X-Men 3 Review (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: The final scene after the credits earned a giant "wat" from my friend and I (although thinking about I get it now, but it's still wat-worthy).
What happened after the credits? Missed it...
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Jadeite wrote:
Cyclop's death: Finally. I never liked him in the first place, and its only fitting he got blasted by the woman he loved.
Full agreement here.
Oh yeah, forgot to add: I hated Angel. No characterization and a simple plot device. Annoying, wish he'd been stabbed as well.
What was his purpose in this movie, anyway? His entire purpose in the movie was so he could fly by and catch the guy, something Storm could have done. They should have given his screen time to actually give Pheonix some character development.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Sorry for the triple post. Forget what I asked about what happens after the end credits. YouTube has helped me.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Just a quick question: For someone who's never read any of the X-Men comics, how powerful is Xavier? What level mutant is he? Like, is he a level 3 mutant? What are the full extent of his powers?
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Mlenk wrote:Just a quick question: For someone who's never read any of the X-Men comics, how powerful is Xavier? What level mutant is he? Like, is he a level 3 mutant? What are the full extent of his powers?
He is the most powerful telepath on Earth. He could find anyone on Earth until Magneto did something with Earth Magnetic field.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Was it ever explained why it's all of a sudden dark when Magneto attacks Alcatraz ? Did he just sit on the bridge for a few hours waiting for sunset or did one of the mutants do it ?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, I guess I'll post my own theories on why Jean vaped Cyclops and Xavier but not Wolverine. Hopefully they'll make sense.

Cyclops seems to be the easiest one. Pheonix is all about Jean's emotional side: passion, rage, and so on. So with that passionate kiss with Cyclops, maybe she just lost control for a moment and was surprised. That might explain why the find her knocked out later.

As for the professor, I think maybe he sacrificed himself? Seems convulted, yes, but think about it. Maybe he knew by then there was obviously nothing he could do to contain Pheonix anymore. The cat was out of the bag and he couldn't put it back in. The only thing then is to kill Jean and with her, Pheonix. He can't do that, he's too overpowered. But maybe, just maybe, his X-Men can (or hell, Magneto, though I don't think he'd count on that). But how is he going to get them to do that? By having her vape him and be pissed about it! Maybe that's why we see him fight it, and fight it...but then when he looks over to Wolverine and smiles, he eats it. Instantly. Like he just gave up. I don't think Pheonix ramped up the power on him all of a sudden for Wolverine's benefit, but if Xavier stopped resisting then he'd be a goner.

As to Wolverine at the end, my guess is that Jean was fighting Pheonix and wanted to die, but she couldn't totally regain control. All she could do was hold it back some. For any other X-Man, this would be lethal, as the damage inflicted to Wolverine shows. His healing power is the only thing that would let him get close enough to her to do the job; everyone else would have been disabled long before, as when pieces of them get blown off they don't heal back. So she may've wanted to die, and any of the X-Men could've done it so far as she was concerned, but Wolverine was the only one who could survive long enough to get close enough to finish the job.

That's just my theory anyway.
Gil Hamilton wrote:Plus, did anyone find it odd that Callisto beat Storm like a red headed stepchild at Jean Grey's house? That should have been a horrible mismatch, since in the movies Storm was under no agreement not to just zap the fuck out of her, but Callisto whipped the shit out of her.
From what I've seen of Storm's movie powers, she generates her lightning from the sky and directs it to her target, rather than generating the lightning from her own body. I guess that would've been rather difficult for her to do when she's inside a structure like that (which IIRC is where she was getting her ass kicked). Hence why she probably didn't try it.

That and it seems to take her a moment to do it, a moment Callisto didn't give her. She only got that at Alacatraz when she knocked Callisto down and then tossed her into the fence.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Saw it last night: Entertaining, but a "little" scatterbrained.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JadeOwl
Redshirt

Post by JadeOwl »

Praxis wrote:
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: The final scene after the credits earned a giant "wat" from my friend and I (although thinking about I get it now, but it's still wat-worthy).
That man that was born without a consciousness that was shown during Xavier’s class wakes up while Moira MacTaggert (spelling?) is checking on him. We never see his face, but he calls her name in Xavier’s voice and she asks him: Charles?!

I believe we’re to assume that just before Phoenix vaporized him, he transferred his consciousness to the guy’s brain. Remember the lecture Xavier was giving to his students about the subject?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

JadeOwl wrote:
Praxis wrote:
That man that was born without a consciousness that was shown during Xavier’s class wakes up while Moira MacTaggert (spelling?) is checking on him. We never see his face, but he calls her name in Xavier’s voice and she asks him: Charles?!

I believe we’re to assume that just before Phoenix vaporized him, he transferred his consciousness to the guy’s brain. Remember the lecture Xavier was giving to his students about the subject?
that part with Prof X lecture was called foreshadowing, and in this case it was really obvious foreshadowing.... would have been more subtle if the lecture was done in X2 so that people had to remember oh yeah, they can do that.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

RogueIce wrote:From what I've seen of Storm's movie powers, she generates her lightning from the sky and directs it to her target, rather than generating the lightning from her own body. I guess that would've been rather difficult for her to do when she's inside a structure like that (which IIRC is where she was getting her ass kicked). Hence why she probably didn't try it.

That and it seems to take her a moment to do it, a moment Callisto didn't give her. She only got that at Alacatraz when she knocked Callisto down and then tossed her into the fence.
She can generate lightning and inclement weather locally, even in the movies. Remember how she did it inside the Korean Bootleg Cerebro Stryker made, which was not only completely enclosed but buried underground? In the last fight, she generated the electricity next to her and fried Callisto. Inside a house isn't going to effect much.

It seems like another one of those fights where they make the main character into a wimp for the purpose of setting up an in-movie vendetta. That actually was a reference to the comics where the comic versions of the characters did fight in hand to hand combat for the life and penis of Angel and leadership of the Morlocks (long story, involving kidnapping and attempted freaky mutant sewer sex), but Storm deliberately agreed not to use her powers, because it wouldn't have been a remotely fair fight if she did. Movie Storm, of course, is under no obligation.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
RogueIce wrote:From what I've seen of Storm's movie powers, she generates her lightning from the sky and directs it to her target, rather than generating the lightning from her own body. I guess that would've been rather difficult for her to do when she's inside a structure like that (which IIRC is where she was getting her ass kicked). Hence why she probably didn't try it.

She can generate lightning and inclement weather locally, even in the movies. Remember how she did it inside the Korean Bootleg Cerebro Stryker made, which was not only completely enclosed but buried underground? In the last fight, she generated the electricity next to her and fried Callisto. Inside a house isn't going to effect much.

It seems like another one of those fights where they make the main character into a wimp for the purpose of setting up an in-movie vendetta. That actually was a reference to the comics where the comic versions of the characters did fight in hand to hand combat for the life and penis of Angel and leadership of the Morlocks (long story, involving kidnapping and attempted freaky mutant sewer sex), but Storm deliberately agreed not to use her powers, because it wouldn't have been a remotely fair fight if she did. Movie Storm, of course, is under no obligation.
D'oh!

Ok, I fall back on the "didn't have time to generate lightning" excuse then.

Or maybe she didn't want to ruin Jean's house...even though Wolverine and Juggernaught were doing a fine job of it.

Or she forgot. Hey, if Superman can forget his powers, so can Storm.

Or I'm just really reaching here and there's no real good in-universe explanation for it.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I think the explaination is that Storm needed to get his ass kicked so they later on she could have a Score To Settle with Callisto in the final battle.

If you want an in-universe explaination, maybe she did forget that she had mutant powers, even though not five seconds earlier she used lightning to knock out Arclight and Pyro when she tornadoed through them.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

It seems to me that in the movies Storm needs a longer time to generate the lightning. Like when Sabretooth was choking her and the other time when she was zapping Nightcrawler. It was often music -> eyes turn white -> bang.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nothing really to add on my part. Could have been better, but still a good film. Few quick points, however:

* I will admit it: I cried during Xavier's funeral.

* Ian McKellen's best performance of the entire trilogy: I loved his verbal counter-attack on Pyro's "I could have killed Xavier."

* Stars and garters! Kelsey Grammer was perfect as Beast.

* Favorite shot in the movie was the pan of the X-Men in the middle of Alcatraz, between the humans and the mutants. Perfect symbolism regarding where they stand.
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

Did they have a continuity officer person thingy???

It suddenly turns dark when Magneto et al is moving the bridge to attack Alcatraz.

The needles with which Beast stabs Magneto switch places.

I laughed my arse off when Shadowcat got to the kid, I just instantly thought she was going to run face first into a wall, sadly she stopped her self with her arm. That would have been funny!
"groovy" - Ash, Evil Dead 2.
"no prizes for guessing 'the colour of the grass on the otherside' or the time on the moon" - Either Nick, Rye or Tony.
"your pills your grass your tits your ass"
" i pitty teh poor foo's that have to suffer Troy's anti-plan field"
"Escaped mental patients make better lovers" - Graffiti near Uni.
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

I watched it for a second time and noticed a few things.

I think I saw the "Stepford Cuckoos" blurred out in the background in the halls of the mansion after the Danger Room scene.

They used the infamous Wilhelm scream when the arial munitions were used on the mutants.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Did Emma Frost ever make an appearance? I never saw her.

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Galvatron wrote:Did Emma Frost ever make an appearance? I never saw her.

<snip oolala>
Frankly speaking, if they're REALLY gonna do an X4, I'd like to see Emma Frost in. Look at the current faculty: The one and only annoying Storm. (Wolverine? Hah!) even if Xavier shows up, it's still a pretty weak school.
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Ghetto: No Emma wasn't in this film. Though a live action Emma Frost exists in a film called Generation X. :twisted:
Member of Justice League
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I would have enjoyed it if at the end, where Magneto was sitting at the chess table, he really cannot move the piece, but then a man who introduces himself as Mr. Essex (aka Mr. Sinister) sits down and offers him a proposal from Essex's boss.

Of course, I dont really care if they make an X4, but I would love to see Apocalypse as a villain. However, if they couldn't pull off a Sentinel, they wouldnt be able to really adapt Apocalypse, who would need an insane amount of CGI.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:Ghetto: No Emma wasn't in this film. Though a live action Emma Frost exists in a film called Generation X. :twisted:
God, I remember that. Curse you for dredging that up. :x

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Watched it this afternoon. Overall I thought it was better than what the intial negative buzz made it out to be but still not really great but I've never really enjoyed the other movies.

The Good

Kelsey Grammer was spot on as the Beast. I thouroughly enjoyed seeing him in action, the way he perfectly inhabited the role and his make up was awesome.

The way they handled the cure and the effects it would have on the mutant community was impressive for a movie that is essentially fast food for the mind.

The scene with Angel as a boy really does make it all come into focus on what it feels like for a child and a parent when you realize that you're different. Bravo. Once again for a film series and style of film that is usually entertainment fast food.

Nice intros for other mutants - I could truly care less whether Callisto's powers were done right or Acrlight really doesn't clap her hands to cause shockwaves they were well done in particular with the attempt to show the variety of mutants out there.

The final battle was well done. The way that for once human troops weren't clueless fucktwards that could be easily manhandled by the likes of Magneto. The display of Magneto really cutting loose on the Golden Gate Bridge. There's a reason why he is considered one of the most powerful super powered individuals - not just mutants - on Marvel Earth.

The sheer variety of mutants was a very nice touch. Did you look at some of the people on that line? There were some shlubs and mopes on the cure line. Not all of them were cut from the muscled abs spandex crowd. Also liked the touch that mutants have their own culture now too ("Where's your mark?")

The Bad

Phoenix storyline. God did this blow really fast. I couldn't muster enough to give a damn about Jean and her sudden Anakin like behavior down to the changing eyes. Everytime it focused on the Phoenix the movie became intolerably lame. It didn't help that one, I thought Famke was a terrible actress, never liked her in any of the X-films and two they killed Cyclops. The final battle where Logan walks up to her and stabs her was a mercy killing way too late for the subplot that did not need to be in this movie.
The subplot was totally and completely unneccesary. If you lifted the subplot out of the movie it wouldn't have changed a damned thing plot wise.

Cyclops - Ok, he's my favorite X-man. I won't lie. So it doesn't help to see the short shrift he's given in the series. And in this film to die not even 1/3 of the way through for absolutely no reason (after all her killing him doesn't stop her or make her rethink her actions and invalidates the love she supposedly felt for him in two prior movies since she obviously truly loves Logan (BARF) ) just adds insult to injury for this cyclops fan.

Rogue/Iceman/Kitty triangle seemed forced and unneccasary to me. The world is on the brink and I don't want to see the most ueless X-man since the very first movie whine once again how she can't touch anyone. UGH.

The politics of the movie - are you telling me with a straight face that with the US attitude towards mutants that you're going to have a mutant friendly administration with an obvious on his face mutant at a cabinet level post. The previous administration was attacked by a mutant in the White House and only a year earlier than that an attack on NYC (and assembled diplomats of the world) by mutants. There is no fucking chance that Bush for example after 9/11 would appoint an obvious Arab (ie. Fazad Al-Sarqawi) at a cabinet level post. Sorry may not be politically correct but true. There is no fucking chance after the events of the previous two films you're going to have as mutant friendly administration in power as the one we see in this film. If anything it would be even more anti mutant.

Pacing in this movie was a bit off - I blame the horrid and unneccessary Phoenix subplot.

The Mutant army that Magneto marches on San Francisco with and with which he will challenge the world is what...20 guys?? I think one line of mutants trying to get a cure we saw on screen was larger than what Magneto marched acorss the bridge with.

Once again we have Logan at the center of things - I really tired of the Logan love fest in the first two. Why not call it "Wolverine and the X-Men" instead of "X-Men."

And the increased screen time devoted to Storm was annoying to say the least, I know Halle Berry demanded more screentime but frankly her character was uninteresting in the first two, this last one's increase of her screentime only accentuated that fact.

The Ugly

The Happy fucking ending. Are you fucking kidding me?!!? The mutants tore the Golden Gate bridge, killed and maimed American troops, almost blew up Alcatraz island, one of their leaders vowed the streets of America would never be safe again and you really think everything's going to be hunky dory? Logan can stand on the veranda and smile up at a nice spring sky? Fuck that. You wanna go dark for 90% of the movie, be fucking bold and stay fucking dark. That happy ending betrays the mood that was built up for an hour and half so we can all feel good walking out of a movie that deals with issues of genocide, racism and terrorism. You remember what Arabs went through after 9/11 and think again about what's portrayed here at the end.

Tying in with the Happy fucking ending is the idea that the mutant cure is not permanent. Yeah, sucks that Magneto lost his powers. You wanna go down that road stick to it. No permanence. No drama. Why all the blood, carnage and drama if it was all over something that didn't work in the first place?

Bad enough the Phoenix storyline sucked. No Phoenix effect?! C'mon throw us a fucking bone man, there were flames at the battle. She could have wrapped herself in those flames at the end for a nice little touch - hell there were phoenix effect flames in the lake when she died. Didn't deserve any in her final moment of glory?

Editted to add: The Logan and Storm bit.
Last edited by Stravo on 2006-05-29 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

JME2 wrote:
* I will admit it: I cried during Xavier's funeral.
I was just sitting through it thinking, "Nah...he can't actually be dead...can he? Are they allowed to kill Professor X? No...he can't be dead...he can't be dead...he can't be dead..."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Well, there's already more or less one running around Marcon. so why not?
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image