For Green Lantern fans like myself....

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

For Green Lantern fans like myself....

Post by Steve »

Out of all of the fictional universes to choose from, comic and non-comic..... which characters do you consider worthy of joining the likes of Kyle Rayner and Hal Jordan as Green Lanterns? Who do you think would be granted a ring by the Guardians?

Yes, I'm feeling kinda silly at the moment, and it's a fanboyish, geeky conversation, but I just couldn't help myself. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm thinking the Doctor would be pretty badass with a Lantern ring. 8)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

General Zod wrote:I'm thinking the Doctor would be pretty badass with a Lantern ring. 8)
Oh frabjous day. The Doctor with a power ring on top of his TimeLord abilities and the TARDIS?
I LOVE the idea.
On-topic, Steve Rogers and Peter Parker seem like likely candidates.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Stark wrote:Optimus Prime, obviously.
No... the Ring goes to "The Being Without Fear".

Optimus has many fears as well as doubts about his own leadership skills.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

LadyTevar wrote:

Hmm.... more specifically, it goes to the being "with the ability to overcome great fear." (At least that's the line used in the Green Lantern Corps comics when a ring comes to a new bearer.) It's not being fearless so much as having the willpower to overcome your fears. That's also touched upon in the new explaination for the weakness to yellow; a Lantern who "knows" fear, but overcomes it, is no longer effected by the Yellow Impurity.

(Opposed to this, the new Sinestro Corps' yellow rings go to beings who can cause great fear.... hence why the ring tracked down Batman and nearly bonded with him before detecting Green Lantern energies and running like hell. Optimus might or might not get a ring, but I am damned sure that Sinestro and his new allies would give a yellow power ring to Megatron...)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Iron Man :twisted:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanks, hav. I'm getting Amalgam flashbacks of Hal Stark, the Iron Lantern..... 8)

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

would the shadow be able to wield both a sinistaro ring and a gl ring at the same time?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sorry, what? I've read GL comics and seen the JLU cartoon: the Lanterns piss and moan and second-guess and stress as much as anyone else. They're not 'without fear'. Prime isn't afraid for himself, and doesn't doubt himself: he considers the danger to others, and that can give him pause as he knows his decisions aren't magically correct. Describing Prime as some kind of emo robot immobilised by terror is truly bizarre. I mean, he only constantly sacrifices his own life through cycles of epic mythology to save others... what a fucking coward lol.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

LadyTevar wrote:

He has fears, but he only doubted himself early on when he was initially chosen to be Prime. Now, however, you do describe Ultra Magnus perfectly.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:would the shadow be able to wield both a sinistaro ring and a gl ring at the same time?
Interesting concept.

Has "duel wielding" been done in the comics anywhere? I think Batman could pull it off.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Race Bannon.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Screw Race Bannon. What about Brock Samson?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Superman for the GL Ring and Bizzaro for the yellow ring. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

neoolong wrote:Screw Race Bannon. What about Brock Samson?
Since he inspires fear, the Sinestro Corps ring would be for him :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

how about Revan? say post KotOR?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Daredevil "The man without Fear" :P , Optimus Prime (IT really is overcome great fear, and doubt about casualties to the innocent isn't really fear in the GL context, it's sense), Captain America (The poofta), Tarzan (Imagine the Giant apes) Conan the Barbarian, Duncan Idaho, Karsa Orlong (His reaction to finding out that he had just freed 7 ancient monsters who were his gods was to attack them and to kill one), Anasurimbor Kellhus (Emotions are things that happen to other people).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Found this a few weeks ago.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

1. Optimus Prime
2. Mazikeen from Lucifer
3. Snow White from Fables
4. Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Crom wrote: 2. Mazikeen from Lucifer
Interesting idea, although Lucifer is probably the nastiest imaginable wielder for a Green lantern in all of fiction. (Although then again, he doesn't need it, and probably invented it)
3. Snow White from Fables
I'd actually prefer Bigby Wolf (Who'd probably be even better with a Yellow ring considering his past exploits) or The Old Witch.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Image from Lil'formers by Matt Moylan
:twisted:

But seriously....

1. Optimus Prime
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. Thomas Oliver (Power Rangers duh)
4. Shockwave

I'll shoot the first person who says Rodimus Prime should have a Green Lantern Ring....
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Steve wrote: (Opposed to this, the new Sinestro Corps' yellow rings go to beings who can cause great fear.... hence why the ring tracked down Batman and nearly bonded with him before detecting Green Lantern energies and running like hell.
I don't remember anything about GL energies. It detected an assload of willpower and ran from what I remember.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Hm...my list may be a bit odd, but my mind immediately jumps to:

1. Steve Irwin, or some fictionalised version of him. Spent his life around dangerous animals, risking his life to try to bring a love of nature and drive home the need to conserve it.

2. Luke Skywalker. Yes, he comes off as a bit weak in the first film, but a basic part of Jedi training is to overcome fear. And hey, his lightsaber's green already...

3. Mrs. Brisby/Frisby from "The Secret of NIMH"/"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH". An ordinary mouse who, knowing that it killed her husband, volunteers to drug a cat. You don't get "overcoming great fear" much clearer than that.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Kon_El wrote:
Steve wrote: (Opposed to this, the new Sinestro Corps' yellow rings go to beings who can cause great fear.... hence why the ring tracked down Batman and nearly bonded with him before detecting Green Lantern energies and running like hell.
I don't remember anything about GL energies. It detected an assload of willpower and ran from what I remember.
*Finds copy of Green Lantern #17*

It did both. "Conflicting emotional resonance registered. Willpower overriding Fear.", followed by, "Previous exposure to Green Lantern Power Ring Detected." "Target Sentient rejected."

Back just before the OYL jump, there was a plot with a new Tattooed Man that involved Hal letting Bruce put on the ring and creating a construct of his parents, so that would also explain the detection of Green Lantern energy.