Harry Potter: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald Trailer.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Harry Potter: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald Trailer.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEaYB4rLFQ

So... a bit of Hogwarts, and younger Dumbledore. The look seems a bit off but the performance seems pretty good. Still not sold on Grindle-Depp's look, and I'm disappointed that it seems to be focussing more on the fight with Grindlewald than on the creatures, but at least it may be a more coherent movie than the last one, which felt like a light-hearted adventure/buddy comedy and a dark suspense/horror film awkwardly mashed together.

It looks like it'll be mostly in Europe this time. IIRC, the intent is to have each film focus on a different part of the magical world, which I approve of. It broadens the setting and gives us a better idea of the Wizarding World outside Britain.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Harry Potter: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald Trailer.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Plenty of sizzle there. I especially like the thestral drawn carriage.

I'm still a bit dubious about the Grindelwald/Dumbles story line. I didn't think they needed to do the epic, there would been plenty of material in just Newt's research and world tour.

Ah well. Hope it will be good anyway .
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

If we're seeing a lot of Hogwarts and Dumbledore...

Well, its too early now, but I wonder, depending on how large a time span the films cover, weather we might see young Tom Riddle at some point as well.

But the main appeal for me in these films is expanding the scope of the setting.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Credence looks angry.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-03-13 08:24pm Credence looks angry.
Well, he would be. :wink:

If he ends up able to control the Obscurus, though, he'll be kind of ridiculously overpowered.

Huh. I just realized that he's basically wizard Hulk. :)

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

I really hope they rework magic combat. Still pretty boring so far, and that was the major disappointment for me in the last one.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The film's approach to wizarding combat is actually less inventive than the books. With a few exceptions, it looks like just the same few moves spells over and over again.

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

I agree. And the battles between powerful wizards are still just both sides staring at each other, trying to beat the other guy's beam of lightning with their own.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ya, the only really interesting duel in the series thus far was Dumbledore vs Voldemort, and they turned part of it into a beam war for reasons.

The trailer seems to imply that Dumbledore can't go after Grindelwald directly for reasons and must send Newt to do some dirty work, wheras in the novels he held off because he was afraid of finding out the truth over who killed his sister. IIRC the deathly hallows films skips over that whole part of the conversation, so maybe that's not part of the movie verse?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2018-03-15 11:03am Ya, the only really interesting duel in the series thus far was Dumbledore vs Voldemort, and they turned part of it into a beam war for reasons.
It had a bit more variety in the spells' appearance, but mostly it came down to variations on the same theme- throwing power around in a crude slug fest, and for some reason nobody uses Avada Kedavra.

Compare to the duel in the book- Dumbledore pulls all sorts of clever tricks like animating the statues and using apparition to block or evade Voldemort's spells. It felt, reading it, almost like a dance. There was an elegance to how Dumbledore fought, such that even reading it on the page, I could tell that this was a master at work. That wasn't there in the film.

Harry and Voldemort's final duel is actually the best in the films, I think (followed by Grindlewald vs half of MACUSA), though the Harry vs Voldemort duel rather misses the point of their book confrontation.
The trailer seems to imply that Dumbledore can't go after Grindelwald directly for reasons and must send Newt to do some dirty work, wheras in the novels he held off because he was afraid of finding out the truth over who killed his sister. IIRC the deathly hallows films skips over that whole part of the conversation, so maybe that's not part of the movie verse?
That or Dumbledore is bullshiting because he's afraid, and because he can't tell Newt the real reason, just handwaves it with a vague explanation.

Though its possible that there's politics afoot. Nationalism of sorts seems to exist in the Wizarding World (Hagrid's disparaging comments about foreigners in book four, for example). So its likely that other wizarding governments would resent outside interference, especially if it makes them appear too weak to deal with their own problems. I certainly got that vibe from MACUSA in Fantastic Beasts I.

So it may be that European governments are resisting calling in a foreign wizard to deal with Grindlewald, and things haven't gotten bad enough yet for the international wizarding community to get its shit together and say "enough is enough".

That might also go some way toward explaining why there is no international intervention against Voldemort, even though he and his followers engage in multiple acts of terrorism and murder on other countries' soil.

Edit: The fact that Dumbledore appears to be being questioned about Newt's actions on his behalf by some sort of delegation in the trailer could fit either theory, maybe. They could be their to ask why he's sending Newt instead of going himself. Or they could be demanding to know why he's sending an agent to interfere in another country's affairs.