Thanos in the Star Wars galaxy (spoilers for Infinity War).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanos in the Star Wars galaxy (spoilers for Infinity War).

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Because I've got Infinity War still stuck in my brain.

Suppose that MCU Thanos's home world were transported, prior to its apocalypse, to the Star Wars universe. Thano's history up to the destruction of his home world and the beginning of his quest for the Infinity Stones is the same. The Infinity Stones accompany him, and are scattered across the Star Wars galaxy, specifically:

-The Power Stone is hidden in the tomb of a deceased Sith Lord on Korriban.

-The Reality Stone is in the keeping of the ruler of the Gungan people of Naboo.

-The Space Stone is hidden in one of the ruins on Yavin IV.

-The Time Stone is hidden in the Jedi Temple on Lothal.

-The Mind Stone is hidden in a secure vault in the Archives of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

-The Soul Stone is hidden in the ancient Jedi Sanctuary on Ach-Toh, next to the tomes of old Jedi Lore.

Thanos begins his quest around the same time that the Trade Federation blockades Naboo.

Scenario Two: the GFFA is one of the realms/dimensions of the MCU alongside Asgard, Midgard, etc., connected by a wormhole near Knowhere (on the MCU end) and Kessel (on the Star Wars end). Same time line. Events otherwise proceed as in canon up to the point that Thanos begins his quest for the Infinity Stones.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thanos in the Star Wars galaxy (spoilers for Infinity War).

Post by Solauren »

It depends WHEN in Star Wars history it's lined up to, and what version of Star Wars.

Be more specific
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Solauren wrote: 2018-06-30 10:38pm It depends WHEN in Star Wars history it's lined up to, and what version of Star Wars.

Be more specific
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-30 07:40pm Thanos begins his quest around the same time that the Trade Federation blockades Naboo.

Scenario Two: the GFFA is one of the realms/dimensions of the MCU alongside Asgard, Midgard, etc., connected by a wormhole near Knowhere (on the MCU end) and Kessel (on the Star Wars end). Same time line [In other words, starting around the blockade of Naboo]. Events otherwise proceed as in canon up to the point that Thanos begins his quest for the Infinity Stones.
The only question for the latter scenario might be what time in the MCU it starts. Unless you mean that it starts around the time of Thanos' destruction of his homeworld as well.

I have no comment just yet, apart from the obvious that a.) nobody in the Star Wars universe will be aware of the Infinity Stones and thus their location will be a complete mystery to them, and b.) while being noted as a planetary tyrant of some sort might be impressive, I honestly don't know enough about MCU Thanos (as versus comic version) to say how he would start from scratch, so to speak. Being the sole individual responsible for the destruction of his homeworld would be interesting, but would almost certainly draw the attention of the Jedi.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Which version of Star wars? Legends EU, or Disney EU?

Legends EU, then Thanos may have to face down with the Jedi Order, Exar Kun's spirit, who knows what on Korriban, and depending on things, he might end up facing down Darth Sidious himself.

Disney US, he just might not have to face down Exar Kun's spirit.

Let's also remember, if the Sith find out about Thanos, they're likely to send forces after him. I doubt Thanos would survive if Darth Sidious has allied drop a Seismic charge on him.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanos makes the Galaxy prosperous, flies to Naboo and sits in the sunset.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

True, there is a significant difference between Legends and Disney EU in that Disney hasn't been expanded upon very much at all. Disney version of the EU, Thanos basically cruises around picking up the Stones with only a few Jedi to oppose him. How effective that opposition could be... I don't know, but I suspect once he picks up a few of the Stones, they won't be able to do much against his brute-force powers.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If Thanos gets space stone, he can teleport self. After that, it's game over pretty much. Because even the ridiculously high SW hyperdrive speeds aren't like that.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-07-02 04:15pm If Thanos gets space stone, he can teleport self. After that, it's game over pretty much. Because even the ridiculously high SW hyperdrive speeds aren't like that.
Yeah. The Space Stone seems to not only give the ability to teleport instantaneously, but to give some kind of knowledge about where the user is going to. Thanos was teleporting to places he had never personally been before, and always landed close to his intended target. All he needs is star charts or maybe even just the name of where he wants to go, and he will be there.

And short of the wonky, overpowered and ridiculous Legends characters, I don't see anyone in SW that can stop Thanos in person. They'd need to carpetbomb wherever he is, but he can just teleport away.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If he's without the space stone, you could gravity bomb or death star him.

Assalti Frontali
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

A few turbolaser shots would probably do it if they can zero in on him.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2018-06-30 10:38pm It depends WHEN in Star Wars history it's lined up to, and what version of Star Wars.

Be more specific
Solauren wrote: 2018-07-01 03:30pm Which version of Star wars? Legends EU, or Disney EU?
Canon, ie, Disney EU.

Timeline-wise...

Scenario one starts just before the Trade Federation's blockade of Naboo.

For the second scenario, I realize its somewhat unclear, so let's say that the events of Thor (which is when the larger cosmic stuff began to appear in the MCU) line up with the invasion of Naboo.
Legends EU, then Thanos may have to face down with the Jedi Order, Exar Kun's spirit, who knows what on Korriban, and depending on things, he might end up facing down Darth Sidious himself.

Disney US, he just might not have to face down Exar Kun's spirit.
Honestly, Darth Sideous is a bigger threat than Kun regardless.
Let's also remember, if the Sith find out about Thanos, they're likely to send forces after him. I doubt Thanos would survive if Darth Sidious has allied drop a Seismic charge on him.
Presumes a ship can get through whatever allies/minions Thanos has around him. In Scenario Two, he'll have his full retinue (Chitauri, his minions from Infinity War, etc.).

In the first scenario, he'll have to recruit local forces, but if he could do so in his home universe, I assume he can do so in this one. Probably pirates/mercs and rogue Dark Siders. Possibly droid or clone troops, ultimately.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-07-01 01:40am

Be more specific
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-30 07:40pm Thanos begins his quest around the same time that the Trade Federation blockades Naboo.

Scenario Two: the GFFA is one of the realms/dimensions of the MCU alongside Asgard, Midgard, etc., connected by a wormhole near Knowhere (on the MCU end) and Kessel (on the Star Wars end). Same time line [In other words, starting around the blockade of Naboo]. Events otherwise proceed as in canon up to the point that Thanos begins his quest for the Infinity Stones.
The only question for the latter scenario might be what time in the MCU it starts. Unless you mean that it starts around the time of Thanos' destruction of his homeworld as well.

I have no comment just yet, apart from the obvious that a.) nobody in the Star Wars universe will be aware of the Infinity Stones and thus their location will be a complete mystery to them, and b.) while being noted as a planetary tyrant of some sort might be impressive, I honestly don't know enough about MCU Thanos (as versus comic version) to say how he would start from scratch, so to speak. Being the sole individual responsible for the destruction of his homeworld would be interesting, but would almost certainly draw the attention of the Jedi.
Question: Was the film version responsible for the destruction of his home world? IIRC, he claimed that his world was destroyed due to resource depletion/conflict after refusing his proposal of "kill half the populace". But that could be him just shading the truth.

As to the location of the Stones, the OP specified that some of them were in Jedi sanctuaries, or other known locations.

Specifically:

The Reality Stone is being held by the Gungans. Assume at least the Gungan chief and maybe his top generals know of it. And pray that its never in the same room as Jar Jar Binks. :wink:

The Mind Stone is in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Assume that at least the Council and the chief librarian know about it.

The Soul Stone is on Ach-Toh. The locals there know something powerful is in the Jedi sanctuary, but not exactly what it is.

The others (on Korriban, Yavin IV, and Lothal) are at most rumors among those who study arcane Jedi/Sith lore.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-07-03 07:51am
K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-07-02 04:15pm If Thanos gets space stone, he can teleport self. After that, it's game over pretty much. Because even the ridiculously high SW hyperdrive speeds aren't like that.
Yeah. The Space Stone seems to not only give the ability to teleport instantaneously, but to give some kind of knowledge about where the user is going to. Thanos was teleporting to places he had never personally been before, and always landed close to his intended target. All he needs is star charts or maybe even just the name of where he wants to go, and he will be there.

And short of the wonky, overpowered and ridiculous Legends characters, I don't see anyone in SW that can stop Thanos in person. They'd need to carpetbomb wherever he is, but he can just teleport away.
What about Force-pulling the Gauntlet off him?
K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-07-03 12:43pm If he's without the space stone, you could gravity bomb or death star him.
NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-07-03 02:03pm A few turbolaser shots would probably do it if they can zero in on him.
That works too, if you know what planet he's on and are willing to accept massive collateral damage.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Note for clarification: the Stones are only moved with Thanos to the Star Wars Galaxy in scenario one. In scenario two, they're still in the MCU, but the MCU is now connected to the GFFA.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-03 09:56pm Was the film version responsible for the destruction of his home world? IIRC, he claimed that his world was destroyed due to resource depletion/conflict after refusing his proposal of "kill half the populace". But that could be him just shading the truth.
I took it at face value, the film version was not responsible for the destruction of his homeworld (it, kind of like Easter Island, collapsed due to overpopulation and resource depletion, possibly misuse, too). He has no ulterior motive to "shade the truth" and indeed his entire dedication to his project only rests on the idea he is doing others a favor. If he just kills because he likes it, then his entire motivation is basically a giant ruse, which doesn't make anything more understandable, or the film better.

Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm inclined to agree, though he probably played a role in resources-related conflicts that wiped out the rest of the population.

I wouldn't consider Thanos's motives ultimately altruistic, of course. Film Thanos definitely strikes me as a narcissist who, whatever his original motivations, has become fixated on this one simplistic, brutal scheme as the only solution because he has a deep need to vindicate himself. Note how he claims that Gamora's positive qualities are due to him, or how he dreams of a grateful universe after having wiped out half the population of the universe, which is just delusional- most people aren't going to thank you for destroying their societies and murdering their loved ones, even if it was really necessary.

But I do suspect that he is telling the truth as he sees it.

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-03 09:51pm
What about Force-pulling the Gauntlet off him?
Hrm, well we'd need to dive into awful NUMBERS to see how many GIGANEWTONS of force (hah) a Jedi or Sith can exert with Force Pull. Because a mind-blasted Thanos was still able to retain the Gauntlet on his hand for at least a handful of seconds with fucking Spiderman and Iron Man trying to rip it off of him. They had zero chance of pulling it off of him while he was cognizant.

If they can rip it away in a second or two, then the Jedi/Palpatine have him. But if it takes any longer than that, I'm afraid that Thanos will just drop a fucking moon on them.
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

True.

Anyone care to speculate on whether light sabers can penetrate Thanos's hide? Personally I'm leaning against it, or at the very least they'd have reduced effectiveness (unless maybe if you went for the eyes or something). But I don't know if he'd be outright immune, if a skilled Force user managed to get close enough.