The OotS Thread III

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: The OotS Thread III

Post by Mr Bean »

Bedlam wrote:
Irbis wrote:Spoiler
I wonder, will it be whole hour owed or will they pick only what they need, leading to Roy possibly kicking out V (providing everyone survives what is about to start) out of OotS? 8)
I think their smart enough to only use what they need.
They specifically divided up the time (to the minute) between the fiends. Worse per their bargain they could slice time as much as they like down to individual rounds. How much would your average D&D fight go if they enemy can seize control at will for hundreds of rounds if need be?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Ahriman238 wrote:Er, I think you mean Miko.
Er, right. I'm going to pretend I typed Miko and a wizard changed it. That's the ticket.

And the latest turn of events should prove interesting...
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh, this will be epic.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is not immediately obvious to me that the fiends have the ability to just turn V into a puppet with their leverage over his soul. Maybe they're only planning to incapacitate V. Not sure.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Simon_Jester wrote:It is not immediately obvious to me that the fiends have the ability to just turn V into a puppet with their leverage over his soul. Maybe they're only planning to incapacitate V. Not sure.
Given the lengths they went to in order to get their leverage on V's soul, it seems unlikely that's all they'd get out of it.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:It is not immediately obvious to me that the fiends have the ability to just turn V into a puppet with their leverage over his soul. Maybe they're only planning to incapacitate V. Not sure.
Given the lengths they went to in order to get their leverage on V's soul, it seems unlikely that's all they'd get out of it.
Unless that's all they need.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Grumman wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Unless that's all they need.
That doesn't seem likely; there's a limited amount you can accomplish with just disabling one moderately important person. And how would they know beforehand that they could accomplish anything important by merely disabling V? It's fairly random that V is where he/she is right here, right now.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:That doesn't seem likely; there's a limited amount you can accomplish with just disabling one moderately important person. And how would they know beforehand that they could accomplish anything important by merely disabling V? It's fairly random that V is where he/she is right here, right now.
Divination magic can be very useful here, you can know in advance who will be most important to control.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

My thoughts were that they just really want Roy to destroy the gate, for their own purposes, and don't want V to stop him.

Do they want to destroy everthing or are they planning on grabbing the last gate for themselves?
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

My guess would be it's part of some bid to corrupt the world V's familiar saw.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My guess;

Take over V, have the Order leave thinking they destroyed the gate. Let the Order and Team Evil take out Team Tarquin, with Nale, the drow and Sabine escaping. The Fiends move in on the unprotected gate.

AT least, that's what the Fiends are plan....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

My wild guess is that the Gate will prove to be hard to destroy, and while Roy and company try to do so, the Fiends plan on using a possessed V to perform their own version of the Gate ritual* to take control of the gate from below and unleash the Snarl on the gods. All the gods - then they can take over the Outer Planes in their entirety.

*Possibly using a clerical Soul Splice to provide the divine magic half of the ritual
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:My wild guess is that the Gate will prove to be hard to destroy, and while Roy and company try to do so, the Fiends plan on using a possessed V to perform their own version of the Gate ritual* to take control of the gate from below and unleash the Snarl on the gods. All the gods - then they can take over the Outer Planes in their entirety.

*Possibly using a clerical Soul Splice to provide the divine magic half of the ritual
It can't be that hard to destroy. Miko cracked Soon's gate with a single sword swing.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Terralthra wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:My wild guess is that the Gate will prove to be hard to destroy, and while Roy and company try to do so, the Fiends plan on using a possessed V to perform their own version of the Gate ritual* to take control of the gate from below and unleash the Snarl on the gods. All the gods - then they can take over the Outer Planes in their entirety.

It can't be that hard to destroy. Miko cracked Soon's gate with a single sword swing.
This gate doesn't look much at all like Soon's gate though. So there's no reason to assume that it would be as vulnerable to a blow, any more than there is to assume that it's flammable like Lirian's gate.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

897 up!
Spoiler
Well so much for my idea; they do want it destroyed. I wonder how - or if - they intend to keep V from confessing/talking after their time runs out. They're giving away rather a lot of info, like their interest in the gates and Sabine being aligned with them. And do they want the lone surviving gate for themselves, want them all destroyed, or something else?

And poor Blackwing, talk about getting screwed through no fault of your own. I wonder if this will result in Blackwing asking to be dismissed as V's familiar?
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Depends if V will actually talk.

Roy likes to think he knows people. Elan's an idiot, Belkar's a one dimensional evil killing machine. Imagine what he'd think if he learnt what V's done.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Spoiler
This strip feels like yet another 'take that!' to critics and predictors, to be honest.

So, no minute/round metering? The only option they have is 20 min of limp body? Seriously? :|

Also, I like how second post already has no spoilers :wink:
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Irbis wrote:Spoiler
This strip feels like yet another 'take that!' to critics and predictors, to be honest.

So, no minute/round metering? The only option they have is 20 min of limp body? Seriously? :|

Also, I like how second post already has no spoilers :wink:
Spoiler
Depends if they can split their 20 minutes.

They also say putting another soul into it would be a violation of contract. I'm sure they can think of other ways to control it when the time comes.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Sharp-kun wrote: Spoiler
Depends if they can split their 20 minutes.

They also say putting another soul into it would be a violation of contract. I'm sure they can think of other ways to control it when the time comes.
Spoiler
Just like they let V assume they couldn't have his soul until after death, they will now let him assume they can't control his body (by means other than possession). These guys are masters of not saying exactly the right thing.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

898 is up
Spoiler
Run, run, run away from the collapsing gate!
JADAFETWA
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Huh, talk about your snap decisions about who you really trust.

Wonder how the LG is doing.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Hey, smart move there Roy!
"Let's destroy a structure - a much smaller one of which destroyed half a city when cracked - by whacking it with a sharpened stick while standing next to it!"
Your father would be proud, you clearly put your Intelligence to good use!
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Serafina wrote:Hey, smart move there Roy!
"Let's destroy a structure - a much smaller one of which destroyed half a city when cracked - by whacking it with a sharpened stick while standing next to it!"
Your father would be proud, you clearly put your Intelligence to good use!
Without V being available and the resources he has at hand what other option does he have beyond letting Elan mess around until he finds the Dragontooth self destruct switch?
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

899 is up

Well short and sweet. Not sure how everyone is going to survive that?
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ha ha. That title I'd actually forgotten the prophecy that was why they were there. But of course xykon had to arrive before it got blown up. Otherwise paradox.