Recation Thread: First episode of the Dresden Files

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Recation Thread: First episode of the Dresden Files

Post by Majin Gojira »

It just finished up here on the eastern seaboard of the US, so let the discussion begin.

Pretty good begining, but I have not read the book series, so I do not know of all the changes made.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Well, from what I know, the cop is different now.

It's on in a few hours, but it seems like the first episode has nothing to do with the plot of the first book,based on the description. I'm just wondering if they're going to translate the ongoing plotline from the books as well as individual book plots, or if they're going to make up a lot of the plotlines.

Some of the book plots would work as mini arcs in a season, while the major plot is carrid on over seasons. If it lasts that long.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Storm front, the first book, is the plotline for eppy 5. This will be the eppy format version of the program that was originally a 2 hour made for TV movie, now cut down to an a hour. (Also they have changed Bob, at first he was going to be a Fre spirit, but that would have been too expensive for a series, so it needed reshooting.)

The series should be viewed as an alternate timeline, that is, we have the Bookverse and we have the TV verse. The TV verse on the whole will follow it's own course, but nothing stops them borrowing from the books.

And lastly, so what did people think who have been able to see it?
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I liked it. Some good twists and turns.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I only just went out and bought the first two books and read them, so I had a very fresh take on the series.

The first one was actually a very good intro. You see what happened in the past to Harry, but not all of it. You see echoes of it in what's happening to the boy.

The Ravens were a total surprise. I did enjoy the makeup job on them, and the trick with the side-blinking eyes only added to the inhumanity. The actual villian was also nicely done, even to never seeing the true shape of it. Nice trick with the box, as well. "Pop!"

For the pilot, I think it's showing a LOT of promise. Bob as a ghost is interesting. Harry getting laid is funny. The 'money walks, bullshit talks' attitude and concern over paying the bills is also very Harry. But why no basement apartment?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It certainly shows promise.

I'm curious why the kid was eating such a crunchy banana sundae, though.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

LadyTevar wrote: For the pilot, I think it's showing a LOT of promise. Bob as a ghost is interesting. Harry getting laid is funny. The 'money walks, bullshit talks' attitude and concern over paying the bills is also very Harry. But why no basement apartment?
I think the reason is because it was such a different medium. In the book Dresden has the most whacked out bug you'll ever find. The author occasionally draws attention to the details(four different colors minimum) for comedy's sake, but treats it like nothing more than a ride for the rest. They shifted to the ww2 era jeep because they didn't want focus on that joke every time he went somewhere.

Could be the same idea for the house. Because, I mean, his apartment in the book is literally a dark cave...near enough anyway. Especially with the way he's got it decorated. Put that on the screen and it won't look homely enough for the audience to 'zone it out' enough for it to be the background and will just see "wow that's a shitty place to live" every time.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gaidin wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: For the pilot, I think it's showing a LOT of promise. Bob as a ghost is interesting. Harry getting laid is funny. The 'money walks, bullshit talks' attitude and concern over paying the bills is also very Harry. But why no basement apartment?
I think the reason is because it was such a different medium. In the book Dresden has the most whacked out bug you'll ever find. The author occasionally draws attention to the details(four different colors minimum) for comedy's sake, but treats it like nothing more than a ride for the rest. They shifted to the ww2 era jeep because they didn't want focus on that joke every time he went somewhere.

Could be the same idea for the house. Because, I mean, his apartment in the book is literally a dark cave...near enough anyway. Especially with the way he's got it decorated. Put that on the screen and it won't look homely enough for the audience to 'zone it out' enough for it to be the background and will just see "wow that's a shitty place to live" every time.
That's a good point, as well as the fact a basement apartment has a very low ceiling, which is BAD for camera angles. I totally missed the VW/Jeep switch, but it may have been as simple as Jeep offered more money for the Product Placement.

What they didn't really go into, however, was the reaction electronics should be having around him.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Slayen
Padawan Learner

Post by Slayen »

LadyTevar wrote:
What they didn't really go into, however, was the reaction electronics should be having around him.
As someone who hasn't read the books, what reaction should electronics be having?
"We are imperfect reflections of the universe around us. We cannot change the past, we can only learn from it, try to create a future in which such errors do not reoccur. Sadly, we are still working on that last part." , Gkar aka Andreas Katsulas: May 18, 1946 - February 13, 2006 R.I.P.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Slayen wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
As someone who hasn't read the books, what reaction should electronics be having?
If Dresden is emotionally stable they won't do much unless they're severely twenty-first century. If he's pissed or overly happy(see sex...) things as simple as light bulbs start blowing around him(guy keeps fifty extra bulbs in his office in the books).

He was on a talk show once and had to spend most of his concentration on maintaining a field that kept that from happening to the cameras and stage lights. He didn't get to answer many questions, needless to say.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

Anyone else think that
hey showed Justin as still being alive
a little too soon? There's the talk in the books about a background player manipulating all of the events, and now I wonder if the producers had a little chat with Jim about this. I doubt it, though. and I don't think the character I mentioned is big time enough to fill that role, and besides, the show is going its own way.
BotM Cybertronian
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

FUCK- I meant to put the part in quotes as small text. Could someone fix that?
BotM Cybertronian
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I liked it, but it seemed very pilot-ish. I hope it gets better.

Though, after Harry got his shield bracelet ripped off and the girl died, I would have expected him to scramble after it in case something attacked, as subsequently did happen. After all, there was a reason why the wards or whatever were ripped off.
Utah Jak
Padawan Learner

Post by Utah Jak »

I was surprised by the quality of the show. I usually don't get excited about pilots, but this was top notch.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Interesting show. I liked it, especially the way they handed magic and the ravens. According to Wikipedia, that Bob character changed (he was a talking skull in the book, from what I understand) because they couldn't make a talking skull look realistic.

Oh and Nicholas Cage is one of the executive producers, so instant +10. :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nicholas Cage is a Producer for this?

Ok.. now I know that the show's got promise.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Perhaps I'm a bit dense, but how does Nick Cage being producer HELP the show's case? Has he EPd other good shows?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Wicker Man (2006) (producer), Lord of War (2005) (producer), The Life of David Gale (2003) (producer), Sonny (2002) (producer), Shadow of the Vampire (2000) (producer)

Some good, some bad.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I like the fact that Nick Cage is executive producing mostly because he's a comic book geek...

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, though I was a bit disappointed that they're starting off with an original episode rather than one of the book stories.

Personally, I hope that by the time they get to Dead Beat, they do it in full glory as a multi-parter...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

1. Dresden ain't friggin tall enough.

2. Where's his fucking duster?

3. What the hell happened to the Blue Beatle?

4. Why is Murphy a brunette that's damned near as tall as Harry?

5. Where the fuck is Mister at?

Other then that, I actually kinda liked it. Hopefully Sci-Fi doesn't screw this up.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Mr. Coffee wrote:1. Dresden ain't friggin tall enough.

2. Where's his fucking duster?

3. What the hell happened to the Blue Beatle?

4. Why is Murphy a brunette that's damned near as tall as Harry?

5. Where the fuck is Mister at?
This answers most of those...
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

What the unholy fuck did they do to Bob? Its like they Buffy-ized him and made him like Giles. Which is horseshit. Bob's personality is basically a horny fratboy who happens to have hundreds of years of magical knowledge. This is a character who, after Harry tells him about wiping out a scourge of vampires, losing his hand, discovering he has a brother, learning his mother was murdered and his mentor lied to him for decades, and that he has a massive killing curse after him, only responds by asking for more details abou Murphy's ass. And what the FUCK is he doing serving as Harry's concience, telling him to help the boy? THis is Bob, who explicetly is said to not understand or care about the difference between right and wrong, and was annoyed that Harry didn't steal a baby and offer it to Mab instead of taking a case.

The person manifestation vs permenant skull I can deal with. The utter butchering of the character I cannot.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Except for the horny frat boy part, I think they thought that his moral grey-ness would make viewers dislike him. Though in truth it makes him badass.

To be fair, Bob has something of a conscience. There was that deep dark magic he didn't want to pull up from his memory.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

neoolong wrote:Except for the horny frat boy part, I think they thought that his moral grey-ness would make viewers dislike him. Though in truth it makes him badass.

To be fair, Bob has something of a conscience. There was that deep dark magic he didn't want to pull up from his memory.
Eh...this version of Bob *did* say that he just didn't want to have to deal with Harry moping about for months.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Robert Hewit Wolfe as a producer. Excellent. *tents fingers* I'm not overly concerned with the changes to the book. Hair colour on the characters isn't that big of a deal, and truth be told, I'm only find the books somewhat entertaining. I'm much more concerned with if they can produce a good tv show.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.