Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (SPOILERS)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

How good is the pilot?

Great.
11%
Good.
56%
Okay.
30%
Bad.
3%
Terrible.
No votes

Total votes: 61

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (SPOILERS)

Post by Tsyroc »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I wasn't sure about the obvious use of Stark Tech with the car at the very end, seemed like a pointless gimmick than anything else. Though given Stark was somehow able to "fix" Pepper when she'd been injected with Extremis it's a safe bet he'll have something to do with this guy.

Pretty hard to miss the namedropping of most of the characters from the Avengers, though I have to wonder how (or if) the series is going to tie in with Thor the Dark World seeing as it's just a month away.
The car being the car it is and flying how it does really harkens back to the comics where SHEILD had flying cars which looked like 50s/60s sports cars and were able to fly in the way Lola did (with the wheels turning down and providing lift via fans/jets whatever). Later models had hologram projectors that could make them look like other vehicles, even something as large as a UPS truck. It doesn't really need to tie back into Howard Stark's flying car prototype in Captain America but it probably is meant to and I liked it either way.

I kind of liked the "Journey Into Mystery" bit and the riff on Spider-man's "great power..." motto. :)

In the Agent Carter short on the Iron Man 3 Blu-Ray they have Howard Stark running S.H.E.I.L.D.. I wonder how that is going to work into the show and/or the movies. I'm also curious if any other known agents will be making appearances. Stillwell seems like one of the more likely characters.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Kojiro wrote:The jet- it almost felt like a shiny black Serenity. Hopefully the crew can come together the same way.
This was my biggest takeaway. The whole show to me feels like Firefly 2.0.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Batman wrote:I'm not entirely sure how Coulson was acting out of character. That man didn't have character for most of the predating Marvel movies, he was just a SHIELD flunky who happened to have a name. It wasn't until Avengers that he really turned into a character to begin with, and I'd say the Coulson we saw in this pilot jives reasonably well with what little we saw of him in Avengers.
Not sure I agree. In Iron Man 2, especially, his scenes definitely demonstrated who he was - among other things, a fan of Captain America, and someone who will stare down a superhero (later supervillain) and simply show no sign at all of being intimidated. There are hints of this in Iron Man, and Thor, as well.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

His only real consistent character traits to date has been a flair for the dramatic combined with nonchalance in the face of sheer lunacy and remarkable competence for a man in nothing but a nice suit. He retained all of those, but had an added goofy twist and genuine heroism. I though it fitted pretty well.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Am I the only one who doesn't want Coulson to be a robot or superhero down the line? I actually prefer him as the Everyman in this world where Gods exist. Sure he's competent but at the same time not a borderline metahuman like Hawkeye and Black Widow are.

Granted I may not get this wish, with him dodging that debris the way he did. But it'd be nice.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm not sure it's about people wanting Coulson to be robot or a superhero so much as those being among the easier explanations of how he survived using known in-universe capabilities and why he must never know what exactly happened. If the Coulson that got killed in Avengers was the copy, there should be no problem with the real Coulson knowing about that. If the real Coulson didn't get killed in Avengers, his heart merely stopped for a while, which is apparently what AoS Coulson seems to think happened, then what is it Coulson should never find out about?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Why can't it be both? Coulson is very popular and it's extremely easy to see him as Vision. It answers the questions of how he survived and why he can't be told everything (because being told you're part machine is, if sci fi has taught us anything- bound to unhinge someon). I'm certain it was the real Coulson that got stabbed- LMDs don't have blood or for that matter 'die' with brave last words.

On that note, I hope there's a line in there somewhere about how mad he is at Fury for smearing blood on his Captain America cards. :P

In related news if anyone saw the Age of Ultron teaser, I can't be the only one who noticed that Ultron is made from an Iron Man suit? What are the chances Ultron is a damaged IM suit with a rogue Jarvis AI that never self destructed (and will serve as a reason why Stark must remain in the suit)?
Dragon Clan Veritech
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Vision Theory mostly came about when people noticed the actor was still credited for upcoming movies, and when the show was revealed, and we were speculating as to how. I do like the idea of Coulson getting more front and center to the action in the next Avengers flick, and I think he's proved in previous appearances and this pilot that he'd handle the power well. Robot-angst, maybe not so much.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tsyroc wrote:I think I'd prefer the LMD or Vision idea though. During the show they have Coulson dodging something once and I thought the little bit the showed on how he did it seemed a little odd. It could be meant to just show he's really good but I thought it might imply he's not exactly or entirely human anymore.
Silly me, I rewatched both the AoS pilot and the Avengers movie today.

I do believe there is something up with Coulson, but I don't think we have enough information to make a good guess. Down the line we'll look back and say "oh, yes - here and here and here are the important bits" but that will be with hindsight.

The bit where Coulson dodges the flying van door - and he is the only one who is able to do that - is quite reminiscent of when Thor dodged an airplane wing tossed by the Hulk. It's the same bending backwards maneuver. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Seeing as he died to Loki's spear, in combat, a heroic death, maybe he was spirited off to Asgard (it wasn't Tahiti, it was Valhalla he stayed at) and then brought back? And came back an Asgardian warrior?

Well, no crazier than he's been downloaded into the original Human Torch's body and is now the Vision....

That, and I can't help but wonder if the crows/ravens flying by when Thor and Loki land on the rocky outcrop and Thor takes him from the jet in The Avengers are Huginn and Muninn keeping an eye on things for Odin. That whole movie has bits you can easily miss, they go by so fast, or in the background. Who knows which are important hints of things to come and which are just one-offs?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Broomstick wrote:The bit where Coulson dodges the flying van door - and he is the only one who is able to do that - is quite reminiscent of when Thor dodged an airplane wing tossed by the Hulk. It's the same bending backwards maneuver. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
I'm pretty sure the idea there is to show Coulson's calm and hint at combat proficiency. It's a dodge without giving ground.
Seeing as he died to Loki's spear, in combat, a heroic death, maybe he was spirited off to Asgard (it wasn't Tahiti, it was Valhalla he stayed at) and then brought back? And came back an Asgardian warrior?
While I could see his death getting him admittance, I don't see any reason or way he'd return, or why it would be a secret from him. The Tahiti thing- supposedly done by Fury- seems to be artificially engineered to conceal something damaging. Where as 'Oh you were sufficiently awesome to go to Asgardian heaven' doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to bear and if leaving it to fight again 'breaks' you then you probably didn't deserve it in the first place.
That, and I can't help but wonder if the crows/ravens flying by when Thor and Loki land on the rocky outcrop and Thor takes him from the jet in The Avengers are Huginn and Muninn keeping an eye on things for Odin.
I'm reasonably certain they are but I believe their task there was to track Loki down for Thor who as otherwise displayed no ability to find individuals on a planetwide search. Possibly they could report back to Odin but since we see them only there and then...
Dragon Clan Veritech
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Broomstick wrote:Seeing as he died to Loki's spear, in combat, a heroic death, maybe he was spirited off to Asgard (it wasn't Tahiti, it was Valhalla he stayed at) and then brought back? And came back an Asgardian warrior?
Coulson did say "It's a magical place."
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Kojiro wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Seeing as he died to Loki's spear, in combat, a heroic death, maybe he was spirited off to Asgard (it wasn't Tahiti, it was Valhalla he stayed at) and then brought back? And came back an Asgardian warrior?
While I could see his death getting him admittance, I don't see any reason or way he'd return, or why it would be a secret from him. The Tahiti thing- supposedly done by Fury- seems to be artificially engineered to conceal something damaging. Where as 'Oh you were sufficiently awesome to go to Asgardian heaven' doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to bear and if leaving it to fight again 'breaks' you then you probably didn't deserve it in the first place.
Are you kidding? He'd become absolutely insufferable!*

*Yes, this is a joke.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Can some tell me why, for ANY reason a plane would have a set of engines on it's tail as well as wings?
I mean, I know there are Jet plans with engines on the tail, or engines on the wings, but is there ANY reason to have them on both other than "it looks cool" ?

Aside from that gripe, I have LOVED What I have seen of this so far.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Can some tell me why, for ANY reason a plane would have a set of engines on it's tail as well as wings?
I mean, I know there are Jet plans with engines on the tail, or engines on the wings, but is there ANY reason to have them on both other than "it looks cool" ?
Because you want more than two engines, but less than four.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Grumman wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Can some tell me why, for ANY reason a plane would have a set of engines on it's tail as well as wings?
Because you want more than two engines, but less than four.
Except the SHIELD bird already has four engines on the wings :D
And while there have been aircraft with two engines at the base of the rudder, the SHIELD bird has them on the tailplane.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I presume more engines means more speed. So a SHIELD team which has to be able to respond quickly to unexpected situations might want as many as possible.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Those two extra engines would be a hell of a lot more useful if they weren't sucking on the exhaust of the wing engines.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

It's not like airplanes with 6 (or 8 ) engines on the wings are unprecedented. The question is what advantage does having those two engines attached to the tailplane entail.
@Broomstick wrt the exhaust of the wing engines-the rear ones are noticeably inboards of the wing engines to the extent that I would have accepted that not to be a problem. I take it you think that at least using real world physics, this is not the case :)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Batman wrote:@Broomstick wrt the exhaust of the wing engines-the rear ones are noticeably inboards of the wing engines to the extent that I would have accepted that not to be a problem. I take it you think that at least using real world physics, this is not the case :)
The exhaust coming out the rear of a jet engine does expand. I'm not qualified to run an exacting design analysis here but I have to wonder about the very hot, largely de-oxygenated exhaust plume getting sucked into the rear two engines. It just doesn't strike me as a viable set up. Airplanes with 6 engines usually have them in an array, not lined up behind each other.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

So I just streamed episode 2. I felt it improved on the already strong pilot, and you got a real sense of the team starting to pull together and trust in one another's skills. Spoiler
Although I must admit, Skye's...ahem...'sudden but inevitable betrayal' at the end had me rolling my eyes. Though this was swiftly counteracted by a short but hilarious cameo by Nick Fury. For now, my main concern is the show seems to be bending over backwards to remind us of the ties to the MCU, the name-dropping is starting to get quite frenetic in just the second episode.
All in all, so far it's keeping me intrigued, and at this level of quality I'll have no problem seeing it through to the end.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

This is a universe where a roughly man sized suit has the fuel and speed to fly Tony Stark around the world in a reasonable amount of time, among other things. I can live with the engine setup.

And dude, there's a spoiler warning in the title, can we not have the stupid boxes? Thanks.

Anyway I enjoyed the second episode. Yes Skye's "I'm in" was predictable but I'm guessing she'll pull a 180 at some point down the line. She's still coming across as "the idealist" who is hoping to expose all of SHIELD's secrets so not exactly a villain. Unless she becomes evil or whatever, but somehow I doubt that.

And Sam Jackson cameo at the end. I bet that triggered a fair number of nerdgasms across the viewing audience.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

A lot of the new episode seemed cliche. I was surprised by the Fury cameo at the end though. And Coulson continues to be a bad ass. I also kind of like the nerdy scientist duo.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Just a heads-up for Australians: I haven't confirmed that it's showing in every state, but the first two episodes of Agents of Shield are on 7 tonight.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

RogueIce wrote:This is a universe where a roughly man sized suit has the fuel and speed to fly Tony Stark around the world in a reasonable amount of time, among other things. I can live with the engine setup.
I suppose I can, too.

And yes, I nitpick the flying suit, too. And the airplane depressurization scene. Doesn't mean I have no affection for the MCU, I just easily distinguish between real physics and comic book physics :) .

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Broomstick wrote:
Batman wrote:@Broomstick wrt the exhaust of the wing engines-the rear ones are noticeably inboards of the wing engines to the extent that I would have accepted that not to be a problem. I take it you think that at least using real world physics, this is not the case :)
The exhaust coming out the rear of a jet engine does expand. I'm not qualified to run an exacting design analysis here but I have to wonder about the very hot, largely de-oxygenated exhaust plume getting sucked into the rear two engines. It just doesn't strike me as a viable set up. Airplanes with 6 engines usually have them in an array, not lined up behind each other.
If the engines couldn't run well normally, is it possible they're there as some form of backup? As I understand it, a four-engine plane already has redundancy, but perhaps a bit more considering how often SHIELD deals with the unexpected?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud