Game Of Thrones: Final Season --SPOILERS!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Game Of Thrones: Final Season --SPOILERS!

Post by Solauren »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-09 08:15pm Rhaegal will get raised as a water zombie by the Drowned God, and Euron will ride him into battle against Daenerys. :)
That would actually be kind of cool.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

"Cool" isn't the word I would use...

Here's a prediction: The Hound will utilize his experiences with the followers of the Lord of the Light to ignite his sword on fire in his final showdown with The Mountain (Cleganebowl!), fighting his fear of fire due to the need for a weapon that can actually put down the fucker. If this happens I will be deeply annoyed.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2019-05-12 01:01am "Cool" isn't the word I would use...

Here's a prediction: The Hound will utilize his experiences with the followers of the Lord of the Light to ignite his sword on fire in his final showdown with The Mountain (Cleganebowl!), fighting his fear of fire due to the need for a weapon that can actually put down the fucker. If this happens I will be deeply annoyed.
Dose the Mountain in oil, then light him on fire. That would be much better for the Hound to do. That would be 'payback is a bitch, with interest'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Since Arya killed the NK, I don't think she gets to kill Cerci, but if the Hound and the Mountain start going at it, with Arya and the Hound's history, I can see Arya coming up behind the Mountain and getting a good hit in, slowing him down for the Hound to kill him/it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Predictions:

Arya is going to die somehow - What better way to subvert expectations when she comes off a high point like killing the NK. I would further wage it will be another face wearing assassin.

The Hound is going to die taking out the Mountain - I suspect a bitter sweet victory like them both dying in flames

Ceseri is going to burn - Good chance it is going to be Dany.
Personal Scene: It is in the throne room with Ceseri sitting on the throne. Cue Dany ordering Dracarys as the dragon fills the joint up with flames and Dany walks to sit on the throne.

Dragon - Is going to die.

Dany - I say the chances are declining on her getting through this intact of even alive. IF she does survive, I would lay good odds that she is going to end up pregnant with Jon Snow's kid.

Jon Snow - Is going to die, they are putting in a lot of hype about him being a good king etc. Subverting expectations would result in him dying. An interesting way to do it would be for the Dragon to die / magic dying. This makes whatever brought him back to stop as well.

Jamie - Is going to die somehow related to Ceseri, he is either going to try and appeal to her and get smacked down or attempt to intervene when others try to kill her because she is pregnant... of course, I am still on the fence about her being pregnant. I can see this being a "closing" scene of them both dying together as brother and sister sort of thing.

Sansa becomes Queen of the North - This seems like a natural conclusion to her own story over the series. From naive girl to ruler of the North.

Euron - I expect his fleet is going to end up in flames from the Dragon as an act of revenge. I expect Euron is going to pick up on Tyrion's mention of the pregnancy and challenge Ceseri on it.

Yara - Will return to aid in demolishing Euron's fleet. High chance of death if she fights with Euron for yet another closing scene of a double death.

Varys - Varys will get caught trying to commit treason.

Overall, GRR Martin has an establish behaviour of killing characters at conclusions. Thus if they were true to his behaviour then you can except a lot of characters do be dying.
If you extend that to the stupid writing this season has been going through, I can see that being 'over-compensated' by either killing EVERYONE and dropping a complete outsider on the Throne or them trying to subvert expectations so much they make a complete fucking mess because it will keep everyone guessing.

Unlikely Theory - Kings Landing gets decimated to the point that Winterfell becomes the new capital of Westeros.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

If they subvert everything, they'll have a shit load of pissed off fans. Subversion is a tool, doesn't have to be on everything. They already subverted us with Arya/NK. I don't think they should subvert every other trope they've been building with for 8 years.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah. The problem with subversion is that if you overuse it, its stops being subversion, and becomes predictable.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Then expectations change, and then the producers have a whole new set of expectations to subvert.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yes, if you have some very creatively agile producers/directors/writers. Most aren't, though, and tend to keep "subverting" the same tropes, long after its become predictable.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-12 09:44pm Yeah. The problem with subversion is that if you overuse it, its stops being subversion, and becomes predictable.
And yet...
I feel like Game of Thrones has consistently landed in the realm of predictable, but in a blunt manner.

Euron goes out as just as much a juvenile asshole as he ever was. Jamie and Cersei were classic to their characters with zero growth in the end.

The Hound saved Arya, but he could have, a long time ago. Arya made it TO the finish line but let's see next week, I think her vulnerability as a young girl has been shown twice now, first with zombies, and again with fire panicked peasants.

That woman who tried to help her looked super familiar by the way.

So Dany went full murder, Greyworm, the Dothraki and the unsullied have her back, Jon could hardly control how own men ,na Greyworm saw it, so not only will Jon and Arya have a problem with Daenarys, but GW will probably accuse him of treason. Tyrion is in deep shit as well, I think Dany will delcare him a traitor but I also think he has lost all faith in her, so he might not have to. Ser Davos is in on it too.

I have a feeling Varys pulled one last betrayal. He got word out to someone I think, possibly many someone's.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Who? I'm pretty sure we're out of Westerosi armies at this point, except maybe Dorne, and who in Essos is going to care?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

That was good (actually above average for post season 6 GOT) right up until Dany changed her variable from

VALUE_OF_HUMAN_LIFE = 1
To
VALUE_OF_HUMAN_LIFE = 0

At the tolling of the bells.

I mean, the ram/dragon had touched the wall, but still.

My girl suggested that they killed the dragon last episode solely to cut down on CGI costs, which might have been true, given their justification for why Ghost got ignored.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I could have bought flying to and wrecking the Red Keep. But to go from “all I have is fear” into “burn everyone friend or foe”? At one point, she blasting fire within spitting distance of Grey Worm and Jon. So not even her own dudes are safe. Less so as the pillaging rages on and her soldiers are spread around the city.

Character assassination has finally completed. We’re at multiple episodes of Danny sitting on her hands to “burn them all.”
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Themightytom wrote: 2019-05-12 11:03pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-12 09:44pm Yeah. The problem with subversion is that if you overuse it, its stops being subversion, and becomes predictable.
And yet...
I feel like Game of Thrones has consistently landed in the realm of predictable, but in a blunt manner.
So by being unpredictable it becomes predictable?
And yet...
I think there have been quite a few surprises along the way.
Euron goes out as just as much a juvenile asshole as he ever was. Jamie and Cersei were classic to their characters with zero growth in the end.
I never understood this fetish for "character development". I mean, most people don't really change their ways. Euron was always an asshole and would die one. Jamie and Cersei were two incredibly fucked up people. Danerys is a psycho who wants to burn the village to save it -and always has been. Jon is a moron who gets bailed out time and again by writer fiat, including a do-over after he was stabbed (at least when Zeus picked up an exhausted Perseus in Clash of the Titans, Laurence Olivier played it with tongue in cheek). For every Sansa who goes from innocent child to shrewd young adult, there are several leopards who never change their spots. That's not a problem.
The Hound saved Arya, but he could have, a long time ago. Arya made it TO the finish line but let's see next week, I think her vulnerability as a young girl has been shown twice now, first with zombies, and again with fire panicked peasants.
Leet Ninja Skillz mean little when you're in the streets of a city being firebombed.
That woman who tried to help her looked super familiar by the way.
Yeah, I noticed that, too.
So Dany went full murder, Greyworm, the Dothraki and the unsullied have her back, Jon could hardly control how own men ,na Greyworm saw it, so not only will Jon and Arya have a problem with Daenarys, but GW will probably accuse him of treason. Tyrion is in deep shit as well, I think Dany will delcare him a traitor but I also think he has lost all faith in her, so he might not have to. Ser Davos is in on it too.
I liked the whole lack-of-control theme. The sacking of a city had never really been done well before in movies or TV, but this really nailed it. Not only did "savage" Dothrakis and fanatical Unsullied join in the massacre, but the regular dudes from the North piled on, too. It was like Homer's description of the sack of Troy, or first-hand accounts of Badajoz, with Drogon's Napalm strikes adding the exclamation point.

Tyrion is fucked, along with anyone caught trying to help him. Maybe Bronn and his crossbow will save the day...
I have a feeling Varys pulled one last betrayal. He got word out to someone I think, possibly many someone's.
Maybe Dorne, the Vale, or both. What I'm wondering is if he was trying to poison Danerys. His spy worked in the kitchen and said Danerys wasn't eating. He mentioned that she should try again at dinner. As physically ill as Danerys looked, she might have already been poisoned -or so worried she might be that she stopped eating.

I'm assuming Jamie and Cersei survived somehow, unless their bodies are shown onscreen.

All in all, a great episode.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

So, just saw the episode.

How do I feel about this?

I was thoroughly entertained. It was very intense, beautifully directed, edited, great acting, *mostly* good script (which is not the same as story) and a real kickass soundtrack.

However - they just didn't fully earn it. Dany's decision to sack King's Landing regardless of the surrender requires a lot more setup than they had done - and that's fully accepting that no, this didn't come out of nowhere, and there's been hints about this since pretty much Season 1 (Mirri Maz Duur did nothing wrong, fuck Khal Drogo he was a piece of shit who got what was coming to him, this is not a difficult moral question at all.)

You just need more time to get the audience to this place than what they had.

Did I like the episode though? I liked a lot of what it did. Showing the brutality of a sack is as far as I know unprecedeted in television history. It was truly horrific.

- Varys' death was powerful. Conleth Hill was great in the role.
- Emilia Clarke has been acting the shit out of the role all season.
- Tyrion and Jaime in the tent. A great scene let down by a single line:

"to be honest I've never really cared about the innocent etc."

Really? Then why'd you kill Aerys? What the fuck are you talking about? This was so flippant and nonchalant it's easy to consider it a cheap lie that he's telling, but why? A sloppy line that let down an otherwise good scene.

- Lena Headey was great as always. Loved the Hitler In the Bunker routine

- Arya and the Hound. Fucking great stuff.

- Qyburn's death was hilarious

God I don't know, I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Why did they give Arya a pale steed to complete her Death motif after spending a big chunk of the episode making her seem mortal again?
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I have to give Emilia Clarke huge props. That moment when she is on Drogon, the bell rings, and you just see her fucking snap was incredibly done.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Oh, I loved it how they elevated Cleganebowl over cheap fan service to bring a really nice ending to Arya and the Hound's relationship. And the editing of that fight with Arya's travails was fantastic.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Eight fucking seasons so they can make a last minute move to reduce Danny to a one-note fannon cliche of "Mad Queen". Even going out of their way to show her slaughtering civilians for no reason. Nobody said Stannis was mad for trying to storm King's Landing. Nobody said Jon was mad for trying to retake Winterfell. But Danny is a woman. I guess she should have known her place.

Now all the little incels can fap over how the show has validated that women are too emotional to be good rulers.

Fuck them and the dragon they road in on.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I think we all know what will happen now. Arya or Jon will kill Danny, and a more deserving penis will ascend to rule the Seven Kingdoms.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I refuse to recognize any episode after 8.3 as canon. That's the true end of the show. Everything else is just pandering.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Daenerys always struck me as pompous and self serving and I never for one second believed she actually wants to make Westeros a "better place". She's never been there and she has no idea who the people of Westeros are.
Of all the bullshit in this season this makes the most sense.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Yeah, I'm totally on-board with Dany going off the deep end, it is seemingly the curse of her family. I just wish they had developed it further in prior seasons.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Kane Starkiller wrote: 2019-05-13 10:41am Daenerys always struck me as pompous and self serving and I never for one second believed she actually wants to make Westeros a "better place". She's never been there and she has no idea who the people of Westeros are.
Of all the bullshit in this season this makes the most sense.
Danny started out as an innocent girl who had no ambition to rule. She became hardened by her experiences in the first two seasons- . She was arrogant, yes, because when you take a child, make it clear to them that no one can protect them but them, and then hand them a source of immense power that validates that they have a special birthright, that's a predictable response. But she also repeatedly showed a genuine commitment to protecting her people and ending slavery. She was never the one-note "Mad Queen" of fandumb, automatically destined to be insane and evil because of her blood, until the show made her so. Instead, in the span of two episodes they quickly contrived to erase all her positive characteristics, reduce her to a one-note, mostly for doing things male characters have done (like trying to storm King's Landing without being labeled mad), and then, just to ram the point home (because I doubt even they could sell killing a hostile army in this show as a sign of madness with a straight face) have her randomly slaughter thousands of civilians after the city has surrendered, with lots of heavy-handed shots dwelling on the slaughter and suffering of said civilians (I don't seem to recall the show dwelling on the horrors of war on civilians nearly as much when it was male characters inflicting them, or judging the perpetrators nearly as harshly). You could have shown Danny and Jon ending up tragically at odds in a way that felt natural to the characters, perhaps. This didn't feel natural- it felt ham-fisted as fuck.

Its derailment, and its pandering to a specific subset of the fandom- those who insist Danny is Aerys 2.0, which I have a strong impression tends to overlap with the section of the fandom who call Danny things like "entitled bitch" because she wants to rule.

Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-13 10:39am I refuse to recognize any episode after 8.3 as canon. That's the true end of the show. Everything else is just pandering.
This is the only episode based on GRRM’s writing, which is why it’s mostly above average.

It’s really weird that you’ve got such a bug up your ass about the creators being some kind of traditionalist
caricature when the past two seasons have been filled with ridiculous female power fantasies.