Big O versus Voltron

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LordShaithis
Redshirt

Big O versus Voltron

Post by LordShaithis »

The battle takes place on the streets of Paradigm City, with Voltron already fully assembled. (Yes I mean Lion Voltron, the only real Voltron.) The combatants start out facing off against each other gunslinger-style from a distance of about two miles.

The Voltron team is taken from the end of it's series run, with Allura and not Sven piloting the blue. (IE, the most experienced team possible.) Meanwhile Roger is taken from the end of his series run, and has Dorothy in the cockpit with him. The uber nuke-yield Final Stage weapon is available to him, though I wouldn't give him much chance in hell of hitting a target as mobile as Voltron with it, given the prep-time it requires.

Oh, and for purposes of this discussion let's assume that Big O's forearm plates can block the blazing sword without signifigant damage. We've seen those plates easily absorb weapons fire that totally annhilated other mecha (and absorb blows capable of tearing through Big O's torso armor) so I don't feel it's an unreasonable assumption.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

It goes as any other episode of Voltron, where Voltron screws around using its weapons except for the sword, the weopons have no effect, sword comes out, and Roger has to block every sword blow, Voltron only has to get lucky once. O's only hope is to get in close and pound the living fuck out of Voltron in hopes of beating the human crew senseless, as Voltron is nigh indestructible. Assuming O can get close and has the physical strenght, it mnight be able to pull Voltron apart, but that can really only happen if Voltron's crew incapcitated or dead. My money's on Voltron.

Can O fly? I can't for the life of me remember. I know Voltron can, and if O can't fly then it definitly goes to Voltron.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Nope, tbe Big O can't dly, strictly bipedal locomotion.

Goes to Voltron mostly because Voltron is more mobile, has more weaponry, and as stated above, only has to be lucky once...
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Yeah, pretty much the way I had it figured. I loved Voltron as a kid and love Big O now, so I really want to find a way to make it a draw, but no. Roger had lots of trouble both times he fought a flying mecha in Big Duo, and Voltron outperforms Big Duo in nearly every conceivable way.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Deathstalker wrote:It goes as any other episode of Voltron, where Voltron screws around using its weapons except for the sword, the weopons have no effect, sword comes out, and Roger has to block every sword blow, Voltron only has to get lucky once. O's only hope is to get in close and pound the living fuck out of Voltron in hopes of beating the human crew senseless, as Voltron is nigh indestructible.
Actually, Roger is quite fond of using long-range weapons, e.g., Big O's eye beams, the Chrome Buster (the pink beam that shoots out of its forehead), the O Thunder (the forearm-mounted Gatling gun), Big O's anchor chains, and the rocket launchers and guns that are unvealed in Big O's "Attack Mode" (see the fight with the Big O Archetype).

In comparison, Voltron can launch missiles from Blue and Yellow Lions, fire off Red and Blue Lions' heads as a pseudo-Rocket Punch, have the Lions' heads spit fire (although I can't remember if this attack can be used in Voltron's combined mode), and a shuriken-like throwing weapon.

In my opinion, Voltron must rely on its flight capability and agility to close the distance and attack with the Flaming Sword, while Big O is throwing an unholy amount of laser energy, missiles, and artillery shells in its direction. (I'm not sure if Voltron's own long-range weapons are powerful enough to defeat Big O by themselves.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

can they get to water? I watched Voltron this morning and there was this episode were The evil witch and Zarkon said that Voltron couldn't fight underwater. They had used these robotic tadpoles and this giant tadpole to fight voltron. Voltron went underwater and was vulnurable. I would like Voltron to win but he does have vulnerablities as wall.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Voltron can't fight under water? What idiotic writer came up with that? It's designed to fight in space and is virtually indestructible, and it can't handle water? :roll:

I like both shows, but not a really big fan of either, but my money is still on Voltron. Big-O is a nonflying mecha, and is outmatched in the firepower and armor departments. Now Big-O vs Tranzor-Z is probably a much better match up.

I kn ow it would have ended the show, but I always wondered if Prince Whats his name could have defeated Voltron by sending as many ro beasts as he could, all at the same time, to simply wear out the crew of Voltron. Instead of trying for a one trick pony, he should have swamped Voltron. There'd be a mountain of trashed ro beasts, but there could have been an exhausted Voltron for the trouble
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

One thing I noticed was that Big O's weapons, while impressive in terms of destructive power, don't seem to have the ammo for a long-running fight. Now, I don't know if this is actually the case or just that Roger believes in using full rock'n'roll at every opportunity. I haven't seen Voltron in, hell, almost twenty years I think, so I don't remember much about it, but it sounds like Voltron could probably flit around until Big O runs out of ammo, then move in for hand to hand.
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Voltron is O(n).

That's for all the computer science people out there.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Sidewinder wrote:In my opinion, Voltron must rely on its flight capability and agility to close the distance and attack with the Flaming Sword, while Big O is throwing an unholy amount of laser energy, missiles, and artillery shells in its direction. (I'm not sure if Voltron's own long-range weapons are powerful enough to defeat Big O by themselves.)
Big O's chest-mounted guns and missiles probably can't elevate far enough to strike airborne targets. In the second battle with Big Duo, I recall Roger attacking with the head-mounted beam weapons until Duo landed, and only then opening up with the chest weapons.

That leaves him with only the chrome buster and eye beams to use as anti-air weapons. Maybe the gatling guns as well, but the fact that they weren't used against Big Duo until the fight went to the ground calls their viability in that role into question.

If Voltron doesn't take to the air immediately and instead goes for an initial exchange of fire from the "squared off like gunslingers" position while Roger launches an alpha strike, then maybe Big O can swing things in his favor with some early damage.

That's about the best Roger can hope for, though.