They're sex-changing X-Men's Angel? WTF? [Nyet, comrades]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Old Plympto wrote:
frigidmagi wrote:You got the name right. Northstar's powers were flight and superspeed. Has well has being gay, he was the token French Canadian on the team.
Wha-? When did Northstar join the team? He was a mutant yes, but I thought he was affiliated with Alpha Flight? (Sorry for asking; I missed a lot of X-Men storylines last couple of years, might have missed this event.)
northstar joined up in uncanny x-men (i think). can't remember the exact storyline. he's also a regular student in ultimate x-men, and apparently never apart of alpha flight.
eh? Thats strange in the last Ultimate X-Men issue I got here in the UK Mr Sinister shot him.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

So, is there any chance a mod could change the topic to add "[No, they're not]" so that people don't get upset and panic before they read the thread? ;)
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Old Plympto wrote:
frigidmagi wrote:You got the name right. Northstar's powers were flight and superspeed. Has well has being gay, he was the token French Canadian on the team.
Wha-? When did Northstar join the team? He was a mutant yes, but I thought he was affiliated with Alpha Flight? (Sorry for asking; I missed a lot of X-Men storylines last couple of years, might have missed this event.)
northstar joined up in uncanny x-men (i think). can't remember the exact storyline. he's also a regular student in ultimate x-men, and apparently never apart of alpha flight.
Yeah, Northstar joined because Jean was going around and forming an emergency team of X-Men for some reason. Afterwards, he stayed on and developed a crush on Bobby.

Pick: The Dark Phoenix Saga is considered one of the best, if not the greatest storylines in X-History, or something like that. But I recall The Phoenix Saga happening before the Dark Phoenix. You see, Jean became the Phoenix after sacrificing herself to save the other X-Men. Add her sacrifice in X2 to what we saw at the end of the movie and it seems obvious what Bryan Singer was going for, before he quit.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

McC wrote:So, is there any chance a mod could change the topic to add "[No, they're not]" so that people don't get upset and panic before they read the thread? ;)
Ta da! 8)
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Much obliged, Aya :)
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Indeed, thanks for the change .... not you, Fox .... no changes!!!!
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

frigidmagi wrote: You got the name right. Northstar's powers were flight and superspeed. Has well has being gay, he was the token French Canadian on the team.
Actually he's one of two token French Canadians, his twin sister
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/a/aurora.htm is the other one.
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

[quote="Rubberanvil]Actually he's one of two token French Canadians, his twin sister
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/a/aurora.htm is the other one.[/quote]

Aurora was never on the Team and therefore cannot serve has their token anything. Which is just has well, the X-Men are filled up with mental cases has is.
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

:banghead: Thought we're shifted over to token French Canadians in Alpha Flight, not X-Men. :oops:
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Tsyroc wrote:I have no problem with Angel being male or female.

As "The Angel" the character has mostly been a pretty charcter so instead of a pretty boy we get a pretty girl.

I have to say I agree almost completely with Stofsk. While Death/Archangel was a bit of fanwank character at times at least he wasn't some bs flying target. The bs being his supposed ability to dodge things like they were always showing him do in the Danger Room. Tucking his wings and etc...

Realisitcally, having big fucking wings is a lame ass super power even if you can fly as fast as the fastest birds. I bet joe six-pack duck hunter will have fun with that big target.

At least DC realized this with Hawkman and Hawkgirl and has been trying to retcon some stuff having to do with the Nth metal so they aren't just a couple of schmoes with wings that any half way decent shot should be able to take out.

Archangel was bad, flew really fucking fast and had a long range weapon to boot. Some of the stuff from X-2 shows that they considered having a version of Archangel as one of the Weapon X projects. I doubt the character would have been as fanwankish as the comic charcter but even with just something adamantiumish being done to his wing would have been a major improvement over the original.
If I remember correctly, Angel doesn't *just* have the wings, even in his original form...he's got superhuman strength (though not on a par with, say, Colossus), enhanced reflexes, can fly at something around Mach 1 (I may be mistaken about the exact speed), and looks damn good in tights...In the comics, at least, he's also a pretty good martial artist. Fists, feet and wings appear to be all he needs in the way of weapons (Yes, feathery wings may not have those weird darts, but have you ever been hit by a trumpet swan? They can break your arm by whacking you with their wing. Now think a wing about three times that span...with superhumanly strong muscles...knocking people through walls would probably not be beyond the realm of possibility.)

On the other hand, he is lighter than a normal human, has almost no body fat, and has partially-hollow bones...so he can be tossed around, can't go long without eating, and it may be easier than normal for him to get broken bones.