Proton Torpedoes

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Proton Torpedoes

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Let's discuss yields, there has been many different attempts to calculate the yields of these strange weapons, well I decided to see how much energy the weapon would have to impart per cm^2 in order to equal a turbolaser blast.
I scaled a proton torpedoe to be about 40cm in diameter around it's base(from ANH).

A turbolaser normally does it's damage in a 1m circular area(many sources claim thats the width of a TL), for a 200GT TL we get:
200GT turbolaser: 25MT per cm^2

A Proton with no focusing impacting over a 40cm in diameter circular area:
100MT Proton: 0.008MT per cm^2
10GT Proton: 8Mt per cm^2
30GT Proton: 23MT per cm^2

With a 30 degree focusing of firepower(I believe was stated for another missile weapon, so I am applying that to the proton):
100MT Proton: 0.7MT per cm^2
500MT Proton: 3.2MT per cm^2
1GT Proton: 6.5MT per cm^2
2GT Proton: 13MT per cm^2
4GT Proton: 26MT per cm^2

So it seems to me that a proton torpedo has to be atleast 4GT and focus it's firepower in a 30 degree cone in order to impart as much energy per cm^2 as a TL.
And I do believe it's said that protons are focused weapons, this might be why it's so powerfull despite it's smaller yield.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

So it seems to me that a proton torpedo has to be atleast 4GT and focus it's firepower in a 30 degree cone in order to impart as much energy per cm^2 as a TL.
HTL, if you please. Remember to strive for accuracy in every respect. Keeps your opponents from nitpicking you to death.
The Great and Malignant
Dead on Arrival
Youngling

Post by Dead on Arrival »

A turbolaser normally does it's damage in a 1m circular area(many sources claim thats the width of a TL),
What sources might those be? I could see the MT-yield weapons being that small, but the HTL-bolt we saw in RoTJ has a significantly larger area than 1m. :D
Appointed Spacebattles Deity of the Fiver Resistance Army
"All the firepower in the universe cannot stop the coming storm..."
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Well, the problem with scaling turbolaser strength based on the size of the bolt is that we don't know how much of it is actual bolt, and how much is merely luminosity. Further, we don't know if the "glow" is directly related to how strong the blast is or if it dissipates after leaving the barrel without weakening the shot itself.
The Great and Malignant
Sith God
Village Idiot

proton torpedoes

Post by Sith God »

they can blow up an isd just two of them weg says so i know its true so capital ships are a waste of material in the sw universe thats why the rebels win every time isd's cant defend themselves and the rebels or nr just are superios
His Divine Shadow

Dead on Arrival wrote:What sources might those be? I could see the MT-yield weapons being that small, but the HTL-bolt we saw in RoTJ has a significantly larger area than 1m. :D
Bolt with glow, hard to calculate size, it is.
Stated figure, so much better.
"The laser beam, a meter thick, flashed from the depths of space to strike Tsavong Lah's worldship"
His Divine Shadow

Re: proton torpedoes

Sith God wrote:they can blow up an isd just two of them weg says so i know its true so capital ships are a waste of material in the sw universe thats why the rebels win every time isd's cant defend themselves and the rebels or nr just are superios
'

If you're just going to post incoherent bullshit... don't.
Sith God
Village Idiot

torpedoes

Post by Sith God »

oh come on now they did a strike cruiser that way in one of those x-wing books wedge and his boys blew it in half and there were only 12 of them come on dont you like the eu stuff
His Divine Shadow

Re: torpedoes

Sith God wrote:oh come on now they did a strike cruiser that way in one of those x-wing books wedge and his boys blew it in half and there were only 12 of them come on dont you like the eu stuff
Wedge and his boys do alot of stuff thats nigh impossible.
Sith God
Village Idiot

so what are you saying

Post by Sith God »

if they can trash a strike cruiser according to the world of the eu they could do an isd the same way right?
His Divine Shadow

Re: so what are you saying

Sith God wrote:if they can trash a strike cruiser according to the world of the eu they could do an isd the same way right?
Why should they?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Re: so what are you saying

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Sith God wrote:if they can trash a strike cruiser according to the world of the eu they could do an isd the same way right?

No. Strike Cruisers have weaker shields and weaker hulls and their hulls break apart easily due to their modulale hull.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The ability to adapt weakens the hull and is their greatest weakness
Einhander Snoman
Redshirt
Location: Captain's Chair of the Templara Jaya, largest and most powerful starship among the galaxies!

Sith Gawd! Looka this!

Post by Einhander Snoman »

http://www.stardestroyer.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=162
P|-|34R /\/\'/ 31337 R41|_! (Sorry guys, but maybe he'll understand 1337 H4x0r sp33|<... To make it up to ya, here's a link to Jeff K! http://www.somethingawful.co*/askjeffk/ ) Lata and GooD GamE!
"Ever saw the Templara Jaya? She's 16000 kilometers long, crewed by twenty billion, and can vaporize a planet the size of Jupiter. She's yours now!"
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The weird stuff you are on is making your posting weird.