Nolan and Bale may work on Justice League film.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Nolan and Bale may work on Justice League film.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/j ... 05180.html
Back in July of last year, "Dark Knight Rises" director Christopher Nolan said he had no intention of helping Warner Bros. with its planned Justice League movie. "We're finished with all we're doing with Batman," Nolan, an executive producer on the upcoming Superman movie "Man of Steel," told the Associated Press. "This is the end of our take on this character."

Or maybe it's not.

According to Umberto “El Mayimbe” Gonzalez from Latino Review, Nolan has taken over the comic book landscape at Warner Bros., and his first order of business could include producing the Justice League movie with Batman star Christian Bale attached as a possible lead. ("Subject to a script and deals being worked out, of course," stressed Gonzalez.) This deal would pair Bale's Batman with Henry Cavill's Superman character from "Man of Steel," with the possibility of other DC Comics icons like The Flash and Wonder Woman eventually joining the universe as well. ("Justice League" would be DC Comics' answer to "Marvel's The Avengers.")

That Nolan would return to produce "Justice League" is somewhat surprising, if only because he was so definitive about not handling the project last year. (As J.J. Abrams' eventual leap to "Star Wars" from "Star Trek" taught everyone, however, that which was true one week isn't necessarily true the next.) Bale's involvement is less shocking. The star said he would be happy to return to Gotham City, just as long as Nolan was involved and the script was good. "My understanding is that this is the last one. I think it's appropriate, I think it's going out at the right time," Bale said last year. "But, if Chris came to me with a script and said, 'You know what? There is another story' then I would love the challenge of making a fourth one work."

Making a "fourth one work" could take quite an effort, if only because of the way Nolan ended his Batman trilogy. At the conclusion of "The Dark Knight Rises," Bruce Wayne had retired, leaving the Batman cowl to a young Gotham City cop named Robin (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who himself was rumored to be involved in "Justice League" at one point.)

"Justice League" is currently slotted for a summer 2015 release, putting it in competition with "Marvel's The Avengers 2" and Abrams' "Star Wars: Episode VII." Per Gonzalez, who also broke the news about Harrison Ford's possible return to the "Star Wars" franchise, Nolan wouldn't direct "Justice League." (Zack Snyder, who directed "Man of Steel," could.) For his part, Nolan recently signed up to direct the long gestating sci-fi thriller "Insterstellar" for both Warner Bros. and Paramount.

For more on this rumor, head over to Latino Review.
Holy shit.

It looks like Bruce Wayne might not stay in retirement.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nolan and Bale may work on Justice League film.

Post by ray245 »

This is dumb. Nolan would be destroying the central theme to TDKR if he decides to continue the story with Bale's Batman.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm not happy about that either, but Nolan deserves the benefit of the doubt. And after the faltering, bumbling efforts to make a Justice League film, I'll take what I can get.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Even if Nolan does work on it, I seriously doubt it will be in-continuity with the Dark Knight trilogy. Having outright super-beings in the same universe as those more reserved movies would just be stupid.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Darksider wrote:Even if Nolan does work on it, I seriously doubt it will be in-continuity with the Dark Knight trilogy. Having outright super-beings in the same universe as those more reserved movies would just be stupid.
Would the Hollywood directors understand this as well? There has already been quite a few calls from various media outlets to depict Chris Nolan's version of Batman as part of the Justice league team.

Together with some leaked news about studio Execs. wanting Joseph Gordon-Levitt as part of the Justice League, I fear for the worse.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Why not?

I mean assume the current day parts of MoS take place way after the events of TDKR and its fine. Nolan's batman's tone works fine for his movies before the alien stuff started happening. And his character gets to expand as he has to deal with weirder and weirder stuff.

More or less what the DCAU did.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Maybe, but its strange for them to have removed so much of the fantastic parts only to turn around and have the Justice League.

But some of the technology in Nolan's films was pretty out there (such as Ras Al Gul's microwave weapon and the fusion reactor turned into a bomb).

I hope that if Bruce Wayne is Batman again there's a good explanation for it.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I don't think that the Batman we got delivered was explicitly non-supernatural in any sense, but I do agree that it seems odd for them to go from such a very human-only basis (not even using any kind of theoretical augmentation for Bane to get super strong) but there are a few elements that are plenty techno-wizardy, and we don't really know what they're doing with Superman exactly yet (not having seen it) and there's still... well, there's still a chance to mess with it.

Like, the first Ironman movie was fairly devoid of supernatural magical whoozits, but it was still tied to a world that was considered to be fantastical from outside sources. If they make the DC films into the 'darker and edgier' world, the Supernatural elements can continue to be subdued, and it can focus on technology and a few aliens.

I think the Green Lantern movie was hands-down bad enough that they can ignore it as any form of in-universe canon the same way that the Avengers did their best to ignore previous Hulk efforts. Wonder Woman has classically been a task too great for movies and TV to handle in a serious way. There's probably the issue of The Flash too.

Either they could make a DC 'pocket universe' where everything is much less fantastical or they can just say "fuck it we want money," but I think they can do it, if they try hard enough. Batman is their flagship at the moment, but if Superman can strike the right tone and have a foot in Nolanverse it could strike the right kind of tone to make a believable world where crime is rampant basically everywhere, life sucks, and there's a few stand-out individuals who can use technology to do incredible things.

Like, I don't know, maybe if they say that Kryptonians were from a civilization that lived on Earth, and after a major dispute decided to leave for the Stars (Krypton), leaving the majority behind (Atlantis) until their civilization eventually headed towards a problem and a splinter group breaks off to live in relative peace on an island (Themiscera), I suppose you can explain three Supernatural Justice-Leaguers with a big Superman rubber-stamp. Clark would just be the genetic and techno-magic product of the scientific supremacy of the Kryptonians (maybe they used some magic Phantom Zone tech to allow their civilization to advance faster than the outside universe, giving them a major advantage, explaining a lack of outside colonization or contact with other people, and again explaining the phantom zone), and both Wonder Woman and Aquaman can be explained to very similarly as aliens that are/look like people. Ancient Aliens and so forth. This limits the amount of magic you need to include.

I mean, I don't know, I'm just saying that from a certain point of view, they could do this. There is no way they can make any kind of Justice League movie and include Nolanverse stuff as "in universe" unless the whole thing is kinda grim. It also makes marketing sense because they can be visually distinctive and attract a viewership that is familiar with Batman's world.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They don't have to make it all dark because of Batman. Gotham is an exceptionally dark place. They have to down play the unrealistic parts on Earth, but alien things can be more out there because they're alien. But they need to show up after The Dark Knight Rises.

Due to the above, its going to be hard to have Wonder Woman in this film. But Superman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern shouldn't be a problem.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Coming in late to this and I will not be happy.

I would have no objections to Blake being Batman.

But Bale's return would undermine he whole message of TKDR, that Bruce made the choice to move on while leaving the mantle as a symbol.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

This . . . is interesting, but only raises concerns. Besides what the others have mentioned, I honestly dread what Nolan would do with Wonder Woman. Most people don't get her character as is (A warrior woman guided by truth and love for all things? Ridiculous!) and his track record with female leads is, from what I've seen and heard, not exactly the best. His Catwoman turned out okay, but still had some problems.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

What was wrong with Catwoman?

I don't know if he's ever had a female lead (Catwoman and others are supporting characters), but I don't think his female characters are particularly terrible. What is it that you object to?

But Wonder Woman will be hard to do well regardless.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Honestly? I find it hard to articulate. I've seen others go on about it, but I can't remember their points. Something about it just rubbed me wrong. I think her agency in the film wasn't as strong as it could have been, but I only saw the film once and can't do a proper analysis.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

All things being equal, were it to be a continuity with the Nolan films and in sequel to them, I'd have Bale, given Wayne's general attitude AND physical condition at the end of TDKR play at most an advisor in a Justice League film while whoever he left the mantle to still has the mantle and is still Batman in the Justice League film.

Unless people have that much of a problem with them going that far into their own direction with such a film anyway.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Have Wayne fund and equip the Justice League. That lets Bale be involved without Bale being Batman, while also satisfying Bruce Wayne's desire to combat evil and. As a hefty side-benefit, it also cements his 'I am not Batman because look, Batman is over there' cover story against anyone nosing around after the history of Batman.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

White Haven wrote:Have Wayne fund and equip the Justice League. That lets Bale be involved without Bale being Batman, while also satisfying Bruce Wayne's desire to combat evil and. As a hefty side-benefit, it also cements his 'I am not Batman because look, Batman is over there' cover story against anyone nosing around after the history of Batman.
Isn't Bruce legally dead?
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

ray245 wrote:
White Haven wrote:Have Wayne fund and equip the Justice League. That lets Bale be involved without Bale being Batman, while also satisfying Bruce Wayne's desire to combat evil and. As a hefty side-benefit, it also cements his 'I am not Batman because look, Batman is over there' cover story against anyone nosing around after the history of Batman.
Isn't Bruce legally dead?
Yes but I don't think that would be a problem to get around, Gotham was a hell hole after the last film, you could loose someone for years while their tidying up
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Bedlam wrote: Yes but I don't think that would be a problem to get around, Gotham was a hell hole after the last film, you could loose someone for years while their tidying up
The main issue is Bruce wants to stay dead.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

He could probably get the money funneled through Fox (who is still at Wayne Enterprises) and then act as a mentor/trainer to young Robin/Batman II, should there be a Big Emergency the likes of which would require the formation of the Justice League.

Just because he's moved on from being Gotham's Protector (I think Robin can manage that one on his own), I don't think he'd be the time to sit by and do nothing of the whole world were at stake. So his direct involvements would (should, I'd say) be rare, but when the shit hits the fan big time, he'll be there.

I think that still respects the ending of TDKR while allowing Bale to be involved. Of course for all we know it'll be a cameo or some shit where he stops in a coffee shop and shares a drink with Clark Kent. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's only a possible lead so it may still be just a cameo but I don't think so. That being said, Batman being back doesn't necessarily require Bruce Wayne to be. While I agree my physical condition in TDKR would contraindicate me remaining a field agent, I seemed spry enough in my final fight with Bane, and it's not like the DCU doesn't have ways to fix this (we can fix death on occasion, after all) and with them doing a Justice League movie to begin with they're definitely easing up on the pseudorealism.
Besides, it's not like they can't just put me in the position J'onn was in for a lot of JL/JLU-the guy back at whatever they pick for an HQ who coordinates things. Just because I'm no longer deployed into action doesn't mean I could no longer be Batman (though one does wonder why I'd bother to wear the costume up in the Watchtower).
And as RI said, I could be just a mentor to the new guy (whose name I can't for the life of me remember-I guess I should be happy they didn't pick Jean Paul Valley, though I don't see why they couldn't just have used Dick) and financial backing for the League, neither of which requires Bruce Wayne to rise from the dead.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fucking please. You think if something so bad as to demand a Justice League in the Nolanverse were to pop up, Bruce Wayne would just be like, "Nah, Robin, you handle it, I'm retired homie."

It does nothing to belittle the themes that Nolan played with anymore than the third movie did, which wasn't that good.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Wow. I thought everybody but me loved TDKR.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Batman wrote:Wow. I thought everybody but me loved TDKR.
Now. Lots of people thought it was shit. The plot was so full of holes you could have made a golf course out of it.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So were the first two, and yet everybody seemed to love them (myself included). Also, while Golf courts tend to be somewhat sprawling, the holes themselves are actually rather tiny. :P
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah but there are 18 of them.

It was meh. Exactly as I predicted actually.

I should clarify, I liked it, it was just meh and I recognize that. It also hasn't held its rewatch value for me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"