"Guardians of the Galaxy"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

"Guardians of the Galaxy"

Post by Steve »

So, I'm tired, a bit queasy (it's Florida, heat, etc), and I'm not up to an in depth analysis.... so I'm just going to say "This movie was awesome" and let others say that other stuff. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Meest
Jedi Master

Re: "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Post by Meest »

Really like how before the early screenings, the talk was untested director and obscure characters will make it a flop, and now it's getting legitimate good reviews and the talk is biggest movie of the year so far. Good for everyone involved and hope it now makes less A list comics turn into movies.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Biggest movie of the year so far would mean it would take in over a billion at the box office. Not that I don't want it to, that would be an amazing win for Marvel and fans alike, but is that really possible?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Its' Thursday night was $11.2 million, 10% higher than Winter Soldier. Won't know for sure til Monday but I think it is going to have the biggest opening of the year. The movie is phenomenal from title sequence to after-credit scene.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Not as good as X-Men DoFP in terms of being a "good movie", but so much FUN! :D

I genuinely laughed out loud, like deep, meaningful belly laughs when watching it.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Crown wrote:Not as good as X-Men DoFP in terms of being a "good movie", but so much FUN! :D

I genuinely laughed out loud, like deep, meaningful belly laughs when watching it.
THAT'S A FAKE LAUGH!
ImageImage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Question; is there a teaser trailer for Avengers: AOU playing ahead of the film? A simply yay or nay will suffice, lest spoilers are divulged.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Nay.
ImageImage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Crown wrote:Not as good as X-Men DoFP in terms of being a "good movie", but so much FUN! :D

THAT'S A FAKE LAUGH!
It's real! :lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I just came back from seeing it and I must say it's was a fun movie and balanced "funny" and "serious" in a way that they complemented each other instead of fighting against each other.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Quoted from my own thread (How the hell did I miss checking Fantasy?)
Crossroads Inc. wrote:So After what seems like waiting FOREVER The movie is finally out at last!
And MY GOODNESS was that one hell of a Kick Ass Action flick!

Have to say So much of what I hoped to see, I got to see.
And so much of what I was worried about, turned out not to be a problem.
(unspoiled Review)

THE GOOD:
The introduction of Quinn was not nearly as Sappy as I was led to believe and turned out to be a genuine tear jerker
The introduction of the group was a classic "Everyone trying to kill each other is suddenly forced to band together" which worked better than I thought.
The jokes, like most of Marvel Humor, came off very nature and worked well for the character given the joke and didn't feel forced.
The action sequences were AMAZING. Plenty of good old explosions and snooty lasers, without it feeling "over the top" or explosions for the sake of blowing things up.
For an 'Avengers like' movie, where we got a lot of heirs all in one movie. They did a fairly good job doing both Action and character development and growth all at once.
Also, Groot, like The Hulk, gets some of the best "lines" in the movie despite not really saying anything :P

THE BAD:
The villain, while coming off as genuinely "villainous" and nasty, is one lone zealot with a warship, yet is able to terrorize a whole quadrant of the galaxy ((apparently)
More than a few "turn brain off regarding how science works" moments, but for the most part don't detract from the film.
Quinn's "Mysterious Secret" gets all of 15 seconds of explanation before the movie suddenly jumps past it.

Now for the spoilers... Spoiler
Did anyone else find it very VERY idiotic that The Collector, after getting the all important "Orb" decides to not just tell his "flunkies" all about it, but unlock it right in front of them? In a non protected area? where Anyone can reach out and grab it, which is of course exactly what happened?
I mean, unless he is one of those people that just HAS to show things off and gloat or what not... You'd think he'd:
A: Go "thank you for my orb, here is your money, now go away" and
B: Open the orb in a safe, secluded and secured location, preferably in a bomb shelter or something?

I was watching him start to open and immediately IKNEW that slave chick was going to grab it.. Oy Vey!

Also.. Does anyone else get annoyed of SciFi constantly having these ""powerful" galactic forces (in this case the NOVA Corp) who are evidently a big galactic player, very wealthy and advance, and... Don't seem to have a SINGLE Warship they can field against one lone Zealot? I mean All his ship did was launch fighters, I don't think I saw it shoot an offensive weapon ONCE. Once is this guy such a threat? And this is BEFORE he gets powered up with the stone!

Now.. On the less Bitchy side...
How freaking cool was it having to not just see Thanos, but actually get a speaking roll from the guy!
I mean, he has like 20 seconds of speech, but certainly makes the most of it! You could tell why he kept calling Ronin "Boy". I kept waiting for him to say something about Ronin being "small minded" or missing "the big picture" or something like that. because hey, that is certainly how things went down.
Theres a ton of other stuff I want to say, but I'll have to get back to it later, just got back from the movie and gots a lot to do today :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Great movie.
Spoiler
The Collector bit seemed a bit pointlessly contrived with the flunky accident which is quickly glossed over until the end credits bonus scene
However, at this stage I am extremely unhappy with the credit scene bullshit because it is a significant pain in the ass.

Waiting till the end of the movie to watch an extra scene was tiresome to begin with but now its two scenes which ends up with the cinema becoming a farce. Some people stay, some people leave then you have the actual cinema lights being kept on low so its harder to leave while at other times the lights brighten making people think no end scene exists.

At the very least I think the movies should actually give an indication before the credits that scenes will follow at the end, or just stop with that shit entirely.
If your that desperate to make people sit through credits, play them at the start along with the rest of the pre-film garbage.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

About the after credits Spoiler
It was a bit of fun, but nothing much serious even if the entire thing had been the collector sipping his drink while Cosmo licked his face but oh hey Howard. Nice joke
The move was a blast, Rocket was great, Grot was great. Star Lord started a touch annoying but...
Spoiler
You and me buddy! It's a dance off!
What are you doing?
I'm distracting you!
I loved that scene because for a moment the entire theater gave out a collective Huh? just as much as the villain did.
However yes the film had lowpoints, but they were few and the pacing made up for it and I have to say this has been the funniest movie to date. The instant Drax hits the movie is when the comedy goes up to 11. Before it's funny but once the gangs all together the interplay becomes amazing.

So yes go see it, it's a stand alone from the other Marvel movies... for now
Cross your fingers for the inevitable Guardians/Avengers team-up in 2020 which will make eleventy billion dollars.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'm still shocked that we got to see, even through flashback-expo-screen thing Spoiler
a goddamn Celestial, a living one, wrecking shit!

It helped emphasize the "Oh Crap" nature of the Stone's threat even more.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I wish I'd known it had basically no tie in with the other movies. Frankly, the humor just didn't land other than the diversion, the action was... Okay I guess but not engaging. Definitely the least interesting non Hulk Marvel movie.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Majin Gojira wrote:Spoiler

When did we see this?
ImageImage
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:

When did we see this?
Spoiler
When The Collector was talking about the Infinity Ge..Stones. A Celestial had one in a staff which he slammed on the ground, cutting to the world
it was on being destroyed.
Marikina
Redshirt

Post by Marikina »

AMT wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:

When did we see this?
Spoiler
When The Collector was talking about the Infinity Ge..Stones. A Celestial had one in a staff which he slammed on the ground, cutting to the world
it was on being destroyed.
Spoiler
I think it was Eson the Searcher
Also, how cool was it that even a severed Celestial's head could sustain life for an entire civilization to thrive?
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Block wrote:I wish I'd known it had basically no tie in with the other movies. Frankly, the humor just didn't land other than the diversion, the action was... Okay I guess but not engaging. Definitely the least interesting non Hulk Marvel movie.
Didn't you see the after-credits scene from from Thor 2?

Better quality, but cannot be embedded here
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I whipped this up as a laugh, but its probably true.

ImageImage
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I'd put one on my dashboard.
Truth fears no trial.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I whipped this up as a laugh, but its probably true.

Oh hell yeah, I'd own one!! That was my very first thought as I saw him dancing, and my sis and I about burst out guts trying not to laugh and drown out the movie. :mrgreen:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Marikina wrote:Also, how cool was it that even a severed Celestial's head could sustain life for an entire civilization to thrive?
I had been wondering WTF it was in the teaser trailers. Figures that only a Celestial would have a skull as huge as a planet. And they've been mining brain-cells, nerve cells, bone, etc for centuries? Wow.

The big question I have is Spoiler
How much of the Collector's collection is gone, as was the Infinity Gem/Black Ooze among the missing?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

The greatest single line in cinematic history was delivered in GotG:

"They got my dick message!"

Hard stop. Sorry "Patton's speech" and "Rosebud" and "Bill Pullman rallies the entire world" and "Every other word ever uttered by an actor ever" you've been Marvelled :lol:
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

My wife and I loved the whole thing. Even the cheesy moments were cheesy in that super lame/super great way. I've read a few sites comparing the style of the movie to Big Trouble in Little China, and I can sort of agree with it.

And while the cast was amazing (Chris Pratt in particular nailed Quill), my surprise MVP goes to Drax. Holy shit did Bautista nail the big literal muscle monster, making him both a dolt and a force to be reckoned with. Man did I get the feels where at the end, expecting him to make another dumb/funny line he instead dropped that bit about Spoiler
Standing with his wife and daughter.
Now Just start portraying Drax on Raw, Dave!

Awesome, awesome movie. If I wasn't such a Cap fanboy it would be my favorite Marvel flick. Now throw Gunn the keys to ALL the cosmic characters and make Kalee Sackoff the lead in Captan Marvel godsdammit!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay