Iron Man vs Thor...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Ted C wrote:If I recall my Marvel Universe guides correctly, Asgardian tissue is several times denser than ordinary human tissue. This means that while Thor isn't exactly bullet proof, bullet penetration would be comparable to shooting a tree.
That jives with my recollection, too. It also means that while getting hit in the chest with buckshot isn't very likely to do more than piss Thor off, getting a rifle shot to the melon could be fatal. Hardly the way I'd like to see him get taken out, but I think the writers have a little more sense than that.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

There's a scene during The Secret War series where Thor is outside during a Super-Hurricane and the rain-drops are described as being like small arms fire. He just laps it up and goes for more.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Stile wrote:There's a scene during The Secret War series where Thor is outside during a Super-Hurricane and the rain-drops are described as being like small arms fire. He just laps it up and goes for more.
I recall that scene. It was the Thing who made the reference -- something like "...that rain is hitting like magnum slugs..." I wouldn't take it to have literal, quantitative meaning in this case.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Skelron wrote:
Except Asgard is now floating above the US, where will Iron Man deport him?
Norway.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Lonestar wrote:
Norway.
Ghetto Edit(Because I've thought this through some more):

Thor has essentially decided to take a chunk of land and create a Nationstate(unless you think he's going to pay property taxes on that thing) and have it floating around in the middle of America. Tony(That is, the United States Government) can make the argument that he needs to take him, and his floating kingdom, elsewhere. It would be a Bad Thing to have the home of the Gods floating around within American territory, being untouchable by the law.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So how far up exactly does american territory extend?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Batman wrote:So how far up exactly does american territory extend?
About the same altitude it becomes legal for satellite overflights, I imagine.

Suffice to say, Asgard is not that high up. A farmer can drive up with a ladder and climb on.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Asguard is a nationstate, by purchasing said land, they can now claim it as being the "Embassy Grounds" :twisted:

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Lonestar wrote:
I seriously doubt anybody ever bothered to set that down in writing, in the real OR the Marvel world.
Oh, and TYB, five in favour of Thor's niece collecting Stark's soul.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Asguard is a nationstate, by purchasing said land, they can now claim it as being the "Embassy Grounds" :twisted:
Fuck embassy grounds. They're genuinely foreign soil. :D As you said it's a different nation state :P
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Thor is an old school guy so they should settle it in an old school fashion.

Once he has levelled DC and broken the US military they can sit down and sign a treaty giving him the land.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I'm confused why Tony Stark still has all of his authority post-WWH. I'm actually surprised that he isn't dead or, at least, wiser for the experience of picking fights with people outside his weight class.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

He is clearly insane.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

Ultron AI in Extremis? :?
XET360 belgian news for Xbox 360
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Batman wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
I seriously doubt anybody ever bothered to set that down in writing, in the real OR the Marvel world.
A somewhat related Straight Dope column that this reminded me of. Specifically this part :
Cecil Adams wrote:Even on a national scale usque ad coelum isn't what it used to be. A 1967 treaty declared that the "exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies . . . shall be the province of all mankind." Though the frontier of outer space was not defined, some experts argue that it begins about 90 kilometers above the earth's surface. This is the lowest level at which orbital flight is practical, and it's also out of range of most nations' guns.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Crom wrote:I'm confused why Tony Stark still has all of his authority post-WWH. I'm actually surprised that he isn't dead or, at least, wiser for the experience of picking fights with people outside his weight class.
He and El Presidente are golfing buddies.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

What makes it worse for Tony is, he is seriously peshing off the guy that, if we take Avengers V JLA into account, (Which is cannon to both lines) is the guy who could most likely restart the Civil War. Remember how the Marvel heros responded when supes finally put Thor down, they went crazy, establishing that Thor is... an Icon to the Marvelverse heros he's the big guy.

If Cap is the brains Thor was the... dependable Muscle, hes the guy who always came through in the end, he's the guy who when your back is against the wall you REALLY wanted to see Thor flying to your rescue. So seriously coming on all high and mighty to Thor seems to be the best way to restart the whole mess, and this time with a god as the leader of your opposing faction.

Seriously, can anyone tell me one thing Tony Stark has done right since becoming leader of Shield, one thing where he hasn't managed to screw the pooch somehow?
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

SCRawl wrote:
Ted C wrote:If I recall my Marvel Universe guides correctly, Asgardian tissue is several times denser than ordinary human tissue. This means that while Thor isn't exactly bullet proof, bullet penetration would be comparable to shooting a tree.
That jives with my recollection, too. It also means that while getting hit in the chest with buckshot isn't very likely to do more than piss Thor off, getting a rifle shot to the melon could be fatal. Hardly the way I'd like to see him get taken out, but I think the writers have a little more sense than that.
Thor has been shown taking high calibre gunshots from airplanes. I can check on the issue if you want.

Also, anyone who has endured the punishment he has over the years ought to clearly be far more than bulletproof. I believe he was in the center of the sun in "Atlantis Attacks!" circa 1989 or so with no damage.
Jason B. Romano
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Jason wrote:
SCRawl wrote:
Thor has been shown taking high calibre gunshots from airplanes. I can check on the issue if you want.

Also, anyone who has endured the punishment he has over the years ought to clearly be far more than bulletproof. I believe he was in the center of the sun in "Atlantis Attacks!" circa 1989 or so with no damage.
As with the capabilities of many other comic book heroes, Thor's have varied wildly over the years. One day he's taking on a Celestial, the next day he gets brought to his knees by the Wrecker. It's like that. If you read back a little further, I pointed out that it was one particular creative team which had made it part of their "canon" that Asgardians were not bulletproof. I also mentioned that I wasn't happy about this choice, and that it had been reversed by subsequent writers. (I don't even know if this vulnerability was explored in the pages of the comics; the comment was made out of universe.)

In other words, I don't need to be convinced that, in the past (or, indeed, the present), Thor has proved to be capable of resisting this weapon or that payload.

Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Ah, OK, I misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Jason B. Romano
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Jason wrote:Ah, OK, I misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
No problem.

Something else just clicked in the old memory banks. I recall an issue of the Avengers, in which took place a brief punch-up between Iron Man and Thor. It was during the early 1980s, I think, and part of the plot was that both of them were being influenced by Moondragon's telepathy. Anyways, she made them both more aggressive than usual, which brought out Tony's natural dislike for what he felt was Thor's overdeveloped sense of entitlement (being a god will do that to a guy), and it came to blows. Well, blow, really; Iron Man clobbered Thor, knocking him through several large columns (I think), making some sort of comment about how, with the right power source, he could take anyone out. A few frames later, Thor returned to the field, saying that had Iron Man pressed his advantage he might have prevailed, but that now he was surely doomed. The usual sparks of lightning accompanied this threat. At about this time, one of the other Avengers pointed out that maybe someone was controlling their actions, and maybe they ought to see to that rather than kill each other.

It's an old memory, but I'm pretty sure that it's accurate, at least in its essentials.

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

SCRawl wrote:One day he's taking on a Celestial, the next day he gets brought to his knees by the Wrecker.
I was under the impression that Thor was in a weakened state when the Wrecker took him down, and in a rematch wiped him out with ease.

Yeah, I just double checked Wikipedia; Loki empowered the Wrecker, and he fought a "greatly depleted Thor" and managed to win.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Praxis wrote:
SCRawl wrote:One day he's taking on a Celestial, the next day he gets brought to his knees by the Wrecker.
I was under the impression that Thor was in a weakened state when the Wrecker took him down, and in a rematch wiped him out with ease.

Yeah, I just double checked Wikipedia; Loki empowered the Wrecker, and he fought a "greatly depleted Thor" and managed to win.
Then I clearly picked a bad example. I'll state my point more clearly: a normal-powered Thor -- or any character, for that matter -- will vary in capabilities from writer to writer, depending on the needs of the plot.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

This comic is giving me more "JMS Does Not Like Civil War's Outcome" vibes. His Spidey inner monologue from the final ASM Civil War comic seemed to directly argue in the face of Cap's ignomious surrender in CW #7 and now he's making Tony look nasty and vicious when he has Tony almost goose-stepping with that "you're either for the government, with the government, or you're against the government" spiel.... which is in real direct contradiction with how Tony treated Nova in Nova #2 and #3 (he gave him 24 hours to decide what to do, blasted the Thunderbolts for attacking Nova, seemed generally sympathetic and supportive, etc.).

I wonder if the Civil War dissenters in Marvel's writing staff are waging a little "Revolt of the Writers" and intentionally making Iron Man into a dick as their way of protesting the editors' decisions on the outcome of Civil War.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steve wrote:This comic is giving me more "JMS Does Not Like Civil War's Outcome" vibes.
You're talking about a man who had Dr. Doom monologue about how evil the United States was because of Global Warming.