For Green Lantern fans like myself....

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Crom wrote:
DEATH wrote:Interesting idea, although Lucifer is probably the nastiest imaginable wielder for a Green lantern in all of fiction. (Although then again, he doesn't need it, and probably invented it)
That's the thing, a Green Lantern ring gives Lucifer nothing and makes him part of an organization, something he would abhor.

Mazikeen probably would not join the Green Lantern Corps because there is nothing really in it for her. But she would be insanely powerful, I would think, because of her near insane focus.
Having the ring=!the corps (Although charging is an issue). And her focus would make her nasty, although her willpower isn't that amazing compared to others mentioned (Although the difference between willpower and focus might be just me quibbling).
I'd actually prefer Bigby Wolf (Who'd probably be even better with a Yellow ring considering his past exploits) or The Old Witch.
What would Bigby or Frau Totenkinder gain from the ring? Bigby is a demi-god and Frau Totenkinder is one of the most powerful Fables in existence.
And Superman's Superman, Superboy Prime can punch through history and Mogo is a giant planet with engines. The Ring's benefits stack and scale, Bigby got taken down by a punk with a shotgun when blindsided, and none of the fables can last against hordes of cannon fodder goblins.
A GL ring used by even the most incompetent allows immunity to anything the Adversary has to offer in his cannon fodder, and offers a major power-up in duels.
Snow White, however, has the will and the drive and the personality that I would look for in a Green Lantern.
Yes, but the others have it to a greater amount, and the point is that the ring "Stacks".
goomba wrote:Wasn't there a sentient planet that was in the GL Corps? I'm assuming it was using a stalactite.
Apart from Mogo we have the recent example of Gorilla Grodd (Justice) who wore a yellow power ring on his Big Toe :lol: . (And kicked the collective ass of half the silver age JLA).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

DEATH wrote:Having the ring=!the corps (Although charging is an issue).
True, though for Lucifer, and probably for Mazikeen, it would indicate a reliance on an external entity or object that he would not be willing to accept.

As for whether it does anything for him, no. His function was to shape matter and energy with the strength of his will. The power rings are a pale reflection of what he already does innately by just existing.
True enough. Frankly, I'm surprised that Mazikeen survived all the way to the end w/o a power ring.
It's important to remember that she's far from human.
Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

Dare devil
Brock Samson
Pikachu
May you live in interesting times.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Lisa wrote:Dare devil
Brock Samson
Pikachu
Pikachu? What the hell brought that bubbling to the surface?

Hell, if we're going to go with random video game characters, let's pick the Mario Brothers. One of them's green already, and as plumbers they're not exactly trained to fight fire-breathing dragon-turtles and their minions.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Eh, Dalton already threw in a FF6 character, and besides, she was probably refering to the one from the anime. Not that I wouldn't want to know the reasoning for throwing the electric rat onto the list, though.

I'll say Crono from Chrono Trigger. He took on Lavos despite the fact that if he'd just returned to his own time he would've died long before it showed up, and he sacrificed himself to save his friends.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

If you're going to go with Chrono Trigger characters, I say a ring goes to Magus. He has willpower in spades, defeated the "chosen one" supposedly destined to kill him, and is basically the Sorcerer Supreme of his own world.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

NeoGoomba wrote:If you're going to go with Chrono Trigger characters, I say a ring goes to Magus. He has willpower in spades, defeated the "chosen one" supposedly destined to kill him, and is basically the Sorcerer Supreme of his own world.
Glenn would be a much better choice, I think.
Lisa wrote:Brock Samson
Now that would be interesting...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Dalton wrote: Glenn would be a much better choice, I think.
Good point. He has the nobility a GL ring would look for, and he's already green :P . Magus would be an ideal candidate for a Sinestro Ring I suppose.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

NeoGoomba wrote:
Dalton wrote: Glenn would be a much better choice, I think.
Good point. He has the nobility a GL ring would look for, and he's already green :P . Magus would be an ideal candidate for a Sinestro Ring I suppose.
Actually, Lavos would be better. (He'd be a bit puny comapred to Ranx or Mogo, and not that much bigger than the sniper/rock snail, but at least he makes an effort :wink: )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Lavos didn't cause a great deal of fear though, because no-one really knew about it.

Magus held the world in terror.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

For a GL ring:

Aragorn from LOTR
Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda (how can this little green guy not get one?) from SW

For a Sinestro ring:

Palpatine
Sauron (He likes rings anyway)
Jason B. Romano
kinnison
Padawan Learner

Post by kinnison »

Good candidates IMHO:

From fantasy: Thomas Covenant

Fantasy again: Belgarath/Polgara (Belgarion is a little too impulsive! :) )

SF: Any of the Children of the Lens, any of the L2s, Paul Maud'Dib (anyone posted that one before?)

Action novels: Jack Ryan (ex Clancy)
Paradox244
Youngling

Post by Paradox244 »

Vendetta wrote:Lavos didn't cause a great deal of fear though, because no-one really knew about it.
He did after he tore through the planet's crust and rained death and destruction across the world. More to the point, there is no evidence that he is sentient. I would assume that thought would be nessicary for using the GL ring.
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Ooh, I'm quaking in my boots. What's he going to do? Rhetoric us to death?
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

No one named Spartan-113 yet?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

kinnison wrote:Good candidates IMHO:

From fantasy: Thomas Covenant
How can you mention Covenant and none of The bloody Bloodguard!

And for a Yellow Ring, Lord Foul or one of the 3 brothers would be absolutely terrifying wielders for the Ring (Worse than Sauron when it comes to fear making potential and raw power+Willpower)
Photography
kinnison
Padawan Learner

Post by kinnison »

Well, death, one of the reasons was that all the Bloodguard consciously made a decision not to wield magical power of any sort. Otherwise, Bannor (IIRC) would be a brilliant candidate.

Any of the Lore Lords would make a really bad one, for the same reason they had not cracked even the First Ward yet.

Lord Foul - maybe, except for the lack of a physical body. The brother corrupted Giants - yes, sure.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Judge Dredd. He's "overcome great fear". After gazing into the face of Fear...this happened. :lol:

Although not being allowed to use lethal force would put a bit of cramp on his style.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

How about Rose from the black company. :twisted:

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

GuppyShark wrote:My vote is obvious.
This one's for GuppyShark:

Hendrake
Padawan Learner

Post by Hendrake »

I nominate John Crichton from Farscape for the GL ring. I think he can get a lot of juice from the ring, considering his unwillingness to give up, ever and his stubbornness.

And Scorpius is a scary SOB. A Sinestro ring might choose him...
"It appears that our minds will never meet on this subject."
"If someone asks you why you're oppressing a world and you reply with a lot of poetic crap, no." - Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Frau Totenkinder, at the very least, would want a ring as a trump card just in case an Imperial sorceror ever managed to challenge her.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Frau Totenkinder, at the very least, would want a ring as a trump card just in case an Imperial sorceror ever managed to challenge her.
I don't think Totenkinder is that concerned about Imperial sorcerers. She took down Baba Yaga pretty handily, and it's not even clear if she can be killed. I don't think she would want a ring, and were she to get a hold of one, I'm thinking she would set it aside until such time the situation in Fabletown was drastic enough that she had to give it to someone else to use, like Bigby or Blue.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda