Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers

Post by Cykeisme »

Ralin wrote:I don't think you can call stuff like
Spoiler
slave soldiers chained together at the wrist and ankles in groups of ten or going into battle wearing high heel-stilts
Anything but silly.
Spoiler
The book outright describes them as silly.
It's NOT as if they're feared fighters in-universe, they're not. These slavers with their ridiculous units of fighting slaves would be worthless on the battlefield. It's made very clear that every actual sellsword in the book who sees them knows they're a joke.

Just to clarify, I've only started on the series (my plan was to read first, and I've only just finished).
Has anyone who's done it in the same order (read, then watched) been significantly disappointed by any of the changes in particular?
Even in the beginning of the first season, I've already found that some characters didn't perfectly match how I pictured them, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Going back to the Daario thing, I agree with Ralin they could have gone with just the blue hair, possibly the forked beard, if done right. The level of visual weirdness would have to be compensated for by showing equal measures of deeds. For one thing, they'd need to establish that he's not just some pompous fool, by showing him brutally slaughtering some enemies with his gold-hilted ladies.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Cykeisme wrote:Has anyone who's done it in the same order (read, then watched) been significantly disappointed by any of the changes in particular?
Even in the beginning of the first season, I've already found that some characters didn't perfectly match how I pictured them, but I suppose that's to be expected.
Not really disappointed so much as confused by some of the things they changed/left out. Like Tyrion's line about never betting against his family, or when he told Mort to present himself to the court if he ever found himself in Casterly Rock so Tyrion could give him "The rest of what I owe you."

Off the top of my head I'd say my biggest disappointment was Roose Bolton. He just does not have the creepiness that makes him memorable in the book, and you can tell they're having to overcompensate with Ramsey as a result.

I was also hoping we'd get one scene of Jaime just completely kicking ass before he was maimed, but meh, didn't really expect it. Or for the fight between him and Brienne to be very well done, for that matter.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Wow they're really burning through the "good guys". :lol:
You know if this was the beginning of the season I would say that Starks (those that audience knows and cares for) are pretty much done for and any drama between Starks and Lannisters is gone however both Bran and Arya are growing up, becoming more proactive and seem better prepared to fill in dead Stark's shoes than they were at the end of season 2.
Maybe Bran will go all Xavier on us and mind control a dragon right beneath Daenerys' ass.

Of course there is Jon Snow and I always kind of thought his character has a long journey ahead of him, discovering who or what the White Walkers are and who he really is, who his mother is but now I'm not sure he'll make it to the end of the season either (certanly not judging by the look Ygritte gave him as he hightailed it to Castle Black).
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

P.S. Catelyin slitting the throat of that girl and getting her own cut in turn was nothing compared to Mormont getting friendzoned in 5 minutes of screen time. Now that was brutal.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I love how critics praised this horrid episode when it was 40 minutes of shit followed by predictable bullshit in the last ten minutes. The show has lost any sense of qualitative entertainment and instead relies on shock value to get the attention of its brain dead audience.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

I thought a lot of interesting things happened. Jon decides he will not harm an unarmed old man even if his own life is at stake, even for Ygritte. He decides to fight the wildlings and escape. Bran continues to discover the extent of his powers. Daenerys' decision to do the right thing actually pays off when Yunkai slaves throw down their weapons and decide to join her forces.
Robb faces the consequences of his actions. Northern Rebellion is now pretty much crushed but it remains to be seen how Northern common folk and other houses will treat the Freys and Boltons in the future after such a betrayal and whether this will bite them in the ass.
In fact it is a pretty densely packed episode I would say.

As far as the "shock value" goes these events were written in the books over 10 years ago. So it's not as if the TV producers were suddenly like "holy shit the ratings are down better kill a whole bunch of Starks".
Call me. -Batman
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Kane Starkiller wrote:As far as the "shock value" goes these events were written in the books over 10 years ago. So it's not as if the TV producers were suddenly like "holy shit the ratings are down better kill a whole bunch of Starks".
That's not a valid reason for imitating Shyamalan, though. You have 40 minutes stuff that appears to be development and then you're bombarded with excessive and laughable violence just so the audience can get their rocks off. The show does for violence what it does with sex: poorly executed, excessive, and devoid of any subtlety. Then you have that cheesy stuff with Rob and his partner's fetus.

Hell, even that development blew because the show treats magic like all lazy works of art do: use it when it's needed to get the characters out of situations.

I will say that the shot of Catelyn cutting Frey's wife's throat and having her own cut was well done. The only good thing as of late regarding cinematography and one of the few good things about the episode.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Hell, even that development blew because the show treats magic like all lazy works of art do: use it when it's needed to get the characters out of situations.
Yeah, pretty sure that this is a valid choice. Not all magic need be rigid and Sanderson-esque. Sometimes it works as just something magical.

YMMV obviously. If Martin had went out of his way to create robust rules like JKR and then break them or appeal to randomness or something it'd be one thing. He didnt.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That's not a valid reason for imitating Shyamalan, though. You have 40 minutes stuff that appears to be development and then you're bombarded with excessive and laughable violence just so the audience can get their rocks off. The show does for violence what it does with sex: poorly executed, excessive, and devoid of any subtlety. Then you have that cheesy stuff with Rob and his partner's fetus.
Not really sure why violence should be be subtle.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Vympel wrote:
It's relative. I am not a fan of excessive violence anymore and prefer the atmosphere more than the violence itself. Seeing people penetrated with knives and arrows is not entertaining. Seeing Catelyn scream for her son is. Seeing Arya's look of horror on her face knowing something major just went down is. Watching Frey manically smile with glee at what he did is. It's too bad that HBO's trademark ruined all of that shit sans Arya's reaction.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Scrib wrote:
Yeah, pretty sure that this is a valid choice. Not all magic need be rigid and Sanderson-esque. Sometimes it works as just something magical.

YMMV obviously. If Martin had went out of his way to create robust rules like JKR and then break them or appeal to randomness or something it'd be one thing. He didnt.
"Oh, hai there. We need you to help us all and take control of people and wolves. We never really introduced that you could do this at will, but do it anyway to move the story along. Mmkay?" It sucks. It doesn't have to be like Rowling's world. They were gradually showing the use of magic with Bran (is that his name?) but went all out for the sake of moving the story along.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

JLTucker wrote: "Oh, hai there. We need you to help us all and take control of people and wolves. We never really introduced that you could do this at will, but do it anyway to move the story along. Mmkay?" It sucks. It doesn't have to be like Rowling's world. They were gradually showing the use of magic with Bran (is that his name?) but went all out for the sake of moving the story along.
They did introduce that he could do it at will, in multiple ways. First they showed that Orell, a practiced skinchanger, did it at will, and they also showed Jojen flat out tell Bran that doing it in dreams was only how it starts, and that he should be able to do it at will. I don't really see the problem with basically having Bran do it at will through reflex/adrenaline because of extreme pressure.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Kane Starkiller wrote:P.S. Catelyin slitting the throat of that girl and getting her own cut in turn was nothing compared to Mormont getting friendzoned in 5 minutes of screen time. Now that was brutal.
As I've pointed out before, my girlfriend has been convinced Danerys should have slept with Jorah by now. But between the appearance of Barrister, the flashback from Season 1 where everyone was reminded that Jorah is one of Varys' spies, AND the introduction of Fabio it appears Danerys isn't the only woman ready to kick poor Jorah to the curb.
:lol:

I've always thought the Danerys/Jorah thing was a steal from Jarrolt's Mary, Queen of Scots:

You have a teenage queen living in exile who is not liked or respected by very many people, except for her beauty and her title. When her first husband dies, she's left on her own aside from a shady, scruffy older man (who obviously wants her for himself) no one trusts. He is then pushed aside for a younger man the queen should have better sense than to fool around with. The look on Jorah's face when Danerys asks about Fabio reminded me of the look on Bothwell's face when he reaches to kiss Mary's hand and she pulls it away. Oh and where Bothwell admits he's jealous of the younger, prettier man Mary has chosen.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Nice catch. That's almost certainly deliberate on behalf of GRRM. He freely admits adapting things from works he likes - for example, he notes the book version of Stannis takes a lot from George Baker's turn as Tiberius in I, Claudius, which I spotted in Stannis' first big speech in the second book (where he complains about how Robert never thanked him for anything he did). It mirrors Tiberius' aggrieved speech in I, Claudius about Augustus always taking him for granted.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Wedding reminded me of the palace coup (1:07:41) where the Scottish lords drag Rizzio out and stab him dozens of time ("And this is from the king!"), while trying to shoot the pregnant queen in the stomach with a pistol.
:shock:
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Vympel wrote:Nice catch. That's almost certainly deliberate on behalf of GRRM. He freely admits adapting things from works he likes - for example, he notes the book version of Stannis takes a lot from George Baker's turn as Tiberius in I, Claudius, which I spotted in Stannis' first big speech in the second book (where he complains about how Robert never thanked him for anything he did). It mirrors Tiberius' aggrieved speech in I, Claudius about Augustus always taking him for granted.
Never heard that before, but I can definitely see it. Stannis would be about as happy as King as Tiberius was as Emperor, too.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Jorah Mormont's blue balls:

Saw this on YouTube:

Q: Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter?

A: He killed all 140 characters.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Elfdart wrote:The Wedding reminded me of the palace coup (1:07:41) where the Scottish lords drag Rizzio out and stab him dozens of time ("And this is from the king!"), while trying to shoot the pregnant queen in the stomach with a pistol.
:shock:
I haven't seen Mary, Queen of Scots, but Martin has specifically mentioned two sets of Scottish shenanigans as inspiration for the Red Wedding: the Massacre of Glencoe and the Black Dinner. (I read the interview earlier today, but I've closed the tab and I can't find the page again. I think I saw it linked on Reddit.)
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Vympel wrote:
I agree, by showing they are willing to kill a pregnant mother and baby, it makes the rest of the scene more tense by making the viewer have to wish someone will be safe. Works both ways, without tragic things happening the good times aren't as "good" also, you need the up and down swings to get better emotion and reactions. Take the complaints about the Yunkai takeover, imagine if the RW was purely offscreen, it's like erasing the Godfather toll booth scene.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

JLTucker wrote:
Vympel wrote:
It's relative. I am not a fan of excessive violence anymore and prefer the atmosphere more than the violence itself. Seeing people penetrated with knives and arrows is not entertaining. Seeing Catelyn scream for her son is. Seeing Arya's look of horror on her face knowing something major just went down is. Watching Frey manically smile with glee at what he did is. It's too bad that HBO's trademark ruined all of that shit sans Arya's reaction.
Right, so it's poorly executed because you, JLTucker, are not a fan of it? (Not to mention that there was actually a reaction and atmosphere as well).
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Scrib wrote:
JLTucker wrote:It's relative. I am not a fan of excessive violence anymore and prefer the atmosphere more than the violence itself. Seeing people penetrated with knives and arrows is not entertaining. Seeing Catelyn scream for her son is. Seeing Arya's look of horror on her face knowing something major just went down is. Watching Frey manically smile with glee at what he did is. It's too bad that HBO's trademark ruined all of that shit sans Arya's reaction.
Right, so it's poorly executed because you, JLTucker, are not a fan of it? (Not to mention that there was actually a reaction and atmosphere as well).
No. It's poorly executed because it was in the vein of a Shyamalan film, poorly directed, shot, exaggerated, violence over atmosphere, etc. Having Rob and what's her face become lovey dovey about their fetus and then see them murdered was poorly executed and has all the trademarks of a hack writer and director. Let's ham shit up and then go out with a glorious and exaggerated bang!
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

JLTucker wrote:
Scrib wrote:
JLTucker wrote:It's relative. I am not a fan of excessive violence anymore and prefer the atmosphere more than the violence itself. Seeing people penetrated with knives and arrows is not entertaining. Seeing Catelyn scream for her son is. Seeing Arya's look of horror on her face knowing something major just went down is. Watching Frey manically smile with glee at what he did is. It's too bad that HBO's trademark ruined all of that shit sans Arya's reaction.
No. It's poorly executed because it was in the vein of a Shyamalan film, poorly directed, shot, exaggerated, violence over atmosphere, etc. Having Rob and what's her face become lovey dovey about their fetus and then see them murdered was poorly executed and has all the trademarks of a hack writer and director. Let's ham shit up and then go out with a glorious and exaggerated bang!
While I definitely have not given much of a shit about Robb and Talisa at all amidst the constant transparent attempts to make me give a shit so I'm not sure if it's sappy or just the final twist of the knife. Leaving Robb's sort-of reconciliation with his mother would probably have been more subtle but if perhaps if I wasn't a book reader could have felt for these people without seeing the hand of the puppeteer and knowing his mind it would have had an effect.

I personally liked the shock violence. It brought an immediate visceral reaction with it. And while the violence went by pretty fast wrt to the extras it had emotional weight from the death of Jeyne (a bit) to Grey Wind (who we probably should have seen more of before) to Robb (Madden was not particularly impressive) and Cat.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

My favourite part of the episode was when Catelyn slowly starts realising that things are going wrong, and then through Bolton's subtle hints realises exactly how wrong things are about to get. I thought it was a great way to bring up the tension before the climax and the body language he was using made him seem incredibly dangerous and creepy in a greatly subtle way.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The only thing that offended the girls in the office more than this pic was that I laughed out loud at it:

They all hate Jon Snow now for running out on Ygritte.

When he tells the scrawny beastmaster "You were right about me all along" I started to doubt he's the offspring of Ned Stark. Not only was he slightly devious, but he seemed to enjoy being a bit of a dick and showed a little bit of character instead of being the mopey dullard he usually is. I like Asshole Jon Snow!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'm surprised at how many non-book readers had a problem with Jon running off without Ygritte. Not only did she kill the the defenceless old horse breeder (showing how different she is from him in that respect), but he clearly wasn't going to risk his chance of warning Castle Black with some sentimental attempt to bring her back to a whole bunch of awkward questions.