Sinestro Corps....*spoiler alert*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jason wrote:Would you recommend the other Johns Green Lantern trade paperbacks in addition to Rebirth? I think there are 3 that cover GL continuity post-Rebirth.
The three are No Fear, Revenge of the Green Lanterns, and Wanted: Hal Jordan. They're good. A little too much Jordan wanking in the first couple of issues, but it's still good fun. Plus, of course, you get great artwork from some of the industry's finest: Darwyn Cooke, Carlos Pachecho, Simone Bianchi, Ethan van Sciver, Ivan Reis, and Daniel Acuna.
Saint
Redshirt

Post by Saint »

Johns had to work hard to sell Jordan in those first issues, so I think Jordan wanking can be excused. Without spoiling things for anyone who hasn't read, the, uh, unique recharge Jordan performs in issue #3 is awesome beyond words.

The best part about Johns run, though, is that he fills in gaps in the mythology. He does this whenever he comes on a book, actually (especially noticeable with his work on The Flash). He dedicates himself to tightening up anything that needs work. In The Flash, a lot of that was establishing his Rogues as interesting characters and legitimate threats. In Green Lantern, he's focused on fleshing out history, and establishing a strong collection of villains for Jordan--something the character has never really had.
Superman's only weakness is kryptonite. Batman laughs at Superman for having a weakness.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Ah, it's a good year to be a Green Lantern fan. 8) *looks at Amazons Attack! and World War Hulk* But maybe not other fandoms..... :(
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Saint
Redshirt

Post by Saint »

Hey! None shall speak ill of World War Hulk!

...Feel free to speak ill of Amazon's Attack, though.
Superman's only weakness is kryptonite. Batman laughs at Superman for having a weakness.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Saint wrote:The best part about Johns run, though, is that he fills in gaps in the mythology. He does this whenever he comes on a book, actually (especially noticeable with his work on The Flash). He dedicates himself to tightening up anything that needs work. In The Flash, a lot of that was establishing his Rogues as interesting characters and legitimate threats..
I've been hearing similiar praise about his six years on the title. Now, I'll admit I've never been the biggest fan of the Flash, but with the events of the last few months (Bart's death, Wally's return in The Lightning Saga, and the resumption of the previous volume), my interest have been piqued. Would you say it's worthwhile to pick up the trades?
Saint wrote:Hey! None shall speak ill of World War Hulk!

...Feel free to speak ill of Amazon's Attack, though.
Eh, the former lost me at issue 3 with Ross' unlimited adamantium bullets. The latter was just plain silly to begin with and once again indicative of just how badly DC has mishandled Diana in the last year.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

JME2 wrote:
Saint wrote: That said, this business with Kyle better be a secret plan to return him to greatness, rather than kill him. If Kyle dies, Johns will be on my shitlist forevermore. Haha.
Given the importance the Monitors have placed on Kyle over in Countdown, I find it unlikely that the Torchbearer will get whacked. My personal hope for Kyle for the immediate future is that possession problem is not wrapped up, i.e. Parallax ends up stuck in Kyle for a while longer. I mean, think about it. Sinestro Corps is TESB for GL; it would be the equivalent of Han being frozen in Carbonite.
Counting Down with Dan Dido
NRAMA: So that would explain how Kyle can appear here while currently, he’s seen doing ____ in another book?

DD: Right. It’s to clarify the order of his appearances. You’ll see that Kyle’s story breaks in Green Lantern #26, I believe, and from there, he moves to an issue of Countdown, and then appears in an issue of The All-New Atom. That’s not the order that those issues will be released, but those are the order of his appearances.
I figure that with the Monitor's interest in Kyle this probably means that he'll be back Ioning it up pretty soonish.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Saint
Redshirt

Post by Saint »

JME2 wrote: I've been hearing similiar praise about his six years on the title. Now, I'll admit I've never been the biggest fan of the Flash, but with the events of the last few months (Bart's death, Wally's return in The Lightning Saga, and the resumption of the previous volume), my interest have been piqued. Would you say it's worthwhile to pick up the trades?
I would say pick up the "Blitz" trade. I can't advise you to go pick up every Johns trade, as I haven't read all of them yet, but I can say that reading "Blitz" will encourage anyone to pick up more of his run. The only exceptions may be individuals allergic to awesomeness. Blitz is what turned me onto Johns, and what encouraged me to start getting the rest of his Flash stuff.

I am biased, admittedly, because I love the Flash.
Eh, the former lost me at issue 3 with Ross' unlimited adamantium bullets.
Haha, yes, the abundance of that particular item is a curiosity. Regardless, I'm enjoying it. I am especially pleased that Hulk and Banner are of the same mind. I knew that when Banner showed his face, it would be to ask the heroes, "What did you expect?" Did they think he'd side with them, after they what they cost him? Worse, Tony (and possibly the others) thought Bruce would offer up his life to stop the Hulk. How wrong they were, eh?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Hmm. Thanks for your thoughts on The Flash, Saint.

Also, a reminder to everyone that the action continues today in Green Lantern Crops # 15
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

JME2 wrote: Also, a reminder to everyone that the action continues today in Green Lantern Crops # 15

Wow, now I've seen everything. There are Green Lantern CROPS? Is it anything like super-Wheaties? :D :twisted: 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:
JME2 wrote: Also, a reminder to everyone that the action continues today in Green Lantern Crops # 15
Wow, now I've seen everything. There are Green Lantern CROPS? Is it anything like super-Wheaties? :D :twisted: 8)
I'll stick with Tasty Wheat, thank you. 8)
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Another action-packed issue, although I was expecting more from the showdown between Kilowog and that Sinestro Corps. guy (don't know his name). I did like how he appeared with dead GL bodies draped over him though.
Jason B. Romano
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jason wrote:Another action-packed issue, although I was expecting more from the showdown between Kilowog and that Sinestro Corps. guy (don't know his name).
Arkillo.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Jason wrote:Another action-packed issue, although I was expecting more from the showdown between Kilowog and that Sinestro Corps. guy (don't know his name). I did like how he appeared with dead GL bodies draped over him though.
Still have one issue to go.....

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

This weekend's Baltimore-Con has given us new information on the state of the post-war Corps, or rather the post-war as seen through the lens of the Green Lantern Corps title. First, the general, non-spoiler information, accumulated from here:

* GLC # 17 will be Dave Gibbons' last issue on the title. Peter Tomasi (of The Light Brigade mini-series - which I highly recommend if you haven't gotten it) will be taking over writing duties for the last two tie-in issues for the Sinestro Corps War and the immediate post-war issues.

* Patrick Gleason will continue on as GLC's main artist.

There are also spoilers for the end of the war, so, I've minimized them:

*The Guardians will authorize the use of deadly force for the ring-wielders against the Sinestro Corps.

*The core cast will essentially remain the same (Guy, Kilowog, Arisia, Salaak, Soranik, Iolande, Vath, and Isamot) with a few rookies in addition to Kyle (Kyle originally was originally going to be on the team after the Recharge mini, but Raan-Thanagar War and Infinite Crisis prevented this, leading of course into the Ion mini-series)..

In regards to the second piece of information (and the solicitations and artwork for future issues of Countdown) it looks like Parallax will be removed from Kyle by the time the war ends. We don't yet know, however, who'll act as the next host or if he gets put back in the power battery - or for that matter, whether or not Kyle will serve as Ion's host again. Personally, my money is on Sodam Yat over in GLC

In addition, I want to remind everyone that Sinestro Corps War continues this week in Green Lantern # 23.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, issue # 23 has hit the srands and, oh my...

* Well, the question of whether or not Kyle would be able to serve as a host for Ion again after the Parallax possession is finally answered. A shame for Kyle, but based on what's being set up in GLC, looks like Sodam Yat's got a new vocation...

* And the attack on New Earth begins. It was a nice because althought we knew it was coming, I thought the attack would unfold differently. I thought that the Sinestro and his Corps would run interference across the galactic chessboard while the Anit-Monitor, Henshaw, and Super-Psycho Jr. made a b-line for New Earth. But an all-out assualt SC attack on the multiverse -- well, that's even better... :twisted:

* It was good to see Coast City, Jim Jordan and his family again; that was a subplot from the early issues that was somewhat forgotten in the OYL jump. The shot of Parallax hovering above Jim Jordan and his family gave me the chills. Will Johns kill off Hal's only remaining family member? If he did, the payoff would be delicous as it was Hal that convinced Jim to move back to Coast City in the first place.

So, good fun, great artwork, and still the best story of the summer.

4/5
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I don't have it yet!!!! :(

*resists temptation to read JME's spoilers*

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Did anyone read Boost Gold #2? During his time travel adventures, Booster bumps into Sinestro when he was still a GL. A somewhat silly conversation takes place when Sinestro notices his Legion flight ring.

"You're from the future..and you where a ring?"
"Oh, yeah, everyone does. Sort of as a tribute to you."
"Ah...But a yellow ring? What corps are you a member of?"
"Uh...the Sinestro Corps!"
"Hmmmmmmm."
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:Did anyone read Boost Gold #2? During his time travel adventures, Booster bumps into Sinestro when he was still a GL. A somewhat silly conversation takes place when Sinestro notices his Legion flight ring.

"You're from the future..and you where a ring?"
"Oh, yeah, everyone does. Sort of as a tribute to you."
"Ah...But a yellow ring? What corps are you a member of?"
"Uh...the Sinestro Corps!"
"Hmmmmmmm."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Oops, I almost forgot. Technically, the next chapter, in GLC, won't be due out until next week. However, the first of the final four Tales of the Sinestro Corps one-shots goes on sale this weekl; first up to bat is Parallax.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

The Parallax story was really good; not much action and didn't move the plot forward at all but a really good character piece.

Also, Kyle stabbing Parallax in the damn eye with a pencil[/size[ was priceless.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

With the endgame of the Sinestro Corps War almost in sight, Newsarama has interviewed Geoff Johns, who has delivered a state of the war report. It goes into a farily detailed analysis of what we've seen since the Special, the players, the targets, etc. Johns also gives some more minor tidbits about the post-war status quo and future storylines. Points of interest:

* The Zamorians and the Star Sapphire rings will reappear. While we knew this was a given, I bring it up because Johns doesn't state if it will be before the end of the Sinestro Corps War or after it.

* The "Alpha Lanterns" arc will focus/spin out of the 10 new laws of the Book of Oa and the reactions of the GLC to the remaining 9.

* The arc following "Alpha Lanterns" will be titled "Green Lantern: Year One" and focuses upon Hal's relationship with Sinestro.

* The storylines following "Green Lantern: Year One" will build up to the third part of the trilogy (which again, obviously we knew, but I'm putting in here anyway).
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that the next installment of the Sinestro Corps War goes on sale tomorrow with Green Lantern Corps #16 (and yes, it's spelled right this time Steve 8) :wink: ). In addition, the second Tales of Sinestro Corps one-shot is also on sale tomorrow, this one focusing upon the Cyborg Superman.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

JME2 wrote:A reminder to everyone that the next installment of the Sinestro Corps War goes on sale tomorrow with Green Lantern Corps #16 (and yes, it's spelled right this time Steve 8) :wink: ). In addition, the second Tales of Sinestro Corps one-shot is also on sale tomorrow, this one focusing upon the Cyborg Superman.
Ahhh, so I do have a reason to hit the comic store on the way home from work today. Excellent!
Jason B. Romano
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

This is how a "big event" should be done. I am greatly enjoying each issue.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that the next installment of the Sinestro Corps War, Green Lantern# 24, goes on sale tomorrow.