The Silver Surfer versus Superman...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Drowsong
Redshirt

Post by Drowsong »

Stark wrote:Are you serious? You quote the Marvel Handbook and then come back with 'lol strutural strength'? :lol: Superman Returns, if nothing else, shows that Superman has vast reserves of strength he doesn't use (or his loltastic TK field isn't strong enough somehow). He struggled to stop a plane in full sunlight, but then after getting assraped can lift a giant asteroid into space, after all.
I quote the Marvel Handbook, not knowing what its credibility was in this forum (or in general). I've already admitted to that. My mistake there.

I still don't understand why, honestly. Is is just that they wank everything out to ridiculous proportions? Honestly, I just came across it within the past few weeks, so it's still new to me.
Stark wrote:He was also defeated by Black Panther and put in an arm-lock. Whoo, he's fucking scary. To my knowledge, the SS is also really stupid (plot-wise) and won't have the usual 'not a retard' advantage people usually get over Superman.
OK, so it's becoming glaringly obvious to me now that Superman would probably beat SS, based on most of the people who've posted in this thread.
...I'm new here.

Piece by piece, I build my temple...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310 ... ernets.gif
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

Ghost Rider wrote:
une wrote:
Sidewinder wrote: Has the Silver Surfer ever used such a tactic against an enemy in the comics?
I can't remember him ever turning anyone into an apple, but has used his matter altering powers quite frequently in the comics. He's turned tons of rock in vapor, turned food into pure energy, repaired destroyed machinery, etc. I think the most impressive time was when he used his matter control powers to eliminate a disease that was plaquing the galaxy. There is a scan of it online, it can be found here
Which brings us back to the multitude of events that he didn't do this, and only does it when the story is allowing him to do so. So really saying he'll automatically do this to Superman is the same bullshit leap of logic, that Superman will go for sun bursting punch and kill surfer for the win!!! :roll:
Better yet, why didn't he do it against Black Panther when the black badass used the kung fun grip on his shiny silery whitey butt?
He probably didn't want to hurt the Black Panther. Besides, it's not like he had any trouble breaking out of that hold anyway, from what I remember he casually breaks out of that hold pretty quickly.
Which all comes back to a staggeringly low level incident of piss poor power.

This would be Lex kung fu gripping Superman.

All this brings us back in your assumption of "Surfer will turn Superman into Appl3!!!". Amazing that anytime Surfer encounters a threat of any level that can do him considerable harm....he doesn't just fall back onto this option.
Comic books are written by people who either don't know about all of a characters abilities, or who don't want to use them in order to make the story more interesting. That's why the Surfer doesn't turn his enemies into apples in every fight. It's the same reason why the Flash doesn't beat 90% of his enemies in the first second they've been fighting. It's just bad, lazy writing. But poor writing doesn't change the fact that it is within his established power set and that by all rights he should be able to do it.

If you don't like the apple example, how about the Surfer just absorbs the solar energy in Superman leaving him powerless? He's absorbed the Gamma energy in the Hulk before, reverting him back to Bruce Banner, so it's really not a stretch to say that he could do that same to Superman.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

une wrote:If you don't like the apple example, how about the Surfer just absorbs the solar energy in Superman leaving him powerless? He's absorbed the Gamma energy in the Hulk before, reverting him back to Bruce Banner, so it's really not a stretch to say that he could do that same to Superman.
Besides the Hulk, did the Silver Surfer use the energy absorption trick on other enemies? If he's as powerful as you say, how did the Silver Surfer end up as Doctor Doom's bitch in the 'Reborn' series? (Bad writing is no excuse; the Silver Surfer should've been able to neutralize whatever the hell Doom used to capture him, e.g., absorb the energy in force fields or transform nets into mist.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

Sidewinder wrote:
une wrote:If you don't like the apple example, how about the Surfer just absorbs the solar energy in Superman leaving him powerless? He's absorbed the Gamma energy in the Hulk before, reverting him back to Bruce Banner, so it's really not a stretch to say that he could do that same to Superman.
Besides the Hulk, did the Silver Surfer use the energy absorption trick on other enemies? If he's as powerful as you say, how did the Silver Surfer end up as Doctor Doom's bitch in the 'Reborn' series? (Bad writing is no excuse; the Silver Surfer should've been able to neutralize whatever the hell Doom used to capture him, e.g., absorb the energy in force fields or transform nets into mist.)
I don't know the story you're talking about. Are you talking about Heroes Reborn?

Usually when Doctor Doom fights the Surfer he uses a combination of super-tech and cunning to defeat the Surfer. Like when they first met each other and Doom tricked the Surfer into thinking he was a good guy, and then stole his powers. That's really standard super villain stuff.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Drowsong wrote:I quote the Marvel Handbook, not knowing what its credibility was in this forum (or in general). I've already admitted to that. My mistake there.
My point was that you quoted a book full of silly comicbook insanity and then said 'lol strong dudes can't lift ships cause they'd collapse etc', which we all know and is covered by silly comicbook insanity. :)

The Silver Surfer is one of those guys that we're INFORMED is really powerful (with his lol power cosmic), but doesn't seem to really do that well in practice.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

une wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:
I don't know the story you're talking about. Are you talking about Heroes Reborn?
Yes, I am.
Like when they first met each other and Doom tricked the Surfer into thinking he was a good guy, and then stole his powers. That's really standard super villain stuff.
If this is true, then the Silver Surfer is a damn pathetic hero for being gullible enough to fall for Doom's trick, and having such poor control over his powers that someone else can steal his powers.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

Sidewinder wrote:
une wrote:
Sidewinder wrote: Besides the Hulk, did the Silver Surfer use the energy absorption trick on other enemies? If he's as powerful as you say, how did the Silver Surfer end up as Doctor Doom's bitch in the 'Reborn' series? (Bad writing is no excuse; the Silver Surfer should've been able to neutralize whatever the hell Doom used to capture him, e.g., absorb the energy in force fields or transform nets into mist.)
Yes, I am.
Like when they first met each other and Doom tricked the Surfer into thinking he was a good guy, and then stole his powers. That's really standard super villain stuff.
If this is true, then the Silver Surfer is a damn pathetic hero for being gullible enough to fall for Doom's trick, and having such poor control over his powers that someone else can steal his powers.
Heroes Reborn Surfer wasn't the real Silver Surfer. The Silver Surfer was never shunted into the little alternate Earth that Franklin Richard created.

The Surfer was undeniably gullible when he first met Dr. Doom. That was during the period of time when he first came to Earth and knew nothing of humanity and was always amazed at the evil man was capable of. He wasn't gullible, he was more naive than anything else. He's grown out of that though.

How does Dr. Doom, the second smartest man on Marvel Earth and who's a master of making comic book super tech, being able to create a device to drain his powers mean that the Surfer has "poor control" over his powers? How would him being able to expertly control his powers, that he already can by the way, prevent someone from using a device specially designed to harm him?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

une wrote:<snip>
If you don't like the apple example, how about the Surfer just absorbs the solar energy in Superman leaving him powerless? He's absorbed the Gamma energy in the Hulk before, reverting him back to Bruce Banner, so it's really not a stretch to say that he could do that same to Superman.
Except how much energy can SS absorb? For all we know, Supes has more solar energy in him than SS can absorb. But let's say he could drain Supes of his solar energy what happens then? Supes just stands there in broad daylight and in seconds recharges himself and lays a smackdown on SS.

But the above scenario is rediculous since how would SS know that Supes need yellow sun energy?

Anyways, the SS vs. Supes fight would probably not happen if SS is open to reason. If he's there for the same reason in FF2 then Supes would try to stop him and succeed. Aftwards Supes will have to deal with Galactus. Could movie Supes deal with movie Galactus?

Batman --- Big Blue Boyscout, not Schoolboy. This would be in the same league of calling yourself the Great Defective. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Sidewinder wrote:If this is true, then the Silver Surfer is a damn pathetic hero for being gullible enough to fall for Doom's trick, and having such poor control over his powers that someone else can steal his powers.
Well just to make a point, his powers are not his own. At any time Galactus could just up and take them back. If Doom could figure out the method the Big G uses to empower his Heralds, then he could conceivably depower all of them. In one of alt future comics, I know that SS absorbs the Power Cosmic from other Heralds due to his superior knowledge and level or proficiency with it despite having a smaller portion of the Power Cosmic as compared to the Herald he stole it from.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Wasn't the Surfer making a bunch of really big holes in the earth, or am I misremembering the movie? If so, maybe we can get some kind of quantification on the volume of the holes made and calculate a lower bound on his TK?
Jason B. Romano
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Jason wrote:Wasn't the Surfer making a bunch of really big holes in the earth, or am I misremembering the movie? If so, maybe we can get some kind of quantification on the volume of the holes made and calculate a lower bound on his TK?
yes, but how he was making them is another question though. After all, think about the areas he visited and made the holes, everything in the vicinity froze. Why? I don't recall that being explained other than the magic of the "power cosmic"
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

But don't you know, the Surfer has planet busting ability.

See, Champion destroyed a planet while fighting Thanos (never mind that it was aided by the power gem and that it was by a freak chain reaction, which most probably is explained by some nature of the alien planet itself). And the Surfer beat Champion in a fight.

And see, the Surfer and some other cosmic dude had a big fight, and they destroyed a planet, blah blah blah, surfer wank wah wah wah.

Just thought I should familiarise the board with the SS wank arguments you hear on some other boards.. cough SB.com cough.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I thought I was relatively clear in the OP that this matchup was supposed to deal solely with the movie portrayal of said characters, not their comic book counterparts...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Enigma wrote: Batman --- Big Blue Boyscout, not Schoolboy. This would be in the same league of calling yourself the Great Defective. :)
Bzzt-wrong. It's the Big Blue Schoolboy, the Boy Scout, and apparently VERY occasionally a combination of the two.
And not only is Bubble Boy right but given the nature of superhero comics sticking to the movies at least actually gives us a chance to at least approximately quantify their relative feats.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Batman wrote:
Enigma wrote: Batman --- Big Blue Boyscout, not Schoolboy. This would be in the same league of calling yourself the Great Defective. :)
Bzzt-wrong. It's the Big Blue Schoolboy, the Boy Scout, and apparently VERY occasionally a combination of the two.
And not only is Bubble Boy right but given the nature of superhero comics sticking to the movies at least actually gives us a chance to at least approximately quantify their relative feats.
Oopsie. I did some checking and he's been called either one.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!