Nitpicker's Guide to LOTR

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Nitpicker's Guide to LOTR

Post by Vympel »

Pretty easy to find, I find this interesting for those who haven't read or don't remember the books to see what changes were made:

Link
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Some very interesting things, hell, a lot of that stuff in FotR I had forgotten about.

All in all in many of the variences he whines about the differences and talks about them being "forgivable" in some cases. A very purist way of going about it, but it looks sound from what little of LotR I've read.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

He didn't whine, he simply compiled the list of differences. He only stated that PJ did 4 things he can't agree on, all the rest is just fluff. He does say he enjoys the films, ROTK the least FOTR the most (kinda like me).
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

He does whine a bit in his comparisons. I can do without "And Jackson does this instead...." I can read the differences and come up with my own conclusions and opinions.

Though it's a good resource for what was changed.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Good for a bored teenager. Good resource.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Is it bad if I was reading it and nitpicked things that he'd forgotten to mention?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Mayabird wrote:Is it bad if I was reading it and nitpicked things that he'd forgotten to mention?
No.

I'm surprised he didn't nitpick the visual style- like the absurdity of every Gondor soldier being in plate armour- even fricking archers.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Mayabird wrote:Is it bad if I was reading it and nitpicked things that he'd forgotten to mention?
Not at all, I was doing the same thing, such as "What about Gandalfs letter that the Inn Keeper at the prancing pony is meant to have..." and so on ;)
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

When I and most of my dorm went to see the movies, some of us spent some time classifying the errors as:

1: Laudable - Leaving out Tom Bombadill

2: Forgivable - Leaving the fireworks out of Bilbo's disapearing act.

3: Unforgivable - The vile slanders against Faramir.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yeah, the difference between the books and the movie... hmm.... I honestly think that the movies were better. No Bombadill. Yes, this has been mentioned, but it is quite critical as to much of why I enjoyed FoTR. I was giggling like an idiot when I saw they left him out.

Though to Faramir!?... the horrors...

I still think many of the mistakes went into making it easier to follow, which is mostly forgiveable because Tolkein was ridiculously long-winded (though yes, I did enjoy the books.) I think that there should have been effort to remove silly-stuff though, but eh. It works. I mean, I can remember seeing the animated versions. After that, this trilogy shines like a beacon of the divine.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
unigolyn
Youngling

Post by unigolyn »

Some of those nitpicks are just bizarrely trivial - 'The elves accuse Gimli of breathing loudly, when in fact it was Sam'.

LOTR is my all-time favorite book, but it is no way good literature or even consistently good storytelling, and treating it as holy scripture is ridiculous. It is not a study of 'honor', but a simplistic look at addiction and overcoming fear - no more insightful than any other mythological story (the moral of Prometheus - do not covet advancement lest your liver be consumed daily by a big bird). The plot, such as it is, is simply there to guide the reader through the mythological and linguistic inventions of Tolkien, which is the real reason the book kicks ass, and where it is thoroughly and sometimes incredibly consistent (take the whole hobbit/holbytlan/rohirric thing).

Bombadil - A bearded fruit in yellow boots singing 'Hey dol merry dol'. A pointless (cameo) character who perfectly illustrates the stylistic inconsistency of the book - it obviously started out as Hobbit 2 - Judgment Day. Bombadil, Goldberry, 'Old Man Willow', simplistic plot devices handing out uber-blades. Then, from Bree onwards, it turns into a high fantasy epic (not coincidentally, there were years between writing FOTR pre-Bree and after-Bree). Also, having a character unswayed by the One Ring who is then rationalized away as an obvious Ring-bearer is umm, dumb.

Book Faramir - yaaaawn. Movie Faramir - nearly the best character in the story.

Book Boromir - pompous blowhard. Movie Boromir - best character in the story.

The movie Gimli sucked, as did Legolas - though not because of the much-hated acrobatics - they were reduced to pointless comic relief (then again there's not much room to flesh out all the characters even in 10+ hours).

The only serious gripe I have with the movie is the green snot Army of the Dead - anticlimactic as all hell.

Personally, I have no illusions about the book. I liked it as a kid because kids have horrendously low standards, and don't notice the crap because of the gee-whiz. I still like it because of the incredibly rich, made-up universe it takes place in. The reason the movies work is that Peter Jackson took the all of the gee-whiz he got as a kid and made the story bearable to anyone by cutting out or replacing Tolkien's miscalculations.

Flame away.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Keevan_Colton wrote:
Not at all, I was doing the same thing, such as "What about Gandalfs letter that the Inn Keeper at the prancing pony is meant to have..." and so on ;)
Email him: others have. Nothing wrong with a bit of nitpicking now and then. Christ on a pogo stick, isn't that what we do here half the time anyway?

I agree with most of his gripes. Overall, many of the changes Jackson made did not improve the story enough to justify them or didn't improve it at all... some degraded it. The notable exception to this was of course the the exclusion of Tom Bombadil (the old movie adaption as well as the comic adaptions excluded him also).
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

unigolyn wrote:Personally, I have no illusions about the book. I liked it as a kid because kids have horrendously low standards, and don't notice the crap because of the gee-whiz. I still like it because of the incredibly rich, made-up universe it takes place in. The reason the movies work is that Peter Jackson took the all of the gee-whiz he got as a kid and made the story bearable to anyone by cutting out or replacing Tolkien's miscalculations.

Flame away.
Actually, I think that you're quite right in most respects (I still liked book Faramir though). As I said, hell, I liked the movies better. Tolkein did great things for fantasy literature, but I feel a lot of his actual... works... were in severe need of a an editor. Or something. Just... too... thick? Not in length, but in wordiness. Oh, and it always seemed to me that my favorite parts got severely cut down while ridiculous, overblown scenes took chapters. I'm not really too sure though, I think I read them twice (once to read them for pleasure, the second time to reaffirm that they really weren't that good.):|
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

unigolyn wrote:Personally, I have no illusions about the book. I liked it as a kid because kids have horrendously low standards, and don't notice the crap because of the gee-whiz. I still like it because of the incredibly rich, made-up universe it takes place in. The reason the movies work is that Peter Jackson took the all of the gee-whiz he got as a kid and made the story bearable to anyone by cutting out or replacing Tolkien's miscalculations.

Flame away.
Low standards? Crap? In what sense are the books of low standard? :?
Pick wrote:Actually, I think that you're quite right in most respects (I still liked book Faramir though). As I said, hell, I liked the movies better. Tolkein did great things for fantasy literature, but I feel a lot of his actual... works... were in severe need of a an editor. Or something. Just... too... thick? Not in length, but in wordiness. Oh, and it always seemed to me that my favorite parts got severely cut down while ridiculous, overblown scenes took chapters. I'm not really too sure though, I think I read them twice (once to read them for pleasure, the second time to reaffirm that they really weren't that good.):|
Tsk. Instant gratifaction generation. No patience at all. :P By these arguments Dante's the Divine Comedy and Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur are poor works.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Lord Zentei wrote:
Pick wrote:Actually, I think that you're quite right in most respects (I still liked book Faramir though). As I said, hell, I liked the movies better. Tolkein did great things for fantasy literature, but I feel a lot of his actual... works... were in severe need of a an editor. Or something. Just... too... thick? Not in length, but in wordiness. Oh, and it always seemed to me that my favorite parts got severely cut down while ridiculous, overblown scenes took chapters. I'm not really too sure though, I think I read them twice (once to read them for pleasure, the second time to reaffirm that they really weren't that good.):|
Tsk. Instant gratifaction generation. No patience at all. :P By these arguments Dante's the Divine Comedy and Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur are poor works.
Actually, I loved Dante's Divine Comedy. :luv: And many other slow-paced, and enriching books. Tolkein's just didn't do much for me at its given level of style. I think I am a bit less patient when it comes to fantasy literature, however. :?
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Lord Zentei wrote:

Flame away.
Low standards? Crap? In what sense are the books of low standard? :?
I don't think they mean the books are low standard... just pointing out that, when you're a kid, Barney is cool. Low standards of what is good or not, what a kid is doing reading LotR is beyond me though.
Odd, I'm reading The Inferno right now and enjoying it thoroughly, but I HATE the first half of FotR with a burning passion. The Second half was much better but still wasn't enough to make me eager to read TTT.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Pick wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:Tsk. Instant gratifaction generation. No patience at all. :P By these arguments Dante's the Divine Comedy and Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur are poor works.
Actually, I loved Dante's Divine Comedy. :luv: And many other slow-paced, and enriching books. Tolkein's just didn't do much for me at its given level of style. I think I am a bit less patient when it comes to fantasy literature, however. :?
Well, to me the slow pace of the overall stories contrasted nicely with the fast pace of the battles. The richness of the setting and it's history would have been hard to capture if the pace of the writing were significantly increased, and that mattered a lot IMO. Hence also my reference to Le Morte D'Arthur which is similar in that regard. I guess I gust feel that high fantasy should be more similar to sagas and legends and should not be Hollywood style action hero stuff. YMMV, and all that. ;)

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well I think the point about a pointless signing bearded fruit handing out uber-blades for use against the Witch-King falls under the category of "low standards".
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Ok, c'mon, let's just admit it, the LOTR books were boring. What I don't like about the movie is a lot of stupid eye candy (Legolas ridiculous stunts), but most of the changes were really for the best.

And I still don't get what's up with Faramir. So in the book he's a guy with an unbreakable iron will, and here he's just human? All the people crying for character-rape sound like fanwankers. Worse than Wolverine fans :)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

He's not just human in the film. He's a fucking pussy. He leads his men on a suicide charge just because he has paternal issues and throws all their lives away.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Eh, I don't have a problem with that; Middle ages-style societies have a lot of massively stupid things ordered by superiors and carried out by normally rational people. I see it as being realistic.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You've been reading too much Samurai propaganda son. :P Such things were likely rarer than people of the time would like to admit.

Hell, if you want to get technical, he tried to take a city with cavalry too. More to the point, Gondor/Westernesse wasn't a standard middle age society, in many ways it was far more progressive. Female inheritance (including Ruling Queen laws better than those of the UK) for example.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Slartibartfast wrote:Ok, c'mon, let's just admit it, the LOTR books were boring.
Not my perception at all, you foul heathen.
Slartibartfast wrote:What I don't like about the movie is a lot of stupid eye candy (Legolas ridiculous stunts)
Indeed.
Slartibartfast wrote: but most of the changes were really for the best.
See point nr.1

Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

NecronLord wrote:You've been reading too much Samurai propaganda son. :P Such things were likely rarer than people of the time would like to admit.
Probably. THey did happen, though.
NecronLord wrote:Hell, if you want to get technical, he tried to take a city with cavalry too. More to the point, Gondor/Westernesse wasn't a standard middle age society, in many ways it was far more progressive. Female inheritance (including Ruling Queen laws better than those of the UK) for example.
Hrm. I don't have my LotR at hand, but I thought Gondor never had a ruling queen?
EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

Pcm979 wrote:
NecronLord wrote:You've been reading too much Samurai propaganda son. :P Such things were likely rarer than people of the time would like to admit.
Probably. THey did happen, though.
NecronLord wrote:Hell, if you want to get technical, he tried to take a city with cavalry too. More to the point, Gondor/Westernesse wasn't a standard middle age society, in many ways it was far more progressive. Female inheritance (including Ruling Queen laws better than those of the UK) for example.
Hrm. I don't have my LotR at hand, but I thought Gondor never had a ruling queen?
You are absolutley correct. Of all the Queens of Gondor, noner ruled in thier own right. However, There were three Queens of Numenor who ruled in thier own right.