Legend of Korra "Out of the Past" Talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Legend of Korra "Out of the Past" Talkback

Post by Steve »

As everyone figured, Korra - trapped in a metal box by Tarrlok - uses the time to meditate and figure out what her visions were over. As it turns out, Yakone was basically Republic City's criminal kingpin who had evaded every charge... until enough witnesses to his full-powered Bloodbending showed up. He tried to escape after his conviction by Bloodbending the entire court-room and was pursued by Aang; when he tried to kill him, Aang went Avatar State and then used his power to take away Yakone's Bending. This leads Korra to realize Tarlokk is Yakone's son. which he confirms to her in their final conversation.

I thought the flashback scenes were pretty fun too. "Twinkle Toes" stuck well past childhood, heh, and Sokka still loves his trusty boomerang. :) Combustion Man gets a name-drop as part of the justification for Yakone's conviction, since his defense was that all of the witnesses had to be lying since said ability was "impossible".

Meanwhile Tarlokk framed the Equalists for the abduction, so Tenzin, Lin, and the rest of "Team Avatar" came together to go after them. During this time Mako's clear concern for Korra, well, Asami sees reason to think that maybe Ikki's revelation about Korra's feelings were pretty true, especially when Bolin lets slip about Korra's kissing Mako. Mako's attitude when they finally do find Korra (will get to that in a minute) probably confirms it for her to an even greater degree. I'm now darkly wondering if Asami will stab them in the back - she betrayed her father and sided with them, just to have her boyfriend pick the Avatar over her? We'll see, given the previews for next week....

Anyway, they rescue the police officers captured by Sato, but the interrogation of the guards reveals Tarlokk's duplicity, which is confirmed by his secretary (what interesting timing; she witnessed the whole thing and just happens to pick the right moment?) Tarlokk bloodbends them to escape and goes back for Korra, to keep her as a hostage, but Amon and his lieutenant are there for them both. Amon overpowers Tarlokk's bloodbending with great effort and takes away his bending. He sends his lieutenant for Korra, instructing him to electrocute her in the box and take no chances. Korra uses her leather armband to hang from the grated top of the box and pretends being electrocuted, then catches them by surprise and escapes (fleeing when Amon goes after her directly). Naga finds her and brings her back to Republic City, where her howls attract the attention of Tenzin and the others.

Now, I personally wonder if the secretary is not in fact an Equalist agent. The timing of the reveal, knowing just the right things... and of course the fact that Amon and his group got to Tarlokk's private cabin through means unknown.

Tarlokk's not out of the game either; he was outright captured, so I wonder if we'll be seeing more of him.

Amon seems to be ready to deal with Korra now. Even if Sato was acting on his own initiative in The Aftermath to capture her, he was outright looking to pick her up in this episode. And given the promos for next week....

Yeah, to mention that; in two weeks we have an hour-long Legend of Korra coming up, touted as the season finale. It looks like Amon's ready to make his move - possibly aided by the fallout from the revelation of Tarlokk as a Bloodbender like Yakone, which will honestly due great damage to the credibility of the city government - and will be embarking on all out war against the bender population of Republic City.

And it looks like some of the gravest speculations might come true; the end of the promo had Amon preparing to take away Korra's bending. I figure either A) last second rescue of some sort, B) he finds he can't do it, or C)... he does it. Korra loses her bending, and the next season will have her find a way to regain it by getting in contact with the spirit world.

It looks like it'll be an awesome story, and I actually expect Amon will win this one for the moment regardless of whether Korra keeps her Bending or not. He'll take over Republic City and institute a totalitarian nightmare state to purge Benders and their sympathizers and rule by a cult of personality. Book 2 is more reasonably about reclaiming Republic City from him (while possibly keeping the rest of the world from destroying it in the effort to crush Amon).
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Legend of Korra "Out of the Past."

Post by Vehrec »

Latest episodes people, let's get to talking about things.

Like Mother of God, Amon is TERRIFYING.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Re: Legend of Korra "Out of the Past" Talkback

Post by Vehrec »

Damn you for posting this before me! Ah well, I suppose you've done a better job than me anyways.

I do think however that the 2-parter is still two weeks away. We've got three episodes left in the season, and unless they're using the last one for shipping...
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Vehrec wrote:Damn you for posting this before me! Ah well, I suppose you've done a better job than me anyways.

I do think however that the 2-parter is still two weeks away. We've got three episodes left in the season, and unless they're using the last one for shipping...
I'm pretty sure they said "next week" and "season finale".
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Temmybear
Redshirt

Post by Temmybear »

The promo said that the finale would be the 23rd.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am going to find this somehow and watch it, after the description in this thread.

However LoK has 3 more episodes to go, so I doubt the next 1 hour special will be the season finale.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hrm, maybe I misheard it....

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

There's still an episode next week, Turning the Tides. The week after that is the Skeletons in the Closet/Endgame special.
And it looks like some of the gravest speculations might come true; the end of the promo had Amon preparing to take away Korra's bending. I figure either A) last second rescue of some sort, B) he finds he can't do it, or C)... he does it. Korra loses her bending, and the next season will have her find a way to regain it by getting in contact with the spirit world.
Or she hits the Avatar State. I mean when she closed her eyes I expected them to fly open all glowy like, but you know, trailer.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Amon was almost immune to bloodbending. Something even the Avatar is not. Something is not natural about that man.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Ford Prefect wrote:There's still an episode next week, Turning the Tides. The week after that is the Skeletons in the Closet/Endgame special.
Or she hits the Avatar State. I mean when she closed her eyes I expected them to fly open all glowy like, but you know, trailer.
Makes sense, after all we saw adult Aang go avatar as a response to Spoiler
Having his fucking wrists twisted 180 degrees (and the A.state somehow healing them and breaking him out of the blood bending), when his neck was about to get twisted off like a bottle cap
Compared to that, it should be rather easy to do.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Sarevok wrote:Amon was almost immune to bloodbending. Something even the Avatar is not. Something is not natural about that man.
Yeah, at this point it's not a question of who's under the mask. It's what's under that mask.

"I am...the solution," is hands down the single most terrifying line of the entire show so far.

I agree we haven't seen the last of Tarrlok -- but removing him from the political arena isn't going to help their case given these revelations.

Based on the preview, you can see White Lotus guards in that prisoner camp. I've got a bad feeling about Pema and the kids -- unless Tenzin gets them the hell out of the City given recent developments.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

That scene in the preview where Amon seems to be about to take Korra's bending... It looks a lot like Korra and Mako are being held down by bloodbending there.

It's a theory that I've seen brought up before: Amon doesn't remove bending, but steals it. It's looking a lot more likely at this point.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bright wrote:That scene in the preview where Amon seems to be about to take Korra's bending... It looks a lot like Korra and Mako are being held down by bloodbending there.

It's a theory that I've seen brought up before: Amon doesn't remove bending, but steals it. It's looking a lot more likely at this point.
It does seem one of the few ways to make a full on Avatar State-Korra vs. Amon fight balanced.

I also find it interesting that Aang considered warning her about Tarrlok more of a priority than helping her with Amon. Either there isn't anything in his past that's linked to the Equalists...or there's another clue in the flashbacks and Korra missed it the first time around.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Bright wrote:That scene in the preview where Amon seems to be about to take Korra's bending... It looks a lot like Korra and Mako are being held down by bloodbending there.

Possible, but that'd actually diminish his worth as an antagonist - by shifting him from "extremist with the wrong, but well-meaning goals" to "man lusting for power".

I prefer the version where Amon is simply an full-blown energy-bender without having elemental bending-abilities- it'd tie nicely into the ending for TLA, we know that it is possible (energybending was there before elemental bending), it'd explain his combat-prowess and resilience to bloodbending, it'd explain why Aang is trying to communicate Energybending to Korra AND it would expand the Avatar-verse.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I personally think that Amon is an elemental bender, hence why he managed to shrug off bloodbending.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Except Elemental Benders have never demonstrated the ability to shrug off Bloodbending, so...? Tarrlok's blood bending worked on... everyone else he was shown using it against, bender or non-bender, except for Amon. Yakone's bloodbending likewise seemed to work on everyone he used it against, even Aang, until Aang entered the Avatar state. Being able to shrug off Bloodbending does nothing to prove he's an elemental bender.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I am more interested that it did affect Amon, only not enough to do more than slow him down a few seconds. At first I thought it was not affecting him at all, but then Tarrlok redoubled his efforts and saw Amon hesitate. I get the feeling that even if Amon cannot bend the elements, he knows more about blood bending than Tarrlok does. Maybe the spirits are involved again?
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Except Elemental Benders have never demonstrated the ability to shrug off Bloodbending, so...? Tarrlok's blood bending worked on... everyone else he was shown using it against, bender or non-bender, except for Amon. Yakone's bloodbending likewise seemed to work on everyone he used it against, even Aang, until Aang entered the Avatar state. Being able to shrug off Bloodbending does nothing to prove he's an elemental bender.
None of those other elemental benders knew how to bloodbend per se. My speculation is that Amon may know a little bit of it, forbidden as it may be. He bloodbent his own blood to counteract Tarlokk's bloodbending.

This is of course not proof, which is why in a previous thread I said it was purely my speculation. But given that some bloodbending moves can be done without a corresponding martial arts gesture (witness Yakkone do it by just showing his eyes bulge out), it does explain how to counteract bloodbending. Its not the only explanation of course, but to my mind it is consistent in what has been demonstrated.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Do you have a link, since my source didn't show next weeks preview.
Serafina wrote:
I prefer the version where Amon is simply an full-blown energy-bender without having elemental bending-abilities- it'd tie nicely into the ending for TLA, we know that it is possible (energybending was there before elemental bending), it'd explain his combat-prowess and resilience to bloodbending, it'd explain why Aang is trying to communicate Energybending to Korra AND it would expand the Avatar-verse.
Its a matter of what your taste lies I suppose. Alcibiades is considered an interesting historical figure who switched sides several times during the Peloponnesian War. I am going to hazard a guess he did for power rather than principles per se.

Personally if Amon was "just" a man lusting for power it would be less entertaining than if he believed in his own propaganda. However I think the twist that he really is just a man lusting for power and the propaganda was just that, a way to get followers it more than make up for it, given that the portrayal does suggest he believes his own propaganda. And if it does turn out that he steals bending powers, that would make a hell of an awesome fight scene.

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Given the East Asian mythological themes does Amon being an anti-Avatar make sense in context of the series ? Sort of like how in the Force of Star Wars (also inspired by Taoism) both light side and dark side have their own designated champions ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

East asian religions and mythology don't really have an anti-christ/whatever concept per se; though balance is a big thing for a few.

The big religions that the series likely draws from is: Buddhism, Taoism, Daoism, Folk Religionism and Shintoism variants and sects aside. Political philosphical religions and ideologists like Confucianism, Mohism, political Taoism, Emperor/Ancestor Worship and the other major regional religions of Hinduism and Islam don't seem to be prevelent at all.

So it's probably Buddhism we're looking at if we want to see if balancing forces and Anti's exist but past this I don't know, I never took world history of religions class.
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

Haruko wrote:Maybe the spirits are involved again?
If they are, I'm betting Koh will be behind Amon in some way or another. Based on absolutely nothing but Koh's age/knowledge and Amon's mask.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

mr friendly guy wrote:

Do you have a link, since my source didn't show next weeks preview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTeRJ5EuXb4
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Haruko wrote:I am more interested that it did affect Amon, only not enough to do more than slow him down a few seconds. At first I thought it was not affecting him at all, but then Tarrlok redoubled his efforts and saw Amon hesitate. I get the feeling that even if Amon cannot bend the elements, he knows more about blood bending than Tarrlok does. Maybe the spirits are involved again?
Maybe, or more likely he just uses chibending to block the chi that Tarrlok uses to manipulate the blood as it surrounds/touches his body. He's simply using his own bending to counter Tarrlok in a direct and unexpected fashion.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Vendetta wrote:
Haruko wrote:I am more interested that it did affect Amon, only not enough to do more than slow him down a few seconds. At first I thought it was not affecting him at all, but then Tarrlok redoubled his efforts and saw Amon hesitate. I get the feeling that even if Amon cannot bend the elements, he knows more about blood bending than Tarrlok does. Maybe the spirits are involved again?
Maybe, or more likely he just uses chibending to block the chi that Tarrlok uses to manipulate the blood as it surrounds/touches his body. He's simply using his own bending to counter Tarrlok in a direct and unexpected fashion.
That's my thought, too.