She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (spoilers)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Or, you know, just confiscating the ring so he literally cannot (mis)use it. Really the sorcerers dropped the ball by allowing him to keep his ring in the first place when they kicked him out.

Her dating does raise two questions- how did she have sex without crushing the good doctor since Mr. asshole didn't recognise her in Jennifer form, and can she get pregnant?

It did have the feeling of ending just as it was getting going. And the drunk girl spoiling the Sopranos for Wong was pretty hilarious! :lol:
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-09-12 01:32pm Her dating does raise two questions- how did she have sex without crushing the good doctor since Mr. asshole didn't recognise her in Jennifer form, and can she get pregnant?
With enough motivation, two people quite interested in being intimate with each other right now will figure it out as they go readily enough. As to the pregnancy question... presumably she's self-aware enough to have protection on hand, or he did (child support bills are no joke). Plus, if a bit of blood was enough to turn her into a Hulk, do you *really* want to take chances with any other bodily fluids?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Episode 5 was basically fine. It felt like a more complete tale than some others in it's run length. Wasn't particularly great and obviously the final shot is the real highlight as we don't even see Jen's supersuit.

Still I like seeing Titania and the use of continuity with the dates and the karma for what she did in episode 3 was interesting enough.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm not a lawyer (leave alone a US one) but the way they established Jen used the She-Hulk name first and consistently was nicely done.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-09-08 01:06pm Episode 4 is another one that felt like it was only just getting going by the time of the end. With the problem of the demons and resolution all being one quick thing.

Jen's dad is a sweetie. The bad dates were appropriately funny. Bummer that the one decent guy isn't into Jen not as she-hulk.

Jen could have made more a deal out of the difference of sleight-of-hand and actual magic. I don't buy the Judge was taken by Donny Blaze. And they could easily allowed him to practise illusion and not use the slingie for example.

More Titania next week though looking forward to that
I'm really not getting into this one. Don't know if it's my mental state or just bored with it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Episode... 6? Really? What no Matt? After last week’s ending. huh. But then maybe that’s what the fourth wall break at the start was about.

interesting, that the one time Jen voluntarily Hulks is the one time it’s unwanted until the end. I was hoping for more come-upance for everyone piling work on Jen but as usual, short episode.

Like Legal stuff isn’t the show’s strength. The fight scenes aren’t the shows strength. Tbh, I’m becoming increasingly less certain what the show’s strength is. Jen herself is decently watchable though. *shrug*

Like Mr Immortal’s a douche but it doesn’t feel like Book and Ramos were doing a good job of representing him.

This is episode 6. Two thirds of the way through. If this does have an over arching plot it needs to get moving with it I think. And it has to deal with that and Matt. I wonder if the final episodes will get at least a little longer like the pilot was.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Book and Ramos weren't 'trying' to do a good job representing Mr Immortal (probably not very professional of them but when the client's that big a douche, very human of them), they were trying to show their client how big a douche he was and getting the ex-wives the deals they wanted.
If there's an overarching plot they have either yet to start it (a little late I think) or it at best is 'Jen VS Titania'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah that's kind of my point. They're supposed to represent the guy, not his ex-wives. We're supposed to cheer them being bad and unprofessional at their jobs? (otoh, it's was pointed out to me that appeasing his ex-wives is his best strategy to not have them come have to him criminally. So maybe giving them everything they want rather than let the courts give them more is supposed to be the best option)

Jen V titania plus whoever sent the Wrecking Crew to steal Jen's blood. Popularly theorised to be Spoiler
The Leader. Who's also supposed to be back in Cap 4.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

There was a mention of the likelyhood of criminal charges so giving the exes everything they wanted might very well have been the best deal to be had (not to mention very emotionally satisfying for the exes. and Book and Ramos).
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So,I've watched a few episodes now. (Just finished Episode 3 tonight).

I am enjoying the show.

I have no idea why anyone is complaining about it. the CGI is perfectly acceptable. It's meant to show she is not nearly as changed as the other 'mass shifter anger supers' (i.e Hulk, Abomination). She's still a fairly attractive individual (just Green)

Even the Twerking scence, which I've seen people complaining about, was actually funny.

She just signed a major media star to her firm, after what appears to be less then a week on the job. A media star she's evidently become fast friends with, and who started the dancing and twerking FIRST.

And the boss didn't see the twerking, he was one of his top lawyers celebrating with a new major client, and decided not to interupt. That's actually very professional.

It was also a post credit scene, so what's the harm?

And everything is, is in line with the comic portrayal of the She-hulk. Yeah, sometimes she's a serious character, but she's more funny then anything, and the comics have had worse then her twerking. She's jumped rope while nude (with the speed of her jumps causing the rope to censor her privates), while talking with the comic book editor.

This is an enjoyable show. Social media complainers need to shut the hell up and actually learn to think.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-09-22 06:20pm Yeah that's kind of my point. They're supposed to represent the guy, not his ex-wives. We're supposed to cheer them being bad and unprofessional at their jobs? (otoh, it's was pointed out to me that appeasing his ex-wives is his best strategy to not have them come have to him criminally. So maybe giving them everything they want rather than let the courts give them more is supposed to be the best option)
I think that's it - they're trying to appease the ex-spouses (there was definitely a man among the aggrieved parties) so they don't file criminal charges which would include things like fraud and bigamy (hence the throw-away line about possible insurance pay-outs which, if the person the policy was for is actually alive and not dead would constitute fraud)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Solauren wrote: 2022-09-23 10:45pm So,I've watched a few episodes now. (Just finished Episode 3 tonight).

I am enjoying the show.

I have no idea why anyone is complaining about it. the CGI is perfectly acceptable. It's meant to show she is not nearly as changed as the other 'mass shifter anger supers' (i.e Hulk, Abomination). She's still a fairly attractive individual (just Green)

Even the Twerking scence, which I've seen people complaining about, was actually funny.

She just signed a major media star to her firm, after what appears to be less then a week on the job. A media star she's evidently become fast friends with, and who started the dancing and twerking FIRST.

And the boss didn't see the twerking, he was one of his top lawyers celebrating with a new major client, and decided not to interupt. That's actually very professional.

It was also a post credit scene, so what's the harm?

And everything is, is in line with the comic portrayal of the She-hulk. Yeah, sometimes she's a serious character, but she's more funny then anything, and the comics have had worse then her twerking. She's jumped rope while nude (with the speed of her jumps causing the rope to censor her privates), while talking with the comic book editor.

This is an enjoyable show. Social media complainers need to shut the hell up and actually learn to think.
It's misogyny. They don't like female leads other than the ones they were exposed to as kids and so make up whatever damn reason they need.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The 'justification' I've seen that is it's somehow hypocritical to be a 'feminist' tv show while also having the characters do sexy things and comment on their own attractiveness and so forth.

Which of course isn't hypocritical at all.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

My only minor issue with the show is the lack of momentum in the narrative.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

ray245 wrote: 2022-09-25 10:13am My only minor issue with the show is the lack of momentum in the narrative.
I like that aspect of it. This is Jennifer's life, and life is rarely 'super-fast paced'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Episode 7. God damn it. I know people called it last week but I held hope Josh was legit until the initial 'super happy relationship' montage which just guaranteed it was going to turn out tragically one way or the other.

The whole 'stop using She-Hulk as a shield' bit was undermined by the fact she was Jen up until a guy who literally attacked her showed up. Being defensive about that is pretty rational.

I was surprised she didn't grill Wrecker about who send him and the crew but then did she actually clue to the 'trying to get her blood' thing at the time? IF Wrecker's reformed he could have clued her in.

Just structurally it sadly seems much more likely for Blonksy to be HulkKing than Leader appearing with no other foreshadowing in the show.

Also still no Matt but it must be next episode right? They can't give him a big role in the finale.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wow, so there are so many things to talk about episode 8. A) The final scene and B) The rest of the episode.

And given a sterling performance from Charlie Cox as Daredevil, it seems sad that A inevitably overshadows B.

Because Charlie’s turn was a great one issue team up. It has them meeting, a misunderstanding fight and then work together to bring down one the baddie. Happy endings all round! ;) Seriously though Cox is charming both as Matt and as DD. His fight with She-Hulk is great in that he’s clearly skilled and talented but rightly taken down in a way that makes sense for their characters (he’s weak to gamma clap) and it gives him props without overshadowing Jen. (it is her show still)

Also I love the use of the Netflix theme in his intro. This bodes well for Born Again, I’d say.

And i love Jen fourth wall noting that the episode should be over and it’s only still going for finale set up. And she expects a twist which it is for her but less so for the audience. Still not clue on Hulk King’s identity but them hijacking and showing her private information (I almost typed dirty secrets but she hasn’t actually done anything wrong) and her reaction is an immesively effect cliffhanger.

Damage control has an amazing quick reaction time though unless they’ve been stalking Jen or otherwise tipped off ahead of time.

And this seems to be the first time since the pilot we’ve seen Jen fully lose control and hulk-rage, or at least that’s how I intepreted the final moment there.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wow, so there are so many things to talk about episode 8. A) The final scene and B) The rest of the episode.

And given a sterling performance from Charlie Cox as Daredevil, it seems sad that A inevitably overshadows B.

Because Charlie’s turn was a great one issue team up. It has them meeting, a misunderstanding fight and then work together to bring down one the baddie. Happy endings all round! ;) Seriously though Cox is charming both as Matt and as DD. His fight with She-Hulk is great in that he’s clearly skilled and talented but rightly taken down in a way that makes sense for their characters (he’s weak to gamma clap) and it gives him props without overshadowing Jen. (it is her show still)

Also I love the use of the Netflix theme in his intro. This bodes well for Born Again, I’d say.

And i love Jen fourth wall noting that the episode should be over and it’s only still going for finale set up. And she expects a twist which it is for her but less so for the audience. Still not clue on Hulk King’s identity but them hijacking and showing her private information (I almost typed dirty secrets but she hasn’t actually done anything wrong) and her reaction is an immesively effect cliffhanger.

Damage control has an amazing quick reaction time though unless they’ve been stalking Jen or otherwise tipped off ahead of time.

And this seems to be the first time since the pilot we’ve seen Jen fully lose control and hulk-rage, or at least that’s how I intepreted the final moment there.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

TBH I fully expect Damage Control has been following her around quietly, waiting for an excuse. We know they're a bunch of overzealous types itching for an excuse to take down any super they encounter (see: Ms. Marvel).

The ending, while in keeping with the behavior of such foes, still pisses me off (but it probably is supposed to). Next episode is undoubtedly Jen having to be defended in court by her peers while whatever's going on with that narcissist super-bitch and these online voyeurs comes to a head.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Steve wrote: 2022-10-09 10:42am TBH I fully expect Damage Control has been following her around quietly, waiting for an excuse. We know they're a bunch of overzealous types itching for an excuse to take down any super they encounter (see: Ms. Marvel).
And given Matt mentioned the Sokovia Accords have been repealed their authority for doing so seems unclear.
The ending, while in keeping with the behavior of such foes, still pisses me off (but it probably is supposed to). Next episode is undoubtedly Jen having to be defended in court by her peers while whatever's going on with that narcissist super-bitch and these online voyeurs comes to a head.
I hadn't got as far as thinking who'd defend Jen. It's pretty established in the show that, as in real life, repping yourself isn't a good idea. Matt's gone back to New York, Mallory Book's a witness. Thematically it would be nice to show not all men are dicks by having Pug or her boss do it.

Legally I think it should be pretty easy to get her off. 'she was being illegal exposed and trying to stop it' strikes me as good defense. But as Bruce laid out in the pilot. And similar to No Way Home, the court of public appeal and everyone now seeing her as a 'hulk smash' type monster is going to be her real issue.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Pug, possible. Holliway, no chance, from the look he gave at the end he'll probably be looking to fire her.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

This show remains awesome.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-10-09 11:02am
Steve wrote: 2022-10-09 10:42am TBH I fully expect Damage Control has been following her around quietly, waiting for an excuse. We know they're a bunch of overzealous types itching for an excuse to take down any super they encounter (see: Ms. Marvel).
And given Matt mentioned the Sokovia Accords have been repealed their authority for doing so seems unclear.
If Damage Control is a US authority operating in the US, it shouldn't be an issue at all.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

So, the finale was... not what I expected, but in a mostly good way.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well that was... unexpected. There were lot of story elements I did expect but they'd been foreshadowed and the show was good at making use of it.

And then they decide all the stuff they were setting up was stupid and Jen changes it in a massive fourth wall break.

I get it. I don't know how I feel about it.

It works kinda for She-Hulk, it's going to make the show very difficult to fit neatly into the greater MCU.

I feel like rather than writing a bad ending and have Jen lampshade and retcon it you could just have written an ending you were happy with in the first place.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That was a fun ending, especially with Feige being an AI.

Because why the hell not make it like that?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin