"Game of Thrones" on HBO (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: "Game of Thrones" on HBO (spoilers)

Post by Thanas »

Just because they supported Renly does not mean that they will support Daenerys. The Iron Islands are worthless in the field. I really do not see how you can arrive at the 100.000 men.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:Just because they supported Renly does not mean that they will support Daenerys. The Iron Islands are worthless in the field. I really do not see how you can arrive at the 100.000 men.
The simple fact the supported Renly makes my point for me, they are ambitious and they are powerful, backing the crown against the foreign invaders wins them nothing, backing the foreign invaders against the Usurper wins them much. Mace Tyrell has always dreamed of his blood becoming royal and marrying Willas or Garlan Tyrell to Dany gets that in one stroke.

By all the laws of the land Renly was not the rightful king, the younger brother, don't discount personal motivations because Mace would have backed Dany in a heartbeat. He wanted a grandson or granddaughter of his on the Throne and he was quite willing to back any plot that achieved that purpose for him.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Mr Bean wrote:The simple fact the supported Renly makes my point for me,
No, it doesn't. Renly had personal support as well as his own house to call upon. Daenerys comes from a different dynasty, doesn't have the benefits of the Starks/Tully's waging their own war etc.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Mr Bean wrote:
Thanas wrote:Just because they supported Renly does not mean that they will support Daenerys. The Iron Islands are worthless in the field. I really do not see how you can arrive at the 100.000 men.
The simple fact the supported Renly makes my point for me, they are ambitious and they are powerful, backing the crown against the foreign invaders wins them nothing, backing the foreign invaders against the Usurper wins them much. Mace Tyrell has always dreamed of his blood becoming royal and marrying Willas or Garlan Tyrell to Dany gets that in one stroke.
It'd have to be Willas or Loras.

Garlan was already married and was one of the nicer characters. Though we saw very little of him, he was supportive of Sansa and Tyrion.

On the other hand if the Martells flocked to Dany. Highgarden most certainly won't.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Crazedwraith wrote:Garlan was already married and was one of the nicer characters. Though we saw very little of him, he was supportive of Sansa and Tyrion.

On the other hand if the Martells flocked to Dany. Highgarden most certainly won't.
Spoiler
Garlan seemed like a nice guy (and a bad-ass, considering his stunt in Renly's armor, and his whole "training by fighting against four or more men" situation), but he might have been involved in the Tyrell assassination of Joffrey. Of course, that could have just been Margaery and Olenna - we don't know how many Tyrells were involved.

As for Highgarden and the Tyrells, their grudge isn't against the Martells in general - it was against Oberyn Martell, who crippled Willas Tyrell in a tourney. Mace Tyrell didn't have any problems with Doran Martell coming north to the King's Landing in A Storm of Swords, and the Tyrells and Martells both fought for Aerys in the War of the Usurper.

The Tyrells are a bit of a wild card, though. They're clearly rather opportunistic, but they also willingly backed a usurper against Joffrey (Renly) in the absence of other allies from the Great Houses, and only came around to the Lannister side after Littlefinger sold them on the marriage alliance to Joffrey. Mace really wants his daughter to be a queen.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Spoiler
I got the impression the deal of Oberyn was only the latest incident in a long history of enmity between the two areas.

Mace Tyrell was actually quite huffy when they thought it was Doran coming. If I recall he has a line a long the lines of; 'How's he's getting here then? No-one's asked to come over MY LANDs. I have no problem with him coming over the reach as long he asks permission first!' Which in politician speak for 'I hate his guts'.

Of course you're right, Garlan may only seem like a nice guy owing to his distinct lack of focus and screen time.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Spoiler
I'm pretty sure he continued with something like, "Well, if it's just Doran, it's okay".

There is definitely some bad history between the Reach and Dorne (before the Seven Kingdoms were unified, they fought back and forth), but it doesn't keep them from being on the same side.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:The simple fact the supported Renly makes my point for me,
No, it doesn't. Renly had personal support as well as his own house to call upon. Daenerys comes from a different dynasty, doesn't have the benefits of the Starks/Tully's waging their own war etc.
They became Rebels the instant they declared for Renly, remember Renly thought Joff was the legitimate heir, he was not part of Stannis and Jon Arryans councils on the subject and Ned Stark never told him.

What do you think is going to happen when Doran declares for her? Your talking with absolute knowledge of an omniscient narrator, something you should not be claiming considering both Robert and Daenerys thought they could pull it off. Know who else thought they could pull it off? Doren Martell and Varys both thought they could pull it off. If in universe everyone thinks they would be a highly serious threat who are you to disregard all of these statements for a curt dismissal of their chances. You speak of Renly's personal support, the Stormlands are worth as much as Sunspear and it's vassal lords. Never mind the fact that oh Spoiler
Her future Spymaster is running her enemies intelligence network, Varys entire purpose is orchestrate a return of the Targaryen to power and he's in charge of them spy network! Think of the advantages if the head of your local CIA/KGB is working for the enemy and you have no clue.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

The books do a more reasonable job of explaining why the Dothraki were a threat to the Seven Kingdoms (page 388 of my copy of Game of Thrones) ; it was largely a morale issue. Whereas most of the crown's armies would just be peasant levies, with no more than a tenth being knights, all 40,000 Dothraki in the khalasar were trained warriors from infancy, and because of this disparity it was expected that most of the crown's men, aside from professional soldiers and knights, would break and run on the first charge by 40,000 mounted savages with an unmatched reputation for fierceness. On the other hand, Dothraki are 'utterly fearless', and we know from the battle of Qohor that Dothraki are capable of sustaining enormous casualties without losing coherence or routing. If you combine this with the fact that the Dothraki would be led by a legitimate heir to the Iron Throne, it makes by far the most sense to me of any explanation for a Dothraki victory.

The book also mentioned that Dothraki bows had much longer range than Westerosi equivalents, and that the average Dothraki was a better horseman than almost any knight, but it would seem to me that these advantages pale in the face of the fact that the Dothraki disdain armour and thrusting weapons.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Mr Bean wrote:Spoiler
Her future Spymaster is running her enemies intelligence network, Varys entire purpose is orchestrate a return of the Targaryen to power and he's in charge of them spy network! Think of the advantages if the head of your local CIA/KGB is working for the enemy and you have no clue.
WTF? Where is this in the books, especially given that Varys orchestrated her assassination attempt at Robert's behest?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Surlethe wrote: WTF? Where is this in the books, especially given that Varys orchestrated her assassination attempt at Robert's behest?
He was shown collaborating with Illyrio several episodes ago, and Spoiler
Varys had Tyrion sent to Illyrio to counsel Dany after he escaped from the black cells.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Surlethe wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Spoiler
WTF? Where is this in the books, especially given that Varys orchestrated her assassination attempt at Robert's behest?
Spoiler time Spoiler
In the books Varys and Littlefinger managed to talk the King down from using Faceless men who are pretty much a sure if expensive thing as far as Assassins go and the attack was clumsy enough and He warned Jorah of who was going to be doing it that the initial failed assassination attempt would put the target on their guard. Further Varys served the Aerys well and did his best to serve him. The books are not specific on WHY Illerio is supporting the Targs but it is specific in that he is supporting them whole heartily and has gone through several very expensive steps to ensure her survival. Varys is a Targ loyalist, why who knows? But we know he is one.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Spoiler
Or at least pretends to be one. Who knows his endgame?
------------
------------
My LPs
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I thought the big deal with the Dothraki was also that they're all consummate horse-archers, and so you'd be facing a host of 40,000 mounted troops versus armies where about 10% of them are mounted.

A sort of 'mongolian invasion model' if you will.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I thought the big deal with the Dothraki was also that they're all consummate horse-archers, and so you'd be facing a host of 40,000 mounted troops versus armies where about 10% of them are mounted.

With said mounted troops excelling at terror tactics (Dothraki screamers, the bells..), which would make dogmeat out of conscripted peasant levies.
Whether a knight can beat a Dothraki warrior on foot is irrelevant, considering that knights (hedge knights included) make up a tiny proportion of the armies, (not to mention that a knight on horseback would probably be cut down at range by a Dothraki riding away on horseback. Depending on the penetrative power of the bows, and whether the knight's horses have barding).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I thought the big deal with the Dothraki was also that they're all consummate horse-archers, and so you'd be facing a host of 40,000 mounted troops versus armies where about 10% of them are mounted.

Which failed in real life.

Also, the mongols had:
- disciplined corps with professional officers/organization
- siege trains
- Signals that allowed them to redirect their forces at will
- A lot of footmen to back them up
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:Spoiler
Or at least pretends to be one. Who knows his endgame?
Well... Spoiler
The endgame is not him as King we know that for sure, beyond that we only have his actions to go by, the ones he takes openly and the ones he takes in secret we know about from reading the shadows on the wall. His secret actions are of a Targ loyalist, his open actions are to support the realm, the best view we get of him is helping free Tyrion because several things don't add up on when he was "forced" to help him escape by Jamie.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Spoiler
While also arranging for the murder of the Lannister's best strategist and strongest obstacle to a Targaeryen return on the way. Yeah, I know.

However, I cannot help but shake the feeling that there is something more at play than "help Targaeryens"
------------
------------
My LPs
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Thanks for the reminders, guys.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:Spoiler
While also arranging for the murder of the Lannister's best strategist and strongest obstacle to a Targaeryen return on the way. Yeah, I know.

However, I cannot help but shake the feeling that there is something more at play than "help Targaeryens"
Everyone suspects that, but people also suspect lots of things because George is that kind of person Spoiler
There are the easy to confirm things that say for example that Jaqen H'ghar becomes "The Alchemist" in Clash of kings and then in Feast for Crows we see his new form who then murders and assumes the identity of Pate a novice of the citadel. If you don't pay attention such things slip by but the description of "The Alchemist" in Feast of Crows is identical to the man Jaqen turns himself into before leaving Arya behind, then later we see Mr Pate die only to see him alive at the end of the book.

Of course the speculation then comes into play that Jaqen is in fact Syrio but that's just a fan theory at this point (Which George loves but he's always been chagy about saying what happen to Syrio and refuses to say if he's alive or dead, most likely he's dead but George sometimes hears fan theory's he likes and hen sets out to reinforce them.

Varys falls into the same camp, and there are some CRAZY theorys about him, come to think of it I'm going to go see what the lastest fan theories are

Stargate Nerd
Padawan Learner

Post by Stargate Nerd »

The Dothraki are nothing like the Mongols. The Mongols made use of lances, maces, siege weapons and armor in addition to bows and slashing weapons. They had better discipline than European armies as well.

The Dothraki at best fit the Mongol stereotype of a mindless nomad horde which onlt is threatening because of it's sheer size.
Thanas wrote:
Which failed in real life.

p
What do you mean by that ?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Mongol invasion failed both in Europe and in the Middle East. Isn't that clear enough?
------------
------------
My LPs
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I was under the impression that was more due to political reasons/infighting between the descendants of Genghis. They did manage to sack Baghdad and crush the Russians for a time after all.

EDIT: In reply to Thanas. +What StargateNerd said.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

How much more killing of horses and dogs goes on in these books? That last episode was the second time I had to sleep on the couch for snickering when an animal was killed in this show (the first was when the idiot daughter's dire wolf puppy was stabbed). My SO was more upset over the dead horse than the dead Spoiler
Sean Bean