THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2022-05-16 11:58pm Also, Serini doesn't have an effective way to attack Xykon either antimagic field or not; as an undead creature he's immune to both sneak attack and poison and that's her major method of dealing damage.
But Serini does have a number of allies and a beastiary of monsters strong enough to give an epic level sorceror-lich XP for killing them to call on for muscle.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2022-05-17 12:28am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2022-05-16 11:58pm Also, Serini doesn't have an effective way to attack Xykon either antimagic field or not; as an undead creature he's immune to both sneak attack and poison and that's her major method of dealing damage.
But Serini does have a number of allies and a beastiary of monsters strong enough to give an epic level sorceror-lich XP for killing them to call on for muscle.
Does she?
Or does she just have a bestiary of monsters all trapped inside tunnels in a mountain, with no control over them?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-05-18 08:00am Does she?
Or does she just have a bestiary of monsters all trapped inside tunnels in a mountain, with no control over them?
Allies, yes. As for the monsters, she was able to get them in there. I figure she can engineer for something big and nasty to come barrelling at Xykon at the exact wrong moment if she wants to.

Hitting Xykon with anti-magic isn't a hopeless plan, but I figure Sereni probably isn't willing to risk Sunny's life on it given that odds are good Xykon would manage to splatter him over the nearest wall within a round or two (with an epic Hellball or Super Meteor Swarm or whatever if nothing else). She'd probably have similar objections to the Order using him that way, though circumstances might change that.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1258 is up

Edit: Ha! It's the same bluff Xykon used at Azure City, none of the routes are correct. I suspected something like this.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, they're rolling high on INT rolls this time around.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Heh... more signs of INT amongst the group. Even sending the 'kids' off to do something else while the Adults talk.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-08 11:33am Heh... more signs of INT amongst the group. Even sending the 'kids' off to do something else while the Adults talk.
I just hope the 'kids' don't wander off to far and end up getting caught by team evil.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Bedlam wrote: 2022-06-08 01:40pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-08 11:33am Heh... more signs of INT amongst the group. Even sending the 'kids' off to do something else while the Adults talk.
I just hope the 'kids' don't wander off to far and end up getting caught by team evil.
They weren't told not to leave, so....

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1260 "Stew You" is up

A move to team evil while the order talk over things we already know. hmm, I'm wondering if this means MitD has gone up in age category or something? Kids are always hungry, growns ups less so.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-06-20 10:16am 1260 "Stew You" is up

A move to team evil while the order talk over things we already know. hmm, I'm wondering if this means MitD has gone up in age category or something? Kids are always hungry, growns ups less so.
Or, as one theory years back once thought, MitD is tied to the Snarl, and now that it's open and swallowing things (see the desert hole where it grabbed people) MitD is 'feeding' off that energy.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1261 is up

Almost rumbled MITD there but Redcloak's mind went down pre-existing patterns instead.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yep. Redcloak's mind is stuck in a rut, so stuck he can't see the real Secret Door.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Well, based on the information that Redcloak has, his conclusion does make sense.

He's just missing a valuable piece of information or two. Or rather, and asset, like a mid to high level Rogue with maxed out Spot/Perception, or a Arcane Spellcaster willing to cast Detect Magic when walking into a dungeon.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote: 2022-07-05 06:53pm Well, based on the information that Redcloak has, his conclusion does make sense.

He's just missing a valuable piece of information or two. Or rather, and asset, like a mid to high level Rogue with maxed out Spot/Perception, or a Arcane Spellcaster willing to cast Detect Magic when walking into a dungeon.....
Detect magic is on his own spell list as well. He has only himself to blame there. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2022-07-05 09:04pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-07-05 06:53pm Well, based on the information that Redcloak has, his conclusion does make sense.

Detect magic is on his own spell list as well. He has only himself to blame there. :wink:
True.

It's also possible there are anti-divination effects over the area that screw with detect magic until you're inside the swap area.
If that's the case, well, he still can only blame himself for not finding a decent rogue.

Hell, my wife has learned something over the course of her career as a player -
7th level wizard - learn Arcane Eye, and use it to scout where-ever they are going. Let's them prepare the appropriate (Bane Weapon) spells.
Then again, the other 7th level spell she learns is Orb of Force so.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1261 is out

Oona is a fun character I am enjoying. She is spelling out what we already knew about Redcloak though but it sheds a little more light on her as well that she understands a lot about what's going on.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oona is far smarter than RedCloak is giving her credit for.

Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

We all get that Oona knows Redcloak will choice "I am right" village over "best for goblins" village and thus the priority is keeping the bridge from going down, yes?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yep. Though she phrased it in a delightfully equivocal way to defuse Redcloak.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Redcloak having cosmic level arrogance and rationalisation despite formidable intellectual gifts is a great theme and I am here for it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'm not sure that Redcloak missed the subtle implication there so much as decided to dismiss it and file it away for later because it doesn't matter for the moment. He has willful blind spots and a massive sunk cost fallacy where his soul should be, but he's not stupid.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1263 is out

MitD's scheme is not working out how he hope but as O-Chul says it's more the effort that counts and they've not rumbled to him either.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Interesting uses of Detect Evil.

Still doesn't mean they'll find the hidden trap

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Probably not. At least not that way.
Especially since the Aura for Overwhelming Evil only lasts for 1d6 days (let's assume 6 as our Lich is the #2 Big Bad, with the Snarl being #1).

Realistically, they should map the doors out, do them in an order, and mark them off on said map (which is kept somewhere only Redcloak and the Lich know where it is, as they are the only two that need 'THE PLAN' to succeed). Maybe Arcane Mark them (they'd need a few cheap wands) as well.

Then, once they've done all the doors for sure, say twice, they should clue in "we're missing something", and then go looking for a Rogue, and possibly a Psion.

Also, why isn't Xyklon animating some of the monsters? You turn a bunch of them say, into Wraiths, and backed up by a high level cleric, they'll steam roll the dungeons, probably making more Wraiths in the process. Nice army of incorporeal beings that can go through walls and that to look for stuff for you.

Really, it's like 'Team Evil' is trying not to be horrifyingly evil.....