Crowdfunding drive to build life-sized Minas Tirith replica.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crowdfunding drive to build life-sized Minas Tirith replica.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yes, some very ambitious people want to recreate Minas Tirith for the modest price of nearly three billion dollars. Based on how much they want compared to how much they've raised, I fully believe they'll fail, but I'm still kind of impressed by the audacity of it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/13/lo ... ng-project
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Posted August 13 2015 — 9:51 AM EDT

A group of architects and Lord of the Rings fans is hoping to bring a slice of J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy world to life. It’s just going to take a lot of funding to do so.

An IndieGoGo campaign has been set up to raise funds in the hopes of building a real-world Minas Tirith (also known as Minas Anor), the capital city of Gondor. The city was seen in full, as in the picture above, in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the RIngs: The Return of the King, and the Tolkien fans behind the project hope to build their own version.

The price-point they’re hoping to reach on IndieGoGo? Well, that’s where the dream faces its biggest challenge. The team who started the project are looking to raise £1.85 billion, which is roughly $2.9 billion. For reference, the highest-grossing IndieGoGo campaign in U.S. dollars took in $12.8 million, while the Pebble Time took in about $20 million on Kickstarter. So yes, if the Minas Tirith campaign were to succeed, it would become the biggest crowdfunding project by a massive margin.

At the moment, however, 12 days into the 60-day campaign, the project has raised a little over £16,000. There are myriad tiers to pledge money, including a £10,000 option to become a Lord or Lady of the city, though the architects and engineers running the project promise that no one will be charged if they don’t hit their goal. If they do, they plan to start building in 2016 and hopefully completed by 2023.

Check out the campaign to see their general plans for the city, which would have both residential and commercial areas, and just what exactly all of that money would go toward. And until the campaign ends, there are always virtually built versions of Minas Tirith you can visit.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Re: Crowdfunding drive to build life-sized Minas Tirith repl

Post by Patroklos »

I feel like Rivendell is a more achievable and overall smarter project, but good luck to them.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

link to actual campiagn. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/real ... ith#/story

They were on £8000 yesterday. I might chuck £50 at them, it's very unlikely to fund, and thus I loose nothing :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

It's on £52,000 at the moment. Impressive, I have to say...but my cynical side is questioning why the media picked up on this campaign rather than the frankly hundreds of more worthwhile causes out there. Guess I'm getting old...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Their are a lot of things that are more worthy of the attention and money, some of which are neglected. But I've got to admit that their's something about this idea that's catchy, and if they pull it off it'll bring in a lot of money through tourism.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

A) While the idea is interesting I think the money could be better put to use elsewhere

B) No chance you are going to raise 2 billion within 60 days

C) This project seems woefully lacking on how they managed to come up with the numbers.
"In order to realise this amazing dream, we have estimated our required budget to be in the region of £1.85bn. The vast majority of this expense would cover building costs - £15m for land, £188m for labour and £1.4bn for material. The remainder of the money will be invested in maintenance and public services until the year 2053.
These numbers seem low for a project that is trying to replicate an entire city sized castle. Even at a significantly reduced scale, this would be impractical to build. Although I am curious to know if it would be possible for the modern world to pull it off and if LOTR could be reasonably expect to pull it off with their technology without magic bullshit.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think they may have gotten the "how much money we need for building materials" right. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of provision for labor, and very little for things like legal issues, environmental impact statements, and the like.

188 million pounds is enough money to pay, oh, ten thousand construction workers for a year? Something on the order of that. That's plenty of manpower to build a castle, but not to build a city, I think.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

not mention that unless they find a suitble hill they'll have build that one too, I mean the Rohan capital was actually built to lifesized on an actual New Zealand hill and it's tiny compared to the film version of Minas Tirith.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, that would be a problem.

Still, it would be amazing if their actually was a life-sized Minas Tirith replica that you could walk around in.

Edit: Also, to give an idea of the scale of this, while I don't know the exact size of the movie version, I believe I read that the book version is 700 feet from the ground to the uppermost level of the city and a thousand feet from the ground to the top of the central citidel.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Simon Jester wrote:188 million pounds is enough money to pay, oh, ten thousand construction workers for a year? Something on the order of that. That's plenty of manpower to build a castle, but not to build a city, I think.
Modern construction tools are a wonderful thing, though. I seem to recall CastleMagic in Idaho building full-sized castles on a crew of five.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Just build a massive concrete extension to the Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy to create the sticking out mountain ledge bit and your job done. It being a world heritage site might be a slight issue.

I would have thought building a couple of hobbit holes and getting some of the interior sets recreated would be a much more realistic plan - the Harry Potter studios is a roaring success in London so something similar but with LotR would be great but I guess this is more a theoretical proposal than something they actually want to do.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

A full scale Minas Tirith would be taller than Edinburgh castle, bigger than Winsdor and the cost puts it twice as much as the Wembley Stadium. The major issue is what scaling are they going to use and what exactly are they filling it with.
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

PREDATOR490 wrote:A full scale Minas Tirith would be taller than Edinburgh castle, bigger than Winsdor and the cost puts it twice as much as the Wembley Stadium. The major issue is what scaling are they going to use and what exactly are they filling it with.
As for filling it, I've seen several proposals for 'new towns' like this where the initial money goes toward the concept, the groundwork, the utilities, and that kind of thing. The people who come to live and work in it pay to build their own buildings and there is usually some kind of design standard they have to stick to. Usually they are on a smaller, more sensible scale though.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Why...why are people talking about it as if it's anything other than a pisstake?
They need to raise 1.85 BILLION POUNDS. It is not a serious endevour. :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Because.... Don't shit on our dreams, you meanie! :x :wink:

Seriously though, it is interesting to consider how such a project could be done.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is at least believable that you could get two million people to donate a few thousand dollars to such a project, over time. Doing it in a couple of months is borderline unthinkable.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I think only trying to rely on crowdfunding and in such a short amount of time will kill this.

If they had a more reasonable number over a larger period of time this might be more feasible. It would be even more feasible if this was a combo crowdfunded/investor funded thing. Talk to whoever owns the right to LOTR and see about setting up a partnership. Look for some local and international sponsors. Getting enough crowdfunding would show that there is enough interest in this to make this more appealing to investors.

With them asking for billions though most people are going to pass this up as either a crank or the highly unrealistic goal that it is. If they were asking for like 5 million as an initial goal with possible later campaigns it would probably get funded and will show investors there is interest.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

This is not meant to succeed. It's a stunt, nothing more.

And even if it did, let's face facts. If you suddenly got 2 billion in your bank account, wouldn't you be fleeing to a country without extradition treaties?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I just wonder how much of the cost would go to erecting the mountain ridge behind it. :P
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I sincerely wonder what the hell will they do if they actually manage to build the thing. Start an amusement park? Rent it to... who? What?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Zixinus wrote:I sincerely wonder what the hell will they do if they actually manage to build the thing. Start an amusement park? Rent it to... who? What?
I think the idea is to have hundreds of premium-priced apartments and properties. They essentially want to create a living, functioning city - except they won't because it costs £2 billion and will never, ever be built.
Were I a multi-billionaire...I may well be tempted, after I get my private space exploration company built up.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It would have been a much better idea to go with a Shire theme instead. You could market it to environmentalists, since these would be very energy-efficient homes by their very nature (green roofs and all).
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Borgholio wrote:It would have been a much better idea to go with a Shire theme instead. You could market it to environmentalists, since these would be very energy-efficient homes by their very nature (green roofs and all).
Well, at least they didn't try recreating Mordor, complete with mile-high Barad-Dur and flaming Great Eye. Give them some credit for subtlety :P

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Chimaera wrote:
Borgholio wrote:It would have been a much better idea to go with a Shire theme instead. You could market it to environmentalists, since these would be very energy-efficient homes by their very nature (green roofs and all).
Well, at least they didn't try recreating Mordor, complete with mile-high Barad-Dur and flaming Great Eye. Give them some credit for subtlety :P
Now I'd pay to live there!
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Plenty of environments like Mordor in the real world. I'm sure the people forced to live there would be happy to take your money.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'