Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spekio
Jedi Knight

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

Post by Spekio »

Mr Bean wrote: Spoiler
Azor Ahai, the hero who must rise to stop the coming of the long night as the Hero did long ago. Azor Ahai is the Song of Ice and Fire. The only question is which of the four is Azor Ahai, Melisandre is convinced it's Stannis Baratheon. Rhaegar believe it first himself then one of his offspring. The readers are convinced it's either John Snow or Daenerys.
I thought you meant the hero was at the wedding. Spoiler
But Azor Ahai it's probably not Jon: he became a pincushion by the time of ADWD.

Let me ask you: why do you think Azor Ahai is real? When we get a POV chapter for Melisandre, we see that she has been using misdirection to see how much she knows about what is going on. Yes, the LOL followers can do magic, but so can the Children of The Forest, Faceless Men, the Undying, Valyria's descendents....

Add that to the fact it is implied the Maesters have something to do with the end of magic, at least on Westeros, so I'm not sure there is an Azor Ahai.
Last edited by Thanas on 2013-06-04 09:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BECAUSE SOMEBODY IS AN IDIOT WHO DOES NOT READ THE SPOILER POLICY
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Spoilify that, motherfucker.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

There's "Characters, even good guys can die" and "The good side gets butchered halfway through the series".

Here's an analogy for Star Wars:
Öbi Wan Kenobi dying" - shocking, especially for its time. (Seen as the hero).
Lando Calrissian shooting Chewbacca, Leia, Han and the droids in the back then burning their corpses into char in the middle of ESB = Riot.
Exactly. You should really only kill a few people to add spice to the show before the eventual happy ending. You go too far though and people start to wonder if you'll come through on that. You "should"-by conventional logic- never go too far with it.

Then there's (my main problem with the Jezebel article)the:"We expect violence but on our terms, the way we're used to. Kill a horse (I've actually heard someone claim this- I suppose it comes off as needless?) or stab a pregnant lady and all bets are off". To which I (mean spiritedly) say:"If that's what it takes to unsettle you...have more of it."
Meest wrote: Doesn't seem that way, see tons of "who can I root for now?" posts. Why do you need to have a single character or "side" to root for, this isn't a sports team or wrestling, why can't people take in the whole picture?
Putting aside the more obvious tribalism is there a big difference in the mentality and the type of enjoyment we get out of it? People root for certain groups, they're meant to. Apathy is neither enjoyable or compelling.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

So why the hell did they go through the effort of deleting Jeyne and replacing her with a completely new character with a bit of time fleshing out a backstory at that just to have her killed? Honestly, what was gained by that departure from the books?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Patroklos wrote:So why the hell did they go through the effort of deleting Jeyne and replacing her with a completely new character with a bit of time fleshing out a backstory at that just to have her killed? Honestly, what was gained by that departure from the books?
No expectation of her reappearing later in the story. No need to show Robb conquering the Crag.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Eh, I would have just kept Jeyne but had her die in exactly the same fashion. The battlefield scene where he meets Talisa could just as easily be a scene of the Westerlings surrendering their castle to Robb. The problem I had with Talisa is that she is a commoner. At least with Jeyne Rob wasn't bucking the social norms and was supposently turning a house loyal to the Lannisters.

Sure, this makes Frey's fury more understandable, but it is completely out of character for Robb as nobody could be that stupid.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Patroklos wrote:So why the hell did they go through the effort of deleting Jeyne and replacing her with a completely new character with a bit of time fleshing out a backstory at that just to have her killed? Honestly, what was gained by that departure from the books?
I guess for two reasons: 1) kill the "Stark heir" fantheory; 2) add tension for people who have already read the books by deviating from the storyline; 3) shock and horrify people who had already read the books and (thought they) were prepared for the RW.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Patroklos wrote:Eh, I would have just kept Jeyne but had her die in exactly the same fashion. The battlefield scene where he meets Talisa could just as easily be a scene of the Westerlings surrendering their castle to Robb. The problem I had with Talisa is that she is a commoner. At least with Jeyne Rob wasn't bucking the social norms and was supposently turning a house loyal to the Lannisters.

Sure, this makes Frey's fury more understandable, but it is completely out of character for Robb as nobody could be that stupid.
My understanding was that Talisa was of noble birth. Foreign, but not a commoner.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Ralin wrote:
No expectation of her reappearing later in the story. No need to show Robb conquering the Crag.
Though I don't like her one might argue that Talisa is simply a more interesting character. She's not meek or bland like Jeyne, whose main purpose was to act as a plot device and then... blush prettily I guess? She was also pretty meek, and the showrunners have already changed another meek character (Shae) presumably to avoid backlash and to add more sympathetic/strong female characters.

Also, no minute political details that no one will give a shit about.
The problem I had with Talisa is that she is a commoner. At least with Jeyne Rob wasn't bucking the social norms and was supposently turning a house loyal to the Lannisters.
A house with what, 40 men? Robb didn't "turn" anyone, he killed them.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Not a powerful house to be sure, but still a house with vassals and soldiers and some sort of wealth all of which makes more sense than a camp follower. But most importantly House Westerling were bannermen to the Lannisters and their defection has some propaganda value. Who was the last house to dare betray Tywin?

I get that Robb is a headstrong young teenager head over heals for the random hottie he ran into, but in the context of the show he is also an arrogant blue blood raised to think he is the best thing since sliced bread who has duties to his house and bannermen and is too good for the proles. He is also a new King who is consciously trying to make himself as legitimate as possible, there is a reason Robert married Cersei even though he didn't like her. Its nice to romanticize these people as just or good hearted but lets not forget these are still brutal feudal overlords and from that perspective I can see him being rash and marrying the wrong noble women but not elevating a strange commoner to Queen to no advantage to himself.

Honestly the idea that his whole army didn't revolt at that is ridiculous, as was mentioned earlier his actions totally screwed them. For one they probably thought their houses had good standing to marry into the new royalty due to their zealous support, at the very least it would be a wedding to seal a grand peace or alliance. Nope, screw that, I want some tale! Who would follow such a selfish ass after that?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

People still fucking livid at Ned Stark getting his neck snipped? People who already have their own necks on the line for high treason?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Alferd Packer wrote:Maisie Williams has the best reaction ever.

The accent's great, but the Marty Feldman eyes fucking killed it for me.
It's almost like she's Spoiler
pulling faces
or something ...

Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Flagg wrote:People still fucking livid at Ned Stark getting his neck snipped? People who already have their own necks on the line for high treason?
And who are now garunteed to lose their war and get their own necks snipped in the process due to Robb's cock you mean. As we see plenty of Northmen are willing to play real politic in the aftermath of the Red Wedding. Hell Robb's antics are what lose him Bolton in the first place once he smells weakness via his marriage stupidity.
Spoiler
Lets be clear, nobody knew what Frey's reaction was going to be until the day of the wedding so the air of uncertainty was hanging there for however many months between his marraige to fakeJeyne and the Red Wedding. They had all of a few hours to believe they still had a chance at winning the war befoer they all died, before that they were hosed and everyone knew it. Roose Bolton obviously made decisions based on that.

As it is he has lost the Bolton's and Karstarks before the Red Wedding, the Frey's as well obviously though they are not Northmen. Thats probably the three most powerful houseses behind his cause right there. If Frey could have controlled himself and not killed so many northern noble men he probably would have begrudgingly had Manderly's real support after it. Houses Ryswell and Dustin are solid Bolton supporters. House Hornwood's seat has been usurped.

Sure there will always been the Umbars and Mormonts but you will note all the stalwart Stark allies tend to be the least powerful in the most backwoods locations.

In any case the Boltons and Karstarks show quite clearly that Robb did not have unquestionable control over his houses, and it all started falling apart for him when he put his sex life above that of his lords though to be fair Karstark has other greviences too.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Patroklos wrote:
Flagg wrote:People still fucking livid at Ned Stark getting his neck snipped? People who already have their own necks on the line for high treason?
And who are now garunteed to lose their war and get their own necks snipped in the process due to Robb's cock you mean. As we see plenty of Northmen are willing to play real politic in the aftermath of the Red Wedding. Hell Robb's antics are what lose him Bolton in the first place once he smells weakness via his marriage stupidity.
Spoiler
Lets be clear, nobody knew what Frey's reaction was going to be until the day of the wedding so the air of uncertainty was hanging there for however many months between his marraige to fakeJeyne and the Red Wedding. They had all of a few hours to believe they still had a chance at winning the war befoer they all died, before that they were hosed and everyone knew it. Roose Bolton obviously made decisions based on that.

As it is he has lost the Bolton's and Karstarks before the Red Wedding, the Frey's as well obviously though they are not Northmen. Thats probably the three most powerful houseses behind his cause right there. If Frey could have controlled himself and not killed so many northern noble men he probably would have begrudgingly had Manderly's real support after it. Houses Ryswell and Dustin are solid Bolton supporters. House Hornwood's seat has been usurped.

Sure there will always been the Umbars and Mormonts but you will note all the stalwart Stark allies tend to be the least powerful in the most backwoods locations.

In any case the Boltons and Karstarks show quite clearly that Robb did not have unquestionable control over his houses, and it all started falling apart for him when he put his sex life above that of his lords though to be fair Karstark has other greviences too.
That would have been more interesting if it was responding to what I actually said. Anyway the Karstarks didn't leave over Talisa, they left because their lord murdered some kids then Robb cut his head off.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I don't think you can divorce Karstark's (and Bolton's) willingness to be rebellious from the general lack of competence displayed by Robb, which is only partially due to his marriage fiasco but also from them watching him let his mother off near scott free in yet another instance greatly harming their war effort for selfish Stark reasons. Robb is a raging hypocrite who puts his own personal wants above those of his allies and their war effort on a whim, that does not inspire confidence or discipline. The results are pretty obvious at this point.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Patroklos wrote:I don't think you can divorce Karstark's (and Bolton's) willingness to be rebellious from the general lack of competence displayed by Robb, which is only partially due to his marriage fiasco but also from them watching him let his mother off near scott free in yet another instance greatly harming their war effort for selfish Stark reasons. Robb is a raging hypocrite who puts his own personal wants above those of his allies and their war effort on a whim, that does not inspire confidence or discipline. The results are pretty obvious at this point.
Robb is an undefeated general on the field who lacked the political nous to navigate through the waters of petty prides and injustices. The way you're describing him in what I've quoted (and I haven't read anything you've written other than that in regards to this topic) is a caricature of the man; not in any way shape or form fully representative of who he is or what is going on around him.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

By the way, I forgot to mention this but did anyone else love Roose Trollton's face when Cat explained that Ned had spared her the indignity of the bedding ceremony. It just screamed to me like he was thinking 'Well, weren't you married to the most perfect man of EVER?!?!?'

:lol:
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Crown wrote:
Patroklos wrote:I don't think you can divorce Karstark's (and Bolton's) willingness to be rebellious from the general lack of competence displayed by Robb, which is only partially due to his marriage fiasco but also from them watching him let his mother off near scott free in yet another instance greatly harming their war effort for selfish Stark reasons. Robb is a raging hypocrite who puts his own personal wants above those of his allies and their war effort on a whim, that does not inspire confidence or discipline. The results are pretty obvious at this point.
Robb is an undefeated general on the field who lacked the political nous to navigate through the waters of petty prides and injustices. The way you're describing him in what I've quoted (and I haven't read anything you've written other than that in regards to this topic) is a caricature of the man; not in any way shape or form fully representative of who he is or what is going on around him.
Everyone always jumps to the "he's undefeated" defense. It doesn't change anything. He was indeed a selfish bastard who rationalized away possible harm for bullshit reasons.(And yes, I know why he of all people would not want to sire a bastard but well, fuck him anyway). Well,he did in the books, in the show he was just an asshole. Honor? Bullshit. And the worse thing? Talisa is right there with him. He never learned anything from her and she also abandoned her morals. Wasn't the whole point of her character early on to point out to Robb the effects of war on ordinary men? How it fucked them? Then what do they do? They both go out and fuck them some more.

Petty prides and injustices? This is Robb's field, he should know better. And he did. He was just an entitled bastard who felt that he could get away with breaking a treaty after he'd already milked his ally (not vassal like in the books) to achieve his goal. Luckily, unlike in the books, Walder Frey's heir, the only one who could hold the family together didn't die so he's less of a douche but he still let them bleed for him and abandoned them. He knew exactly what he was doing and chose to do it. Inexcusable.

While I'm not fully certain that Robb's men would have totally abandoned him -war in Westeros rarely seems to be total or unrelenting, peace generally seems to lead to all houses settling back with non-fatal sanctions so it's not a good idea to cut and run- he definitely did not make it easy for anyone. Certainly he had a lot of help from the circumstances of the war and his early performance and-most importantly- the Stark pedigree that he inherited from his father and ancestors.
Not a powerful house to be sure, but still a house with vassals and soldiers and some sort of wealth all of which makes more sense than a camp follower. But most importantly House Westerling were bannermen to the Lannisters and their defection has some propaganda value. Who was the last house to dare betray Tywin?
Propaganda value? Robb marries into a poor, fallen house and it's gonna be a PR coup? I doubt it. Not to anyone with a brain.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh, and the reaction by GRRM: Link
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wait so did Edmure Tully die? Was he in on it?

Also when Walder shoots Robb that look when he glances over after seeing how hot Roslin is, is fucking classic, and even more poignant after the fact.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Havok wrote:Wait so did Edmure Tully die? Was he in on it?
No Tully is a hostage, until Roslin has her child the Frey's need to keep him alive. They need a child to claim ownership over Riverrun.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ah. I need a fucking flowchart. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Mr Bean wrote:
No Tully is a hostage, until Roslin has her child the Frey's need to keep him alive. They need a child to claim ownership over Riverrun.
They do? I was under the impression that that was an honest accident in the books. They were actually worried that it could turn out to be male as well. They could just take the castle, I don't see why the Tullys matter. If it was an ancient house it may have been one thing; they're not.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Scrib wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
They do? I was under the impression that that was an honest accident in the books. They were actually worried that it could turn out to be male as well. They could just take the castle, I don't see why the Tullys matter. If it was an ancient house it may have been one thing; they're not.
Umm, the Tullys aren't ancient the way the Starks or Lannisters are, dating back only to Aegeon, but they're sorta Lords Paramount of the Riverlands, Masters of one of the Seven Kingdoms. Age of the House doesn't enter into it that much. The Tullys are kind of a big deal in the same way the Starks, Lannisters, Tyrells, Martells and Arryns are.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud