hawkeye (spoilers possible)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

hawkeye (spoilers possible)

Post by Crazedwraith »

First two episodes are out today on disney plus
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: hawkeye (spoilers possible)

Post by Crazedwraith »

I enjoyed the first two episodes. Lots of good character moments and humour and they're giving Clint a good emotional arc with the guilt over his actions as Ronan. The way he squirms when anyone thanks him for his heroic actions as Hawkeye is really telling as the public don't know he was Ronan.

The 'Thanos was right' meme acknowledgement was a gut punch.

Clint Larping was great as well. All in all a strong, if slow , start. I do wonder though (BW spoilers) Spoiler
How this is going to lead in to Yelena's appearance and if they have time to do her story justice because we're a third of the way in.
But then I wondered about time constraints for FatWS and Loki was well and they turned out okay.

eta: I do hope they've got some decent action setpieces lined to show off the Hawkeyes' stuff though.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Spoiler
Okay, the dog has to be something special. The missing eye makes it too obvious it's Nick Fury using alien tech, so I'm hoping it's just a particularly dedicated Skrull.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Episode 3!

So... where did they get the trick arrows? The only person that bought a quiver was Kate and there’s no indication that she’d brought Clint’s stuff. He just seem to randomly find his gear in the Tracksuit base?

Other than that, great episode. Loved Echo’s backstory segment. Based on what people have said, was the Fisk’s hand? Explains why she’s got in for Ronin.

Still loving Clint and he finally got some bow work in. It’s nice that he’s no longer killing and going strictly for injuring shots. I am not expert on it but the ASL conversation he messes up with Echo and the distinction between head of hearing and deaf was interesting.

The phone conversation with Nathaniel was heartbreaking as was Clint’s declaration that he isn’t any kind of role model. Despite sitting next to someone who is literally basing themselves on Clint.

Still it feels like early days of the story though when in fact we’re halfway through. I’m beginning to think Yelena must only cameo because I can’t see how they are going to fit a meaty arc for her in,
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

double post
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I'm loving it so far. I like them showing Clint having the wear and tear of being a spy/field agent and then an Avenger with no super powers. And I love Jeremy Renner's performance, carrying through that desperation of not having seen his kids in five plus years, and now he has them back and he's just wanting to be with them as much as he can but he's stuck cleaning up this mess. When his youngest called him and told him 'It's ok if you're not home for CHristmas', yeah, that was such a gut punch. I imagine there were a lot of times he was busy for holidays and family time and now he just wants to make up for what he missed. And Crazed, the trick arrows, he had them with him when he surrendered to the TrackSuits.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah! I missed/forget that on first watch but someone pointed it out on another site. :)

Glad someone else is watching!
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Oh, and missed the edit window, but I’m 99% that was Fisk, cause that chuckle sure sounded like Vincent D’Onofrio. And apparently foreign language dubs used the same voice actors for that chuckle as they did for Fisk in the Netflix MCU
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2021-12-02 03:03pm Oh, and missed the edit window, but I’m 99% that was Fisk, cause that chuckle sure sounded like Vincent D’Onofrio. And apparently foreign language dubs used the same voice actors for that chuckle as they did for Fisk in the Netflix MCU
Maya Lopez/Echo is apparently linked to Fisk in the comics. It certainly sounded like Fisk to me but I'd already heard lots of theories he was going to be in it, so I thought I might be hearing what I expected.
teto10
Redshirt

Post by teto10 »

Lots of good character moments and humour and they're giving Clint a good emotional arc with the guilt over his actions as Ronan.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Demonstrating that unlike the rest of the Avengers, Barton definitely does not have Steel Eardrums. With the end of Black Widow setting up Clint as Belova's next target, you can be damn sure she's going to show up later in the series.

In the third episode we were finally treated to Hawkeye doing more Hawkeye things with trick arrows, including one special Pym arrow that turns a normal arrow into the size of a telephone pole! :lol: :mrgreen:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Episode four and shit just got real with Yelena finally appearing and a 3 way, four person fight between her, Maya and the Hawkeyes.

Really strong episode. From Clint and Laura working together. Clint and Kate's bonding which starts out fun and ends up very serious with Kate realising Clint was Ronin. Surprisingly lowkey reaction and not the huge broken pedestal moment because it feels more like Kate is in shock than anything.

Eleanor is giving off really weird vibes while trying scare Clint off and then has a mysterious phone call, it's looking more and more like she's dodgy and Jack is a red herring. The scene with their family bonding juxtaposed against Clint all alone was very effective.

But obviously the last scene/fight was the best. The way Clint talks about 'a Black Widow assassin' really implies to me that despite what I thought was a hopeful ending up Black Widow, many of those freed black widows, kept on doing what they were doing. Not for a good cause like Nat but just for anyone who'd pay. There's certainly enough of them that Clint's not confused at one's appearance and hasn't twigged who Yelena is and her personal stake in attacking him.

Next episode can't come soon enough.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Being surprised a mobster has a list of your kids' names and ages when you took them to a restaurant in New York city after seeing a play starring a character inspired by yourself.... who needs the watch?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

GuppyShark wrote: 2021-12-09 07:22am Being surprised a mobster has a list of your kids' names and ages when you took them to a restaurant in New York city after seeing a play starring a character inspired by yourself.... who needs the watch?
Well, Kate found the list before they learned it was Maya's flat. Clint took his family to the play before getting involved in the Ronin issue and people don't seem to know he was Ronin so he had no reason to believe people were checking up on him at that point.

The watch relates to the identity of as yet unknown ally not his family. (tumblr speculation is that it's Laura but who knows though if it was specifically an ally of Ronin it wouldn't scan)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Epsiode 5 thoughts:

Obviously the wham shot at the end is what everyone will be talking about. Or Yelena’s scenes. Damn, I mean everyone’s been saying it’s coming but wow, Wilson Fisk is in the hissy to quote the Daredevil movie no one likes. I wonder if they will be an explicit references to the events of thr netflix Daredevil series of if they will keep vague.

We’ve actually called a fair bit of this Eleanor is evil and in league with Kingpin, Clint did kill Maya’s father but her father was also set up by Kingpin. Clint definitely knows about Yelena from Natasha but has never met her/doesn’t know her on sight.

Also of note, Kazi was definitely in on the the murder of William Lopez.

Clint as Ronin went Batman on those goons but with Yelena, Kate and Maya all getting scenes before him he does feel a little under used.

His scene in front of the Avengers’ plague though. Damn, great work there by the show. Also I think this is the first time we've seen the full blip from the blip's point of view. We saw people leave, we saw Rambeau come back in WandaVision but we saw the whole thing from Yelena's pov.

All in all, good but I still have no idea how they can wrap this up in 1 episode without short changing the characters.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So the finale went much as expected.

I loved that the LARPers were included and very competent aides to the Hawkeyes. I super love Kate’s speech to Clint and his very understated but sweet smile as a reaction.

And I love that Clint got home and actually saw and hugged his wife and that she immediately welcomes Kate into the fold with a hug,

Only two missteps: If they really killed Kingpin like that, then that’s awful but it’s off screen so ample chance to revisit that and change it for Echo.

And the full Rogers The Musical revisit as the stinger. Not bad but I’d’ve preferred something more meaningful and plot relevant for the future.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

So the dog was just a dog? What the fuck.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The dog's a character from the fraction/aja run. It was always just a dog included for cuteness.