Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3: A Storm of Swords (No Spoilers

Post by Ralin »

Zixinus wrote:Regarding the "slave soldiers" scene, am I right that she was fed quite a few lines of bullshit (and I wonder whether they understood)? The nipple-cutting seemed to indicate that the soldiers were disciplined, but the baby-killing seems just stupid.
Spoiler
No, they really do that.
Spoiler
They also give them a puppy at the beginning of their training and make them kill it after a few years. Apparently that's usually harder for them.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Crown wrote: Basing it off one, ONE god damned scene, whereas people who pay attention know that she is a contender for the Iron Throne. And will also note that her last husband's body had yet to be even buried before she made arrangements to marry Joffery...
Whereas as your beliefs about the character have not ONE confirming scene. Her backroom romance intrigues are irrelevant, shit if they allow her the position enable the wellbeing of common people do you really think the peasants care who she's fucking?

But you are so stupid, your inability to keep a coherent argument or sting of thought is evidence to that fact.
You don't even have an argument. Not outside of the tired "HARD FACTS" shtick that i'm sure makes you feel really tough.
Best care anywhere.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Whereas as your beliefs about the character have not ONE confirming scene.
Err ... neither do yours. We saw what we saw, you interpreted to mean 'oh she so nice' I interpreted that while, yes the orphans were better off for her visit (duh), I sense cynicism based on all the other previous history. She's an opportunist, this was an opportunity, she took it.
CaptHawkeye wrote:Her backroom romance intrigues are irrelevant, shit if they allow her the position enable the wellbeing of common people do you really think the peasants care who she's fucking?
Oh good God. Are they irrelevant to the affect of she had on the orphans and their situation? Yes. Are they irrelevant in providing context to her character? Hell no!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

mind you, am I the ONLY one who saw that episode and thought ahh someone in westeroes has read The Prince....

heart of the people is the only fortress in deed.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

she has put herself needlessly at risk, even sullying her dress.
"I have others". That's a beautifully crafted line. Depending on how you read it, she's either displaying gallantry, ignoring of her handmaiden's ungenerous attempts to get her away from the unwashed masses.... or she's so priviledged that she genuinely just doesn't give a shit about her poor laundry maid or that she's ruined a very expensive dress.

As Bromhead says in Zulu "Oh, it's no trouble, ... I didn't offer to help you myself."
She quietly told the Sister to come to her about the Orphan's needs.
Again, wonderfully ambivalent. Is she genuinely being kind, or is she just making sure the actual mechanisms of her rule, the guards and courtiers, don't throw the Sister out of the castle? Or, Gods be kind, the poor woman doesn't approach the King?
The best part of Margeary's visit is the awkward conversation it caused at dinner that night. Joffrey is visibly confused by the idea of not being a bastard, and Cersei is immediately dismissive of it as weak and naive.
I loved it! Joffrey has a woman who he does not have absolute power over, who is sure of herself, and who clearly holds power. The little shit has no idea whether to cower or simper, and settles for sort of making a wierd grimacing smile. Amusing that here he's blunting Cersei's sniping as opposed to Cersei trying to blunt his cruelty.
Indeed, but Cersei is so stupid she stands there trying to "inform" Marg of how dangerous the city is because of a time they were almost killed by riot they started.
I'm sure she thought it was a wonderfully subtle threat. Like a gangster informing people how inflammable their properties look. I think poor Cersei is growing bored without someone like Tyrion or even Robert to fence with. I also wonder how much wine Cersei had drank.

I liked Jon's discussion with Mance. I had wondered what on earth he was going to say when someone asked him "Why are you joining us, exactly?". Jon's a little too sullen to be a good liar, so it would have had to be true, and he had to take a chance on what Mance's goals were, ie fighting the Walkers rather than killing anyone south and running away. You could see him thinking "I'm either going to be dead right, or just dead" Good to see Jon thinking, and taking a chance, rather than just plunging in.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:mind you, am I the ONLY one who saw that episode and thought ahh someone in westeroes has read The Prince....

heart of the people is the only fortress in deed.
Like I said before, a it would almost be a shocking twist if she did have some deep rooted concern for the poor. Is it a politically shrewd maneuver? Absolutely, but that doesn't necessarily require that she doesn't genuinely care about the orphans. In this case, it is both a smart play, and a morally just one. We have yet to see her truly be in a situation when those two don't coincide.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

It is also interesting to see how Joffrey interacts with Margery compared to Sansa. He seems almost... intimidated by her. In fact, he seems much less arrogant overall. I'm not sure if it was because he had his first taste of battle, and became aware just how close he was to defeat, Margery's influence, or a great combination of factors. Be interesting to see how that plays out.
No, he's just an opportunistic psychopath. Sansa was weak and he could bully her with ease. Margaery is sweet but she also carries herself with a certain poise, she's not vapid and easily fooled as Sansa (well, as Sansa used to be) and she has not only the strength of her family but her brother in the Kingsguard. Joffrey has simply never had a chance to build up any contempt for her. At some point I think he will though.
Like I said before, a it would almost be a shocking twist if she did have some deep rooted concern for the poor. Is it a politically shrewd maneuver? Absolutely, but that doesn't necessarily require that she doesn't genuinely care about the orphans. In this case, it is both a smart play, and a morally just one. We have yet to see her truly be in a situation when those two don't coincide.
Why would it be shocking? I find it odd that because someone does the things they need to do to rule they cannot at some point also be nice. People are weird like that.

Politically it's not a bad move but it's not really the most efficient way to move. You want the Julius Caesar method of winning public support. Spoiler
And that's exactly what Marg and the Tyrells did in the books, she had Tyrell men constantly delivering food to the people of the city, which makes more sense. It hits more people and the right ones. You don't just want orphans. To paraphrase Jay Landsman "You know why their orphans? BEcause they don't have a pot to piss in. You know why they don't have a pot to piss in? Because no one gives a shit". Unless it's aimed at the nuns or some other body interested in orphans it's not really a big move.

But hey, she might just be throwing everything at the wall and looking for the thing that sticks.

Most likely I think that it's the reality of TV. They have the actress and they don't want to waste a character moment by shoving it into Tyrion's dialogue so they show instead of telling.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

A couple of questions:

1) If Sam's only job was to tend the ravens, why was he out collecting frozen dung?

2) Why do troops who have been massacred still have their armor and their boots? I've noticed this in other shows (like Cadfael: One Corpse Too Many).
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

good questions, too.

if i had to guess

1) he thought he was helping, because he's big goon.

2) because they were massacred by soldiers who already have better equipment.

these aren't very good answers, but they come to mind.
Atia
Youngling

Post by Atia »

I’m pretty sure when he said that was Sam’s only job he meant only job when they are under attacked. He wasn’t expected to stab or shoot things or help with the wounded all he was supposed to do was send ravens with the message, “Were fucked,” back to the wall. When not being attacked however he was just like any other member of the group having to pick up dung, feed horses and do what all that little minutia of camp life in a frozen hell.

At least that's what I thought.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Basically that, yeah. Mormont explicitly says so in the book. It's obvious that Sam will be worse than useless in a fight, so he tells him that if shit goes down his job is to send word back to the Wall.

(I don't think that counts as a spoiler. Sorry if I'm wrong about that)
Spoiler
And that's one of the changes I'm not liking. This is supposed to be about the point where Sam starts to be heroic and capable. Showing him as incompetent even at the things he does know how to handle is not a good way of leading up to that.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

2) Why do troops who have been massacred still have their armor and their boots? I've noticed this in other shows (like Cadfael: One Corpse Too Many).
Its possible the Mountain left Harrenhal in such a hurry they didn't have time to loot the corpses. Its clear the writers are aware of it though, Hell, in Season 2 remember in Episode 4 after Oxcross we see northeners looting Lannister dead.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Judging from the clips shown on HBO this week, it appears Danerys will use her baby dragon to burn the slave trader who repeatedly insulted her. She's wearing the same bright blue dress when the napalm dragon strike appears in the background. It also appears that Jon and Ygritte will go at it in a jacuzzi. The Wildlings have hot tubs?

And Diana Rigg will meet Charles Dance. Her dress and delivery is too close to Katherine Hepburn's Queen Eleanor, as are her lines. Martin must have watched The Lion In Winter as well as Dragonslayer.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Twenty minutes in on GO: The Podrick Brick Joke continues? Amusing.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Hands down (heh) the best episode so far this season, and one of the best of the series.

Keeping up the Pod joke was funny this one time, but I hope it doesn't keep coming back.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Also, Olenna is the shit. She made the episode.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I love Pod. Damn shame the Lord Commander is dead though.

So how's Daenerys planning on feeding 8,000 men?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I love Pod. Damn shame the Lord Commander is dead though.

Forage and plunder, possibly.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I love Pod. Damn shame the Lord Commander is dead though.

The slave masters must have had food supplies and equipment to feed and house the men to begin with. I'm sure all things of value were taken following their over-throw. Additional supplies could no doubt be purchased/taken from the city itself. That should do for starters.

Beyond that, yeah plunder and forage as Vympel said.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I really wanted to take more satisfaction from Craster's death. He was the character I most wanted to see die, but the guys who mutinied are a vile bunch in their own right (the worthless fat guy who keeps calling Sam a worthless fat guy, and the creepy looking dude who stabbed the old daughterfucker in the throat -I've seen that actor before but where?- especially).

I almost feel sorry for Jamie, losing his hand and all. My girlfriend has no sympathy for him whatsoever (clapping and laughing when it happened), and said getting his hand cut off will teach him not to push kids out of windows.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Elfdart wrote:I really wanted to take more satisfaction from Craster's death. He was the character I most wanted to see die, but the guys who mutinied are a vile bunch in their own right (the worthless fat guy who keeps calling Sam a worthless fat guy, and the creepy looking dude who stabbed the old daughterfucker in the throat -I've seen that actor before but where?- especially).

I almost feel sorry for Jamie, losing his hand and all. My girlfriend has no sympathy for him whatsoever (clapping and laughing when it happened), and said getting his hand cut off will teach him not to push kids out of windows.
The guy who killed Crastor played Owen on Torchwood and the VP of Dagget Industries in The Dark Knight Rises.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Oh, he's Stryver! I knew I'd seen him before somewhere.

That was a very satisfying episode. Slavery bad. That said, surely that's happened before? Surely someone has bought their slave soldiers and immediately told them to kill their masters? You'd think they'd be wise to that.
A man rich enough could lay siege to the city just by buying up their army, though I suppose they don't *have* to sell.

I'm not sure how I feel about that little bastard's "betrayal" of Theon. Surely the truth will come out during torture? I suppose Theon wouldn't recognise the fort he was taken to as he was bagged when they took him.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I love Pod. Damn shame the Lord Commander is dead though.

I doubt the Unsullied were brought to existence without some manner of built in logistics. Daenerys didn't raze Astapor, so she can use it as a supply base.
Best care anywhere.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Elfdart wrote:Judging from the clips shown on HBO this week, it appears Danerys will use her baby dragon to burn the slave trader who repeatedly insulted her. She's wearing the same bright blue dress when the napalm dragon strike appears in the background. It also appears that Jon and Ygritte will go at it in a jacuzzi. The Wildlings have hot tubs?

And Diana Rigg will meet Charles Dance. Her dress and delivery is too close to Katherine Hepburn's Queen Eleanor, as are her lines. Martin must have watched The Lion In Winter as well as Dragonslayer.
This is what you decide to put in the "no spoilers" thread???
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Spoonist wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Judging from the clips shown on HBO this week, it appears Danerys will use her baby dragon to burn the slave trader who repeatedly insulted her. She's wearing the same bright blue dress when the napalm dragon strike appears in the background. It also appears that Jon and Ygritte will go at it in a jacuzzi. The Wildlings have hot tubs?

This is what you decide to put in the "no spoilers" thread???
It's not exactly a spoiler if it's shown in the previews on HBO. As it turns out, some of the clips must have been from future episodes since they didn't appear Sunday night.