[Spoilers] First Image of neoKirk's Dad as THOR!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

[Spoilers] First Image of neoKirk's Dad as THOR!

Post by Old Plympto »

I see they're going to go with Olivier Coipel's newer costume design instead of the sleeveless classic costume.

The plastic-like material used for the costume felt iffy at first, but I think the filmmakers did say they were going to consider the Asgardians as advanced aliens from another universe without specifically pointing it out in the movie... or some such. So the final look and feel of the movie will probably make or break it.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: [Spoilers] First Image of neoKirk's Dad as THOR!

Post by Crazedwraith »

Gah. I was hoping they'd go with the ultimate version; where its more ambiguous as regards to his actual divinity. Rather than have out and out gods and such.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Considering the massive chance that this could look or be cheesy so far I have to say the picture looks good, he looks decent as Thor and I think the sleeves thing is fine. You can't pull off the ridiculous amount of muscles and definition that Thor has in the comics with a normal actor. No one can look that defined, chiseled and powerful without losing a lot in terms of acting ability. The sleeves allow them to make him look powerful without pulling in some part time body builder to play Thor. I would much prefer someone that can act the part well than someone that just looks it.

Asgardians as interdimensional aliens? At first it made me wrinkle my nose but if they manage to portray it as these aliens posed as the norse gods way back when then I am totally sold.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Crazedwraith wrote:Gah. I was hoping they'd go with the ultimate version; where its more ambiguous as regards to his actual divinity. Rather than have out and out gods and such.
That makes it hard to have a Thor movie before The Avengers. Unless it may or may not be a hallucination.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The way I see things, it looks more like they'll be going with classic over ultimate, but try and use the best of both.

Hell, the plot ruminations of the Avengers film seems like a retread of the very first Avengers tale (IE: Loki tricks Hulk into being Hulk, Thor, Iron-Man, etc. Team Up to calm him down and stop Loki).
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

So Einhander Snoman finally got a haircut and trimmed his beared. Great shape for him as well. But the suit, come one, couldn't you come up with something better.
:twisted: :luv: :twisted:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, he looks better than SG1's Thor ;)

I like the look of the suit. I like what we can see of the face. If he's really an alien, I can live with that (see SG1).
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I didn't even know they were doing a Thor movie. :shock:

wiki has a bit more info. Consider me interested, albeit not sold yet. But if its anything like Iron Man or Spiderman it should be good.

FOR ODIN, FOR ASGARD.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kenneth Braughan is the director? :wtf:

......... Ok, I'm interested.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

LadyTevar wrote:Kenneth Braughan is the director? :wtf:

......... Ok, I'm interested.
Yeah... I like Thor, but I didn't think a movie version would work until I heard Branagh was directing it. Even his not-so-good movies (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, anyone?) are interesting, to say the least. Some of the casting is pretty solid, too (Rene Russo as Freya, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Idris Elba as Heimdall).
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Given that Spoiler
SHIELD is now in possession of Mjolnir as of the end of Iron Man 2
I'm quite curious to see how they work out Thor getting it back.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

White Haven wrote:Given that Spoiler
Well you could have Thor calling out for his hammer and it escapes SHIELD's laboratory. Its not like he hasn't done it before, although sometimes he doesn't even try it so it depends on the writer.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Or they give it to Norway and Norway includes it in their super soldier program, and said super soldier breaks out with it and claims to be the son of Odin!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I like that they went with the Oliver Copiel re-design; I never liked Thor's original look.
LadyTevar wrote:Well, he looks better than SG1's Thor ;)
That's Supreme Commander Thor, thank you very much. :) :wink: 8)
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

There was a leaked photo of the Destroyer, which looks very faithful to the comics, on Latinoreview.com last week - but it's been pulled. So, that's two comic villains in the movie including Loki.

Edit: A quick GIS brings this up.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

White Haven wrote:Given that Spoiler
Spoiler
Well, the hammer can't even be lifted unless you're deemed 'worthy', so I think it's a bit premature to think SHIELD has possession of it yet. They may just have it cordoned off, to make sure no one else gets to it.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

Spoiler
I'm guessing that the movie will involve some sort of incident where a Doctor Blake is chased into the hammer, picks it up and becomes Thor. In the original it was in a cave in Norway, now a crater in New Mexico.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

The reactions elsewhere seem to be cautiously optimistic as well - I am wondering if they'll do something to the suit in post-processing to make it look more impressive. But for now, I like the look of it.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Maybe its because im not as familiar with the current backstory.. But am I the only one who thought "Thors" armor should look more like something a Norsemen might ware 1000 years ago and not, you know, molded plastic and rubber?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Maybe its because im not as familiar with the current backstory.. But am I the only one who thought "Thors" armor should look more like something a Norsemen might ware 1000 years ago and not, you know, molded plastic and rubber?
He's not a time traveller, so there's nothing to stop him updating his attire as time goes by.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I'm hopeful, this movie has the potential of being the most awesomely metal movie we've had in decades, and that's a nice change of pace.

As for the nature of the Norse Gods, I hope they leave it out as ambiguous, nothing ruins good mythology as an explanation.
unsigned
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Maybe its because im not as familiar with the current backstory.. But am I the only one who thought "Thors" armor should look more like something a Norsemen might ware 1000 years ago and not, you know, molded plastic and rubber?
Marvel's Thor has almost always looked more like a superhero than a Norse god in how he has been depicted. There was a fill-in "Thor" named Red Norvell who would probably look more like the mythological Thor than any of the variants of Marvel's standard Thor.

Normally Thor doesn't even have the beard so that's different, and his hair seems a bit shorter from what I can see in the photo. Also, while the costume design does resemble what Thor is currently wearing in the comics it's not exact since the sleeves and pant legs of the comic version appear to be some sort of mail and not quilted fabric.

I am curious about what his helmet (if any) will look like as well as what they went with for the look of Mjolnir. The classic Thor helmet is a bit much with giant wings on it so I'm assuming that if this Thor even wears a helmet it will look more like the one he has with been wearing recently.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*sigh* I hope he goes without the helm, or it is something less comic and more historical.

Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Old Plympto wrote:There was a leaked photo of the Destroyer, which looks very faithful to the comics, on Latinoreview.com last week - but it's been pulled. So, that's two comic villains in the movie including Loki.

Edit: A quick GIS brings this up.
Well according to wiki there are 3 additional actors who have all been cast as villians, with the Destroyer named as one, I'd lay odds on Absorbing Man and Wrecker being the other two.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

LadyTevar wrote:*sigh* I hope he goes without the helm, or it is something less comic and more historical.
Hey, don't knock the helm! I quite like the look of the most recent design.
I know it is a forlorn hope, but I can't stop wishing for a cameo by Beta Ray Bill.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.