Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is actually quite good.

I've seen the original but don't have any particular attachment to it.

But this film was very fun take on it. Jumanji reinvents itself as a video game and sucks in five no-name teenage actors and spits out 4 better known actors and Dwayne Johnson. The actors generally get to play against type as they are still the teenagers characters and the disparity between character and actors provides a lot of the humour sprinkled with a few video games based jokes.

Quite predictable but done with genuine heart. I'd rec commend it.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Yea, I wasn't expecting much except to see Karen Gillan kick ass which she delightfully did, but it indeed was a good sequel (?). I never liked remakes or sequels that keep recalling too many details from the original movie as it seems to weigh it down more than they help, so it was nice to see how fresh and distinct they made this one. Only one I noticed was the brief call back to Robin Williams' character which was a nice touch.

Then again, Jumanji is not exactly a household title like Star Wars and Trek that can get themselves bogged down. However, it does goes to show that you can immerse yourself in the world in different ways without relying on the same old beloved characters.
Spoiler
They smashed the console, but that doesn't mean they smashed the cartridge or the original board game for that matter.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2017-12-29 08:01pm Only one I noticed was the brief call back to Robin Williams' character which was a nice touch.
I don't know how I missed that, but... I missed that.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-12-29 10:51pm
Soontir C'boath wrote: 2017-12-29 08:01pm Only one I noticed was the brief call back to Robin Williams' character which was a nice touch.
I don't know how I missed that, but... I missed that.
Oh, he was mentioned when they met the first playable character so it can be quickly missed.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."