than anything else though.
Ok, you've confused me.
WHAT tail? None of the Modrons have tails.
This one does have five arms and wings like the Modron Hierarchy is supposed to have.

I do love that the Modrons have terms and conditions. Redcloak is anal enough to pay attention.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I hope that 'Giant' (the authors handle on his boards) posts Redcloaks request instructions, in full. Why? Just so I can pick them apart :)

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Semi-interesting point from another board. The 'eats a bit of my soul' might be a new non-game way of referring to the XP loss associated with the gate spell.

Personally I think it's silly to be switching terms in the seventh of seven books but there you go.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Explanation for the npc not aware they have a ruleset?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-12 11:29amOk, you've confused me.
WHAT tail? None of the Modrons have tails.
This one does have five arms and wings like the Modron Hierarchy is supposed to have.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Quinton
Quintons were tall yet heavyset humanoid with four arms and a prehensile tail, all of which sported a five-fingered hand.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1265 is up

We get those instructions. Restrain the monsters. Keep track of the doors, and map the dungeon as they go.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Good, clear instructions.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Of course the mapping is going to be the interesting part, I'm going to guess that the teleport bit isn't going to be enough to give it a divide by zero error and the group will figure out what's going on.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I can see the Modron figuring out what's going on (sorta) and explaining it to them.

i.e
Teleportation, Planeshifting, Extradimensional Space, 4D Space.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1266 is up

The Modron's requested payment is... novel to say the least.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

And that's how you have a Lawful Neutral being make 'jerk request' and make it appear reasonable.

You know the Modron is laughing on the inside.
In a perfectly timed manner, but still....