Iron Man vs Thor...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Iron Man vs Thor...

Post by Praxis »

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fuck yeah.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Crap, hit submit too soon.

Anyway...this makes me very, very happy :) I might have to buy this.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

My god, after Planet Hulk and Civil War, I didn't think it was possible for me to want even more to see Iron Prick get his ass kicked, but this page did it for me.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Yeah, threatening Thor is about the stupidest thing you can possibly do.

I wonder who told Thor about Clor? Personally, I think Spider-Man should do it after all Tony's done to him, but Peter doesn't seem like the vengeful tattler-type that would tell Thor about Clor just to get Thor to kill/beat up Tony.

It's sad that Thor isn't the killing type.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

They didn't fight? Bummer. I'd love to see scans of IM getting his ass crushed.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Who said they didn't fight? Now I'm not saying they DID but Praxis post didn't say anything one way or the other.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks like I should head down to the local comic book shop to see how it ends. I hope Thor wins, otherwise I'll have to label him as a has been whose comics I will never read again. (God knows Americans put out enough of that shit nowadays.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

kick ass, now make sure Tony Dies from alcohol or nanite poisoning, so that while on Asguardian land, so that your neice gets to collect his soul, ok Thor?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I count five votes in favour.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Yosemite Bear

Which them fighting, or Tony getting handed over to Thor's neice Hel?

alternatively we could ask Fenrir to play "Fetch" with Tony....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

At this point, I'm reminded of my favorite song from Anime....

Total slaughter.....total slaughter.....I won't leave....a single man alive....

Kick his ass Thor...you can do it....come on, say it...you know you want to "Does Thor have to smack a bitch?"
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Enigma wrote:They didn't fight? Bummer. I'd love to see scans of IM getting his ass crushed.
The actual issue isn't out yet, but there are preview scans of the fight sans word bubbles.

I have no idea how the fight will turn out till the actual issue comes out.

http://pics.livejournal.com/redorion/pic/000d3wa8

http://pics.livejournal.com/redorion/pic/000d4qk5

http://pics.livejournal.com/redorion/pic/000dp6xb

I especially like the last pick of Thor smashing Iron Man with an electrified semi and then throttling him.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I was under the impression that Richards and Stark were in Hulk's custody. How did he get out of the prison and back in a suit? Also, where was Mjolnir during all of this? I thought it was in the possession of Clor during Civil War.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
The Yosemite Bear

It's enchanted to always return to THORS hand when ever he calls for it. Alpha wolf, vs. false alpha wolf, guess which one our beta wolf hammer will follow.

Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

I wonder what part of GOD OF THUNDER Stark doesn't understand, since he seemsto speak to the man as if he were talking to some yokel...
And that's yet another smackdown Tony really deserves.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Crom wrote:I was under the impression that Richards and Stark were in Hulk's custody. How did he get out of the prison and back in a suit? Also, where was Mjolnir during all of this? I thought it was in the possession of Clor during Civil War.
The hammer Clor had was a fake full of electronicy-bits to mimic the original.

I think the Thor series is post-WWH.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Atlan wrote:I wonder what part of GOD OF THUNDER Stark doesn't understand, since he seemsto speak to the man as if he were talking to some yokel...
Tony has always had a bit of trouble with the whole "god" thing when it comes to Thor, Hercules or any other gods the Avengers come across. He tends to look at things in scientific ways so if he can't readilly understand it he chalks it up to something scientific he just doesn't understand. Magic kind of bugs him in the same way.

You would have thought that after years of hanging around Thor that Tony wouldn't be getting into it with him so regularly. It's interesting that Tony was the one who was so against Thor interfering in things back when it was Thor who was telling everyone what to do.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Atlan wrote:I wonder what part of GOD OF THUNDER Stark doesn't understand, since he seemsto speak to the man as if he were talking to some yokel...
Calling Thor the God of Thunder is just giving him a label. It doesn't confer any special abilities or powers unto itself; after all, it was given to him by his followers. It's more of a description than anything else. If Iron Man had been around in the 10th century, and made an occasional appearance to the Vikings, he'd probably be a god of something or other, too.

Of course, Iron Man knows what Thor is capable of, after having fought with him (and against him, once or twice) over the years. I'm itching to see the fight, to see if Tony actually thinks he stands a chance in a dust-up between the two. I mean, Tony's upgraded his hardware over the years, and he'd be in a position to know if he's playing in the same league. My gut tells me that, absent a lucky shot or a trump card up his sleeve, standard-issue Iron Man just isn't ready to tangle with Thor.

Having said that, I recall a few years ago when a new writer was taking over the helm of "The Mighty Thor", it was going to be part of the canon that Asgardians -- including Thor -- wouldn't be invulnerable to garden variety firearms. In other words, any schmuck with a .45 could, were he brave and lucky enough to make good the attempt, take out the nigh-immortal Thunder God. This might have been reversed by a subsequent creative staff (and let's hope that it was).
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

I got a strange question here, but can Iron Man actually draft Thor legally, by this I mean, Thor is a God, and in the Marvelverse we have seen that he does have worshippers in the US. (Not sure if that is still the case, to be honest, but in the past he did.)

Assuming he does, does that not make him the head of a religion, and if they drafted him that would seem to fly very close to crossing a line in regards to the whole seperation of the state from religion....

At the very least a clever Lawyer with an axe to grind against Tony might well be able to make said claim... *Stares at a Certain Green Lawyer....*
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Skelron wrote:I got a strange question here, but can Iron Man actually draft Thor legally, by this I mean, Thor is a God, and in the Marvelverse we have seen that he does have worshippers in the US. (Not sure if that is still the case, to be honest, but in the past he did.)
Iron Man informed Ares that if he didn't play ball he would be deported to Olympus. Presumably he'd say something similiar to Thor.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Lonestar wrote:Iron Man informed Ares that if he didn't play ball he would be deported to Olympus. Presumably he'd say something similiar to Thor.
Except Asgard is now floating above the US, where will Iron Man deport him? Besides I don't think Ares has much of a following, while Thor has been around, we've seen his Church in the past, hell you can find people who believe in Thor in the real world. (The Original Thor I mean here, not the Marvel version) His faith seems to be far more established, and I just think forcably drafting the deity of a religion, would be trying to claim authority over said faith.

Although in the end, Iron Mans real problem, is he's acting on the belief that Thor is alone now and will stay alone. Personally I want the fight to end with a beaten Tony then later on Tony conmes back for round two with some back up to find the place filled with gods.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I remember the big showdown a few years back when Captain American and Thor-Buster Iron Man went head on against Thor, it resulted in Thor, among other things, almost casually ripping Iron Man's arm off (just the armor, sadly) to the tune of "you're just meat under that metal Stark". Hopefully Thor gets a little more serious now that he's personally insulted/betrayed.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

SCRawl wrote:Having said that, I recall a few years ago when a new writer was taking over the helm of "The Mighty Thor", it was going to be part of the canon that Asgardians -- including Thor -- wouldn't be invulnerable to garden variety firearms. In other words, any schmuck with a .45 could, were he brave and lucky enough to make good the attempt, take out the nigh-immortal Thunder God. This might have been reversed by a subsequent creative staff (and let's hope that it was).
In one of the Black Panther books Thor was briefly knocked out after taking a high powered rifle shot to the forehead. Right through his helmet. It broke the skin and knocked him out but he woke up really pissed a bit later.

In really early Thor (Journey Into Mystery) he was always spinning his hammer really fast to block stuff like bullets so I always assumed that he wasn't bulletproof. In fact I think most of the appearances of the various "gods" in the Marvel Universe seem to avoid showing whether the Greek and Norse gods are bulletproof or not. Certainly they are very durable and have some serious stamina and recuperative abilities, but you don't see Thor and Hercules constantly bouncing bullets off of their bare skins like the Thing and the Hulk are always shown doing.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

If I recall my Marvel Universe guides correctly, Asgardian tissue is several times denser than ordinary human tissue. This means that while Thor isn't exactly bullet proof, bullet penetration would be comparable to shooting a tree.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"