Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

Post by Elfdart »

Scrib wrote:
Mr Bean wrote: Also for long time watchers Larry Williams of OtakuAssemble announced his last GoT video would be the season finale as he's giving up on the show. .
Well, I'm pretty sure that he had the series spoiled for him so I can understand his apathy.

Are there any other fresh eyes reviewing? I'd love to see a reaction similar to his own when Ned Stark died.
This was just posted on TYT Whattheflickshow:

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Awesome, can't wait whattheflick tonight after work.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Jezebel/Game of Boners is also taking it pretty hard:

Oh My Fucking Old Gods: The Game of Thrones Ep That Destroyed Us All

I think what burns so many of the fans is not so much that Martin is willing to kill off characters, including favorites, it's that he (or the show's writers -I haven't read the books) seems to take perverse delight in humiliating and tormenting them first.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Well if it's any consolation, this being the spoilers thread, Cat gets better. Or a lot worse.

But yeah, people die, the story goes on. Lots more people, good and bad, to kill.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahriman238 wrote:Well if it's any consolation, this being the spoilers thread, Cat gets better. Or a lot worse.

But yeah, people die, the story goes on. Lots more people, good and bad, to kill.
It's one of the lesser lessons of the Red Wedding.
The Hero is right there, the problem is it's not who you think it is.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This one is awesome too:

:lol:
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

And who is the Hero? No, really.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Spekio wrote:And who is the Hero? No, really.
Spoiler
Azor Ahai, the hero who must rise to stop the coming of the long night as the Hero did long ago. Azor Ahai is the Song of Ice and Fire. The only question is which of the four is Azor Ahai, Melisandre is convinced it's Stannis Baratheon. Rhaegar believe it first himself then one of his offspring. The readers are convinced it's either John Snow or Daenerys.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Elfdart wrote:Jezebel/Game of Boners is also taking it pretty hard:

Oh My Fucking Old Gods: The Game of Thrones Ep That Destroyed Us All
A young pregnant woman being brutally murdered or a mother forced to watch her children die a violent death before dying a violent death of her own?" and I'm starting to feel taken advantage of as a viewer and fan.
My reaction:
I think what burns so many of the fans is not so much that Martin is willing to kill off characters, including favorites, it's that he (or the show's writers -I haven't read the books) seems to take perverse delight in humiliating and tormenting them first.
I have literally no sympathy. TV is meant to push buttons and draw reactions. This is Game of Thrones, lets not pretend that this shit is something beyond the pale.

That said, someone once had an incredible post that pretty much showed that Martin had pretty much never had a single major character have a happy ending. He'd always eventually sour it somehow. I've only ever read one other book of his and that also didn't end well so I do wonder about him...
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Lesson learned: If you are watching a show you really like with friends and one of them is giggling and trying to surreptitiously videotape your response, you're going to have a bad time.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I can't tell which is more pathetic here, people who are insecure about having actual drama in a story, or people who think the author is a sadist because he killed off a character they like.
Best care anywhere.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

Wait, they killed Jeyne in the show?

That's a really big change from the books considering that she is most likely alive and in hiding in the books, along with Robb's unborn heir. Makes me wonder if that thread isn't going to amount to much in the series.
This one is awesome too:
It's the "written and directed by T. Lannister" that really sells it. I generally liked Robb, but he totally had what happened to him coming. He wasn't ready to be a king yet.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I don't think he deserved to brutally massacred at a wedding feast, but he definitely did fuck up big time. He wasn't just breaking faith with Walder Frey when he married Talisa out of love - he was breaking faith with the banner-men who rose up to aid him against the Throne in a time of need, by undermining their cause for his own personal pleasure. It's sort of like how when Ned gave Cersei warning to satisfy his own need to offer mercy, he not only got himself killed, but he got his entire household (including Septa Mordane) of people from the North who depended on him slaughtered.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Psycho Killer 10 year old

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I don't think he deserved to brutally massacred at a wedding feast, but he definitely did fuck up big time. He wasn't just breaking faith with Walder Frey when he married Talisa out of love - he was breaking faith with the banner-men who rose up to aid him against the Throne in a time of need, by undermining their cause for his own personal pleasure. It's sort of like how when Ned gave Cersei warning to satisfy his own need to offer mercy, he not only got himself killed, but he got his entire household (including Septa Mordane) of people from the North who depended on him slaughtered.
You play with a hungry lion you're gonna get what's coming to you.

The only thing that really saves the Starks is that everyone else is just as selfish. Though often, not as foolish.
That's a really big change from the books considering that she is most likely alive and in hiding in the books, along with Robb's unborn heir. Makes me wonder if that thread isn't going to amount to much in the series.
I can't find confirmation but I've heard that Martin denied the Fake!Jeyne theory. This scene may even be hinting at that. If Jeyne carried Robb's heir and it was very important it probably would have been kept.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

I can't find confirmation but I've heard that Martin denied the Fake!Jeyne theory.
Fair enough. I based it mostly on the fact that Kat describes her with large hips when she sees her, yet when Jaime meets her he notes her having small ones. It is an odd conservation of detail; it makes me wonder if he had plans for it but then decided not to in the years he's had to think about it. Also wouldn't be the first time we've had a lying author, but the show's take does change that.
If Jeyne carried Robb's heir and it was very important it probably would have been kept.
True, though the show is supposed to be going a somewhat different direction from the books, which is supposed to pick up next season. Given the timescale I never imagined that it would be the most important thing, just an interesting mystery or something to turn up much later. I always imagined the real one would be picked up by zombie!Kat.
Though often, not as foolish.
This is why I dislike the Starks and like the Lannisters, who I also consider to be much better written characters. Ned and Robb were hopelessly foolish in their ideals.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

DarkArk wrote:
I can't find confirmation but I've heard that Martin denied the Fake!Jeyne theory.
Fair enough. I based it mostly on the fact that Kat describes her with large hips when she sees her, yet when Jaime meets her he notes her having small ones. It is an odd conservation of detail; it makes me wonder if he had plans for it but then decided not to in the years he's had to think about it. Also wouldn't be the first time we've had a lying author, but the show's take does change that.
He's fucked up before in the series, we have the first trans-gendered horse in the series due to him forgetting if it was a male or female between books (taken from his Authors @ Google interview IIRC, it's on You Tube) for example or getting character's eye colour wrong all the time.

He just sometimes fucks up.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Elfdart wrote:
Scrib wrote:
Mr Bean wrote: Also for long time watchers Larry Williams of OtakuAssemble announced his last GoT video would be the season finale as he's giving up on the show. .
Well, I'm pretty sure that he had the series spoiled for him so I can understand his apathy.

Are there any other fresh eyes reviewing? I'd love to see a reaction similar to his own when Ned Stark died.
This was just posted on TYT Whattheflickshow:

<snip YouTube>
One thing that universally pisses me off regarding all the TV reviews from non-book readers (and very, very minor spoiler following) is how little they notice Arya.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

CaptHawkeye wrote:I can't tell which is more pathetic here, people who are insecure about having actual drama in a story, or people who think the author is a sadist because he killed off a character they like.
There are people who seriously believe that? I've never heard it said in anything other than a joking way.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Hmmm Vlad Tepes "Dracula" vs. Bolton?

who can throw a nastier "Killer" party?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Consider their approach to Jamie and Theon's absences in the narrative i wonder if we're going to see Lady Stoneheart a lot earlier and a lot more frequently.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I am really getting annoyed at all the people on the Internet going hysterical over this episode. Hasn't it been well established that bad things happen to good people in this series? -_-
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Zinegata wrote:I am really getting annoyed at all the people on the Internet going hysterical over this episode. Hasn't it been well established that bad things happen to good people in this series? -_-
There's "Characters, even good guys can die" and "The good side gets butchered halfway through the series".

Here's an analogy for Star Wars:
Öbi Wan Kenobi dying" - shocking, especially for its time. (Seen as the hero).
Lando Calrissian shooting Chewbacca, Leia, Han and the droids in the back then burning their corpses into char in the middle of ESB = Riot.

(And to make the analogy even better - in the second scenario, "Azor Ahai / The Son of Suns / Luke Skywalker / The hero" would also still be alive :D)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Ralin wrote:
CaptHawkeye wrote:I can't tell which is more pathetic here, people who are insecure about having actual drama in a story, or people who think the author is a sadist because he killed off a character they like.
There are people who seriously believe that? I've never heard it said in anything other than a joking way.
Doesn't seem that way, see tons of "who can I root for now?" posts. Why do you need to have a single character or "side" to root for, this isn't a sports team or wrestling, why can't people take in the whole picture? No idea why people would want predictable safe shows.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Maisie Williams has the best reaction ever.

The accent's great, but the Marty Feldman eyes fucking killed it for me.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.