Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers)

Post by Mr Bean »

Duplicating the no spoiler thread from Season 1 and Season 2. First episode is “Valar Dohaeris”

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers

Post by gigabytelord »

I wish I had cable!!!!! Why god why?!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

We've been watching the last few episodes this afternoon, and after watching this video by Lindybeige, Game of Thrones is now unintentionally funny:

Though the only "schwing" that concerns me is the one Ros causes...

Fifteen minutes to kickoff!
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Their was a substantial reduction in gratuitous nudity in this episode. I appreciate that, overall though I thought it was a pretty ok episode. It felt very scattered, because they had to give everyone an introduction for a season opener. They probably would have been better off with a 2 hour block or something.

Mance Rayder did not disappoint, I can see why they chose this guy to play Caesar in Rome.

I like Margery Tyrell a lot now though. Her well meaning nature serves as an interesting contrast to the sickening tyranny of the Lannisters.
Best care anywhere.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

CaptHawkeye wrote:I like Margery Tyrell a lot now though. Her well meaning nature serves as an interesting contrast to the sickening tyranny of the Lannisters.
Pretty sure that's just a facade.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I hope she keeps up that facade, as something actually ends up coming out of it. Children a little less miserable, less people flinging poo, more food being distributed. Way better than no facade at all.

Then again less poo being flung at Joffrey. Damn.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Haruko wrote:I hope she keeps up that facade, as something actually ends up coming out of it. Children a little less miserable, less people flinging poo, more food being distributed. Way better than no facade at all.

Then again less poo being flung at Joffrey. Damn.
Less poo being thrown at Joffrey = fewer innocents being slaughtered in the streets, and that's fine by me.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Crown wrote:
CaptHawkeye wrote:I like Margery Tyrell a lot now though. Her well meaning nature serves as an interesting contrast to the sickening tyranny of the Lannisters.
Pretty sure that's just a facade.

:lol: Yeah, it's such a facade that she told the Sister at the Orphanage to come directly to her whenever the Orphans need food or shelter. I think it's hilarious that people are so used to the characters in the show being such despicable monsters that they think their is an ulterior motive behind shit like giving an Orphan a toy.
Best care anywhere.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'm not sure if I'm being trolled here, it is after all April Fool's Day and this board has a truly epic and well document sense of Fool's Day spirit, but come the fuck on! You people have never seen a politician posing to have his picture taken with children?

What is wrong with you simpletons that you need the obvious spelt out to you in giant neon fucking signs?

Here let me help you;
  • She was willing to be in a faux relationship in order to be Queen with Renly who was more interested in back door shenanigans with her brother
  • No sooner than her 'dear beloved' had died than she made a deal with Littlefinger in order to marry Joffery and be his Queen (so much for the period of mourning eh?)
  • She's entered a city 100% under the control of the Lannister's and has very littler power base there other than the food she's bringing in, which is going to the masses
  • Her generosity to the orphans is a trivial pittance of financial burden for her or her house to maintain and it endears her to the masses.
This is all from the show and not having read the books, but lets be clear this isn't Sansa a doe-eyed little girl with her head in the clouds, her daydreams filled of visions of gallant knights and lovely maidens. This is a shrewd political animal who is getting ready to un-seat Queen Bee Bitch Cersie.

Can't wait to see how it ends.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now I saw an ad for microsoft involving maegary and khalessi playing stratagy games online. Obviously it's give me a child at x-age and i'll make them into my army of 900% loyal followers....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

You know, it's entirely possible for it to be both. Margaery could be a shrewd, ambitious politician who also cares about poor people and their welfare. Or even a calculating political animal who isn't a sociopath and feels that it's nice for regular people to not starve to death in the streets whenever them doing so doesn't benefit her.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Crown wrote:I'm not sure if I'm being trolled here, it is after all April Fool's Day and this board has a truly epic and well document sense of Fool's Day spirit, but come the fuck on! You people have never seen a politician posing to have his picture taken with children?

What is wrong with you simpletons that you need the obvious spelt out to you in giant neon fucking signs?

Here let me help you;
  • She was willing to be in a faux relationship in order to be Queen with Renly who was more interested in back door shenanigans with her brother
  • No sooner than her 'dear beloved' had died than she made a deal with Littlefinger in order to marry Joffery and be his Queen (so much for the period of mourning eh?)
  • She's entered a city 100% under the control of the Lannister's and has very littler power base there other than the food she's bringing in, which is going to the masses
  • Her generosity to the orphans is a trivial pittance of financial burden for her or her house to maintain and it endears her to the masses.
This is all from the show and not having read the books, but lets be clear this isn't Sansa a doe-eyed little girl with her head in the clouds, her daydreams filled of visions of gallant knights and lovely maidens. This is a shrewd political animal who is getting ready to un-seat Queen Bee Bitch Cersie.

I'm not completely clear on what constitutes "spoilers", or when its safe to unspoilerize so I'll err on the side of caution, but everything in the below is from this weeks episode (and previous seasons). I haven't read the books, so no worries there.
Spoiler
As far as Margery goes, It would also be a shocking twist if she did turn out to have some genuine concern for the poor lol. But I agree, the most likely scenario is that it is all part of the PR game to endear her to the people of Kings Landing, and possibly give Joffrey's reputation a much needed shine.

It is also interesting to see how Joffrey interacts with Margery compared to Sansa. He seems almost... intimidated by her. In fact, he seems much less arrogant overall. I'm not sure if it was because he had his first taste of battle, and became aware just how close he was to defeat, Margery's influence, or a great combination of factors. Be interesting to see how that plays out.

Other Lannister thoughts:

Bronn being knighted was interesting. Clearly it was a recognition for his contributions during the battle of Blackwater, somewhat surprising given that Tyrion was given virtually no credit for his contributions. Tyrion's interactions with his father seemed to indicate to me that Cersei may have had a lot to do with that lack of credit. Telling her father that it was "Typical Tyrion, just getting drunk and whoring around during his entire time in Kind's landing". It also explains her great concern as to what Tyion would tell their father when they did meet. It would appear from Tywin's perspective that Tyrion was given a chance to prove himself and blew it again with his antics. I'm interested to see how that dynamic plays out as well.

They seemed to have the majority of the interesting interactions in this episode. The rest of it seemed to be more setup/filler, but they set the stage none the less. Dannaerys seems as though she will finally have an army, so I'm curious to see what she does with it along with Ser Barristan now apparently in the fold. Dissention in the ranks of the North, white walkers marching on the wall. Looking forward to those developments as well.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

TheHammer wrote:Spoiler
Bronn being knighted was interesting. Clearly it was a recognition for his contributions during the battle of Blackwater, somewhat surprising given that Tyrion was given virtually no credit for his contributions.
Spoiler
Presumably those things are not unrelated. Cersei and Tywin would have every reason to want to undermine the loyalty of Tyrion's sellsword former leader of the goldcloaks bodyguard by rewarding him with things Tyrion can't give him.

I also don't think Tywin ever needs any prodding or manipulation to not give Tyrion credit for anything.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Ralin wrote:You know, it's entirely possible for it to be both. Margaery could be a shrewd, ambitious politician who also cares about poor people and their welfare. Or even a calculating political animal who isn't a sociopath and feels that it's nice for regular people to not starve to death in the streets whenever them doing so doesn't benefit her.
I agree with this assessment. I doubt that she is completely ignorant of the King's real personality, after all, his Majesty is quite open about his cruelty. Notice too, that she is quick to praise the Queen's dress. I doubt that it was an accident that her box-thing just happened to cross the path of the king's when she disembarked.

However, if this is a power play to underhand even the Lannisters, there is the fact that she has put herself needlessly at risk, even sullying her dress. If she just wanted to sown the seed of sympathy towards her, she could have easily just ordered the food be distributed. If she is doing a power play, she is either being very brave or she really knows what she is doing.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Crown wrote:I'm not sure if I'm being trolled here, it is after all April Fool's Day and this board has a truly epic and well document sense of Fool's Day spirit, but come the fuck on! You people have never seen a politician posing to have his picture taken with children?
:lol: Except that Margeary wasn't prioritizing the attention she would get. She quietly told the Sister to come to her about the Orphan's needs. Yeah such an obvious PR move ermaghad. Why would she tell the Sister this? Just to fuck with people right? Unreal, i'd never want to encounter you in a burning building. You might refuse someone trying to rescue you out of fear they'd charge you for the service or something.

Here let me help you;
All of this evidence only proves she's shrewd, not that she hasn't a single care for anyone else.

You couldn't have been more ignorant of Sansa's character development if you tried.
Best care anywhere.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Sansa seems to have grown some fangs if you ask me, give it some more time in this hell hole and she'll be one ruthless woman.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

CaptHawkeye wrote::lol: Except that Margeary wasn't prioritizing the attention she would get. She quietly told the Sister to come to her about the Orphan's needs. Yeah such an obvious PR move ermaghad. Why would she tell the Sister this? Just to fuck with people right? Unreal, i'd never want to encounter you in a burning building. You might refuse someone trying to rescue you out of fear they'd charge you for the service or something.
She was in a room. Full of children. Handing out toys. Yeah, stealth was her middle name and Assassin's Creed was her game. :roll: She told the sister to come 'directly' to her for aid, not to take a vow of silence or forbid her (or all the little orphans) of telling anyone that she was there and what she had offered. Word of her actions reached the royal court, you can bet that all of flea bottom knew about it too.
CaptHawkeye wrote:All of this evidence only proves she's shrewd, not that she hasn't a single care for anyone else.
And when did I say she didn't, or couldn't care for anyone else? All I said was that whole thing was a facade, and provided a case in point to illustrate what a clever political animal she is. Lets just point it out once again; not a few months ago she was stylin' herself Queen on the arm of a man who was in open rebellion to Joffery and now she finds herself engaged to him through her own will. This wasn't her father deciding her fate, this is her directing it. She's playing the Game of Thrones, pay attention.
You couldn't have been more ignorant of Sansa's character development if you tried.
Bullshit. You have all of Seasons 1, 2 and one episode of 3 to point out my 'ignorance'.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Crown wrote:
Bullshit. You have all of Seasons 1, 2 and one episode of 3 to point out my 'ignorance'.
I think your characterisation of Sansa is accurate as of Season 1, but not Season 2. In Season 2 Sansa clearly is trying to survive by doing everything expected of her, a shield of the expected lies no matter how many opportunities she gets to expose herself and how she really thinks. She's not playing the game, but she knows how to stay alive. Tyrion marvelling at how she'll outlive them all in Episode 4 of Season 2 was great.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Even though we don't see her very often, I'm waiting to where the directors take her character.

I know where she goes and what happens from the books (at least the ones GRRM has released so far) but I want to see how it turns out in the series, it'll either be marvelous or cliche, and personally I'm liking the direction the series is going.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Crown wrote:
She was in a room. Full of children. Handing out toys. Yeah, stealth was her middle name and Assassin's Creed was her game. :roll: She told the sister to come 'directly' to her for aid, not to take a vow of silence or forbid her (or all the little orphans) of telling anyone that she was there and what she had offered.
Which is substantial improvement over...not stopping and gauranteeing an Orphan's well being as Joffrey probably would have done. Next you'll tell me it's not the job of leaders to ensure their popularity by...doing popular things.
Word of her actions reached the royal court, you can bet that all of flea bottom knew about it too.
So what?
CaptHawkeye wrote:
And when did I say she didn't, or couldn't care for anyone else? All I said was that whole thing was a facade, and provided a case in point to illustrate what a clever political animal she is. Lets just point it out once again; not a few months ago she was stylin' herself Queen on the arm of a man who was in open rebellion to Joffery and now she finds herself engaged to him through her own will. This wasn't her father deciding her fate, this is her directing it. She's playing the Game of Thrones,

The people of King's Landing are going to care about this how? What do Margeary's love affairs have anything to do with them?

I'm curious, what was your opinion on the Monica Lewinsky scandal?
pay attention
Fuck off. All I did was say Margeary has a good nature. You blew it up into "OMG YOU SO STUPUD". If only I could get a blowjob for every time some dork on this website thought they were being so helpful to me by pointing out the HARD FACTS and TOUGH DECISIONS.
You and I clearly aren't watching the same show.
Best care anywhere.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

The best part of Margeary's visit is the awkward conversation it caused at dinner that night. Joffrey is visibly confused by the idea of not being a bastard, and Cersei is immediately dismissive of it as weak and naive. I was waiting for Margeary to tell Cersei "You see, fewer people will try to murder you if you give them less reasons for wanting to.", but then she would just be Tyrion. She has more sense than to snark openly, apparently, which puts her another step ahead of the Lannisters.

Already more interesting than book! Margeary.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Indeed, but Cersei is so stupid she stands there trying to "inform" Marg of how dangerous the city is because of a time they were almost killed by riot they started. A story of which Joffrey and Cersei can't even agree on the details of.
Best care anywhere.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The best part of Margeary's visit is the awkward conversation it caused at dinner that night. Joffrey is visibly confused by the idea of not being a bastard, and Cersei is immediately dismissive of it as weak and naive. I was waiting for Margeary to tell Cersei "You see, fewer people will try to murder you if you give them less reasons for wanting to.", but then she would just be Tyrion. She has more sense than to snark openly, apparently, which puts her another step ahead of the Lannisters.

Already more interesting than book! Margeary.
Yeah, Tyrion's relationship with his family is colored by, well, all that damn history. He only has a halfway healthy relationship with Jaime.

My favorite part of that dinner scene was Joffrey commenting on Cersei's casual relationship with facts. Truest thing the little shit has ever said. She's the most despicable liar in the show. I love it how she calls Tyrion a liar and the only basis for saying so is Tyrion telling their father something which was true. When Tyrion was four and Cersei was nine. I mean for fuck's sake.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Regarding the "slave soldiers" scene, am I right that she was fed quite a few lines of bullshit (and I wonder whether they understood)? The nipple-cutting seemed to indicate that the soldiers were disciplined, but the baby-killing seems just stupid.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

CaptHawkeye wrote:
Crown wrote:She was in a room. Full of children. Handing out toys. Yeah, stealth was her middle name and Assassin's Creed was her game. :roll: She told the sister to come 'directly' to her for aid, not to take a vow of silence or forbid her (or all the little orphans) of telling anyone that she was there and what she had offered.
Which is substantial improvement over...not stopping and gauranteeing an Orphan's well being as Joffrey probably would have done. Next you'll tell me it's not the job of leaders to ensure their popularity by...doing popular things.
What's this in reply to? It sure as shit isn't a reply to me addressing your 'Margeary wasn't doing it for the publicity' point.
CaptHawkeye wrote:So what?
So what, what? It wasn't a secret; ergo your original point was invalid.
CaptHawkeye wrote:The people of King's Landing are going to care about this how? What do Margeary's love affairs have anything to do with them?
I'm reminding YOU the VIEWER as to HER ESTABLISHED actions. I judged the whole scene with her and the orphans as a facade based on those actions. It is something one does when asked to expand on a point, to you know, provide evidence?
CaptHawkeye wrote:Fuck off. All I did was say Margeary has a good nature.
Basing it off one, ONE god damned scene, whereas people who pay attention know that she is a contender for the Iron Throne. And will also note that her last husband's body had yet to be even buried before she made arrangements to marry Joffery...
CaptHawkeye wrote:You blew it up into "OMG YOU SO STUPUD". If only I could get a blowjob for every time some dork on this website thought they were being so helpful to me by pointing out the HARD FACTS and TOUGH DECISIONS.
But you are so stupid, your inability to keep a coherent argument or sting of thought is evidence to that fact.
CaptHawkeye wrote:You and I clearly aren't watching the same show.
On that we agree, you watching the Nickelodeon version then or something?