The Sin City Thread (spoiler-free)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Losonti Tokash wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:CAPAlert Score: 0

Like anyone didn't see this coming?
"Making out" is listed under "sexual immorality", along with "cohabitation". Gotta love conservative Christians.
Don't forget this gem:
eight uses of God's name in vain with the four letter expletive and six without
i'm amazed they didn't knock it down a couple of points simply for the title of the movie alone.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

i'm amazed they didn't knock it down a couple of points simply for the title of the movie alone.
Oh they did, they just don't list that.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

This is one awesome fucking movie. I love this imagery that runs throughout the movie. Both visual and implied. Much like Sky Captain (which is the cliche' going around for describing) and the stories were excellent.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

Fucking Incredible. Definetely one my favorite movies ever. I especially liked the ending. :twisted:
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

observer_20000 wrote:Fucking Incredible. Definetely one my favorite movies ever. I especially liked the ending. :twisted:
I loved the ending. For some reason, Josh Hartnett was just perfect for that role.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I loved how Marv was the unanimous favorite. His character got so much applause.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Wow, wierd movie. First and foremost I think we need to give the little canibal boy(Kevin was it?) Mith's Harry Potter on Acid title.

Second, man was it a mistake to let my mom take me to see this movie as a payment for working for her.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Damn! I just saw it and I was left speachless by it, utterly speachless about that movie for a good 15 minutes, it was that good.

Once you adapt to the style, the rest comes Noir-ing through...
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Joe wrote:I loved how Marv was the unanimous favorite. His character got so much applause.
Same with my theatre. Marv was great. But story-wise, I'd have to say that Hartigan's was my favorite. It was beautifully done. "An old man dies, a young girl lives. Fair trade." It also one of my favorite lines: "Yeah, maybe after I accomplished that miracle, I'd go punch out God."
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Ok, this sounds amazing, so I plead with you to mark spoilers till at least June, when it comes out here.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Also, this movie cost only $40 million. It seems like it should be much more. After domestic gross, worldwide gross, and DVD sales this is going to be a very profitable movie. I can't wait to see how Hollywood reacts to its success.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Rye wrote:Ok, this sounds amazing, so I plead with you to mark spoilers till at least June, when it comes out here.
JUNE!!!!

You have got tobe fucking kidding me!!

Is there any reason why the US get's films months before Europe? It's not like it takes that long to transport something across the Atlantic anymmore
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

2000AD wrote:
Rye wrote:Ok, this sounds amazing, so I plead with you to mark spoilers till at least June, when it comes out here.
JUNE!!!!

Is there any reason why the US get's films months before Europe? It's not like it takes that long to transport something across the Atlantic anymmore
If they're going to be using the same prints for the US as for Europe they're going to have to wait until it's done in the US, or at least finished in a number of theaters, before shipping the film to Europe.

Cheaper this way than having to make a larger number of prints of the movie. That's the way it works I think.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

observer_20000 wrote:Fucking Incredible. Definetely one my favorite movies ever. I especially liked the ending. :twisted:
I agree completely. The ending was the best part. I was wondering what they were going to with that very first scene and then bam. Very well played.

Does anyone know what part Tarintino had in this?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Joe wrote:I can't wait to see how Hollywood reacts to its success.
Hopefully more noir. I don't think they need any nudging to make more comic book movies, but I love noir and this is probably the first (good) noir movie in a long time.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

2000AD wrote:
JUNE!!!!

I thought Rye lived in South Africa.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

I had very high expectations of this movie. It went above and beyond them. Best movie I have seen in a long, long, time.

(PS screw you all, I like Britney Murphies acting)
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Sam Or I wrote:I had very high expectations of this movie. It went above and beyond them. Best movie I have seen in a long, long, time.

(PS screw you all, I like Britney Murphies acting)
I agree. I saw it again earlier tonight, and I thought the entire cast did a bang-up job.

And who else was pleasantly surprised to see Billy Boyd as a bad-ass Irish terrorist? :D
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Durandal wrote:And who else was pleasantly surprised to see Billy Boyd as a bad-ass Irish terrorist? :D
He's not listed as being in the cast on IMDB, weirdly. I'm 99% sure it was him.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Durandal wrote:And who else was pleasantly surprised to see Billy Boyd as a bad-ass Irish terrorist? :D
He's not listed as being in the cast on IMDB, weirdly. I'm 99% sure it was him.
It was him without a doubt. It's only a cameo for him though. He doesn't stick around very long.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Well I didn't like much. The only story I liked was the one with Marv. I don't mind it being noir but I didn't like the acting.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

I just saw it this weekend, and I thought it was great. I've read the comics before, and I'm glad to see the movie lived up to them.

Marv was my favorite character from the movie. But you know, I saw some of the photos of the cast attending the premier when I was reading the reviews on Yahoo, and the scary thing is, Mickey Rourke looks scarier as himself than he did made up as Marv.

The real Mickey Rourke is, I suspect, a victim of bad plastic surgery. His face looks mishapen, like's he's had a chin implant or something. And maybe a too tight face lift.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I saw the movie Sunday night. I went in expecting the worst because Rodriguez has put out such awful shit lately - Once upon a Time in Mexico was unwatchable. But the visuals I saw in the trailer promised something grand so I decided to give it a shot.

I was very pleasantly surprised. This was a good movie, a damned good movie. I particularly liked the visuals in the Marv storyline, many of the scenes in this movie looked like they jumped off the panel of the comics. Marv standing behind the statue of the Cardinal with the rain coming downin sheets was one of those images I adored, as well as Kevin sitting on the porch reading the bible, his round glasses and the crucifix on the bible's cover glowing an incendescent white just as they would in a black and white comic panel.

Loved the use of white for blood. Red only when it was really important.

The bookended Bruce Willis story was great only because Bruce was in it and he is one of my favorite guys to watch on the screen (Hudson Hawk excepted) He has a presence on screen that just makes you want to watch him and his narration was just great. "C'mon old man."

Thought the Wyatt story was weak, the hookers running the show in old town and the wankfest character Miho in particular were a tad ugh. Why didn't Miho just do the story herself, its obvious the author fiat shields were strong in her. I'm getting a little tired of the cliched Melee weapons when handled by a master are far more dangerous than firearms.

The Tarantino guest spot was OK, nothing that jumped out at the screen at you (In case you didn't know it was the scene in the car with Benico Del Toro's dead character and Wyatt chatting.) Was Tarentino NEEDED for those ten minutes of screen time or was it just another example of the mutual masturbation between the two men as has been going on for some time now.

Still I would recommend people to see it, particularly to see how pretty a movie can be using just green screens. Some people mentioned that drek Sky Captain as another example. I say NO. Skycaptain was hideous, did not look beautiful and the effects and background drew attenton to themselves saying "Hi, I'm a Greenscreen." Nothing in this movie said that, it all felt very organic and clean.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Stravo wrote:The Tarantino guest spot was OK, nothing that jumped out at the screen at you (In case you didn't know it was the scene in the car with Benico Del Toro's dead character and Wyatt chatting.) Was Tarentino NEEDED for those ten minutes of screen time or was it just another example of the mutual masturbation between the two men as has been going on for some time now.
According to an article in the latest issue of Wired, Rodriguez invited Tarantino to do the scene to demonstrate the superiority of digital filming techniques over oldstyle analog. Apparently, he was successful and Tarantino (formerly staunchly against digital) has now agreed to film his next move that way.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm not surprised, this movie is by far the most successful live action film yet filmed in digital.
The Tarantino guest spot was OK, nothing that jumped out at the screen at you (In case you didn't know it was the scene in the car with Benico Del Toro's dead character and Wyatt chatting.) Was Tarentino NEEDED for those ten minutes of screen time or was it just another example of the mutual masturbation between the two men as has been going on for some time now.
Apparently Rodriguez once directed a scene in one of Tarantino's movies (Four Rooms?) and Tarantino promised to eventually do the same for Rodriguez.