"More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine"

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

"More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine"

Post by Lord Poe »

That quote make a whole lot of sense now.

In AOTC, the Sith are able to cloud the Force to the Jedi, even so far as to
not let them peer too clearly into the future. I think this is exactly what
Kenobi meant in ANH, but in reverse. Working within the Force, he was able
to cloud Palpatine's foresight, where he was unable to forsee Luke
Skywalker's fate, or Vader's treachery. The Emperor even found it "strange"
that he couldn't detect Skywalker, while Vader could.

Vader HAD to feel Luke's presence, had to still have that father/son
interaction. It was essential to push Anakin into destroying the Emperor,
and it being a complete surprise to Palpatine.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

A curious thought. I shall unintentionally ponder this, probably while in the shower.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That probably sounds like more than people need to know. I was simply suggesting that the idea would be on the back burner in my mind and would probably come up at a totally meaningless time when I was doing nothing specific. Oh well.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Oooh that would have to be one of the best explainations I have ever heard! :wink:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I don't think that was explained before. It's something to think about.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

It actually does make sense.

Visualize the force as a sort of enormous, Internet-like network consisting of a near-infinite number of individual lifeforces (or whatever terminology seems comfortable). Each little microbe contributes an infinitesimally tiny spark to the network, and larger creatures have a correspondingly larger presence. Then go totally old-fashioned cyberpunk with the idea.

Kenobi purposely uploads himself into the Force's network or matrix, but maintains coherence as an individual. However, this individual consciousness is stored in the matrix in a holgraphic manner, spread more or less evenly throughout the matrix. Being plugged in directly, albeit in a tiny way, into everything touched by the Force, Kenobi can then nudge things this way or that in small ways. That way, Kenobi can cloud Palpatine's prescience and perhaps encourage things to happen the way he thinks they should.

However, each time any life force is extinguished, even that of a bacterium, an infinitesimally tiny portion of Kenobi's holographically stored consciousness disappears, making the consciousness as a whole get fuzzier. At some point, Kenobi just fades away, along with Yoda and Anakin.

It might also explain how Palpatine managed to cloud the prescience of the Jedi Council. Somewhere in his secret supervillain lair, Palpatine conducts a massive sacrifice of Dark Side adepts hoping to become Sith apprentices, binding their life forces to the task of maintaining a protective cloud of darkness over all of Palpy's activities. After a few years, the less powerful consciousnesses of the Dark Side adepts fade away, no longer needed.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

That's why I think that AotC was the greatest of all the SW movies. It tied the entire series together. I had not thought of that, Mr. Poe, but I had considered how Kenobi had done after Vader had "killed" him on the DS. I think that is a VERY good theory, and it implies that Kenobi was also a man of destiny, or perhaps, that Yoda was.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Very Intresting idea, I shall ponder this

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Interesting...
JADAFETWA
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Maybe that's why you never see anyone else other than Yoda or Kenobi or Anakin as ghosts; because all of the old Jedi (and Sith?) faded away after all of those years between Episode Three and ANH, but those three just died and still had some time to do things as those ghost thingies.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Oh yeah, plus this:

"It might also explain how Palpatine managed to cloud the prescience of the Jedi Council. Somewhere in his secret supervillain lair, Palpatine conducts a massive sacrifice of Dark Side adepts hoping to become Sith apprentices, binding their life forces to the task of maintaining a protective cloud of darkness over all of Palpy's activities. After a few years, the less powerful consciousnesses of the Dark Side adepts fade away, no longer needed."

I don't think he needed them because he had Maul. :twisted:
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I always thought Kenobi meant "If you strike me down, I'll become the corporate CEO of Microsoft!"
The Great and Malignant
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

More ties between the movies

Post by Tsyroc »

[quote="Master of Ossus"]That's why I think that AotC was the greatest of all the SW movies. It tied the entire series together. I had not thought of that, Mr. Poe, but I had considered how Kenobi had done after Vader had "killed" him on the DS. I think that is a VERY good theory, and it implies that Kenobi was also a man of destiny, or perhaps, that Yoda was.[/quote]

In the novelization of AOTC while Yoda is probing the Dark Side he briefly hears Qui Gon's voice yelling at Anakin to stop when he's wacking all the Sanpeople. I think this may be something that gave Yoda the idea that a person could retain their sense of self after joining with the Force. Qui Gon's voice is briefly heard in the movie but the novelization deals with this with a little more detail.

I don't remember where but I thought I read that Obi Wan learns how to pull his disappearing trick from Yoda but I don't have the specifics.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I had heard that, too, of Obi-Wan's disappearing trick. Yoda also did it in RotJ. Lucas has promised us that in Episode III he will explain why some Jedi disappear and others do not. BTW, there did not appear to be anywhere near the number of bodies on Geonosis as one might have expected..... Perhaps the Jedi were disappearing in numbers never before seen? But none of that is shown on camera, and is purely speculative.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

MoS, I believe this was simply caused by the need to get rating lower than PG13 or it was simply a mistake on Lucas' behalf.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Clone trooper fire could have vaped some of them, there was also not enough battle droid debries for the number being destroyed.

Edited for spelling, I'm bored. ~ David
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956