How many cruisers did the Rebels have at Endor?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

How many cruisers did the Rebels have at Endor?

Post by Mr. B »

I counted less than a dozon really big ships. And the Empire had atleast 20 SDs plus the SSD.

Even after they lost the DS they still should have lost because of sheer weight of numbers.

And why were their cargo ships in the rebel fleet.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I would guess between 10 and 15 Mon Calamari cruisers (not all the big ones, some light cruisers, too), and the support ships.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Some people (Such as Robert Brown) have proposed that the cargo ships were loaded with (90,000 metric tons is the ship's stated capacity)explosives, abandoned, and set into capital ship hulls.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

There ya go, the EU says they're cargo ships, yet they're at a fleet battle. If we watch and slow down the frames, we'll probably see some laser fire come from them.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

You can mount weapons to Cargo ships fokes..

Oh and your forget Mr B. That tweleve to fifteen of the SD where attacking as a screen force incase the rebels tried to run. That and if you read the EU Thrawn Triology you get a better idea how the Rebels managed to win

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Mr Bean wrote: You can mount weapons to Cargo ships fokes..

Oh and your forget Mr B. That tweleve to fifteen of the SD where attacking as a screen force incase the rebels tried to run. That and if you read the EU Thrawn Triology you get a better idea how the Rebels managed to win
We all know why the SDs didn't attack and I have read the Thrawn trilogy and that after losing the SSD the chaos that insued and the destruction of the DS all contributed to the Empire running away.

But they still had more ships.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The ROTJ novel provided the most satisfactory account of the Battle of Endor in my view. Unfortunately, the movie didn't live up to the account. The rebel fleet you see on screen is PATHETIC, and I'm sure a lot of my fellow warsies feel that if GL is gonna mess with the OT *ONE MORE TIME* (are these rumors true btw?) then he absolutely must dazzle up the Battle of Endor:

Two rebel cruisers, one frigate, a few Gallofree medium transports, a few corellian corvettes, and about two dozen fighters defeat several ISD squadrons. I didn't believe it when I was six, and I don't believe it now. A jazzing up with some extra ships and action is the only good thing that could come out of GL messing with the OT for the DVD release. Oh, that and getting rid of the Greedo blaster shot of course. 8) GL made a step in the right direction at the end of the SE, when you see the glowing engines of the Rebel fleet, many more ships than you see at any other point in the movie.

The funny thing is the only game to date that attempts to tackle Endor, (unless Gamecube Rogue Leader attempts it?), X-Wing Alliance, doesn't do much better. Four cruisers, two frigates, a few corvettes, a single assault frigate (modified dreadnought) and a bulk cruiser. So sad. the Imp fleet was 36 Star Destroyers and the Executor, though only a fraction of those Star Destroyers were actually 'real'. The rest were painted on the starfield.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Vympel wrote:The ROTJ novel provided the most satisfactory account of the Battle of Endor in my view. Unfortunately, the movie didn't live up to the account. The rebel fleet you see on screen is PATHETIC, and I'm sure a lot of my fellow warsies feel that if GL is gonna mess with the OT *ONE MORE TIME* (are these rumors true btw?) then he absolutely must dazzle up the Battle of Endor:

Two rebel cruisers, one frigate, a few Gallofree medium transports, a few corellian corvettes, and about two dozen fighters defeat several ISD squadrons. I didn't believe it when I was six, and I don't believe it now. A jazzing up with some extra ships and action is the only good thing that could come out of GL messing with the OT for the DVD release. Oh, that and getting rid of the Greedo blaster shot of course. 8) GL made a step in the right direction at the end of the SE, when you see the glowing engines of the Rebel fleet, many more ships than you see at any other point in the movie.

The funny thing is the only game to date that attempts to tackle Endor, (unless Gamecube Rogue Leader attempts it?), X-Wing Alliance, doesn't do much better. Four cruisers, two frigates, a few corvettes, a single assault frigate (modified dreadnought) and a bulk cruiser. So sad. the Imp fleet was 36 Star Destroyers and the Executor, though only a fraction of those Star Destroyers were actually 'real'. The rest were painted on the starfield.
While playing that battle I lost all respect for everyone who died outside the DS and gained new respect for everyone who survived going through the DS.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."

When Lando and Wedge escape from the Star, you could see a lot of Rebel Ships.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

The ROTJ:SE does add more ships.
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/given/battle3.jpg

I count at least 4 frigates right there.

And as for big Rebel capships at Endor, according to Dr. Saxton,
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/mcc.html#listobservations

"In summary, there was at least one cruiser of Home One type, another example may have survived past Executor's demise, and there may have been a third sibling disintegrated early by the Death Star II. There were at least two of the winged Liberty type, and at least one was destroyed. There were at least four of the [anonymous wingless] type, of which at least two survived the Battle of Endor." This means that the Rebels had 3 huge 3000m cruisers, and at least 6 of the 1200-1300m "cruisers."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

My count a few years ago was 4 Liberty-class CL, 2 MC80-type CL, 2 Home One-type BCs. There were numerous corvettes and fireships.

There was at least one Nebulon-B FF, and a similar-looking (but much larger) ship (formed by an EFX glitch, but I'm counting it as a new ship). I tentatively classified that as a CVE.

In total, there seemed to be about 29 capital ships that survived the Battle of Endor, of unknown composition.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Empire fielded approximately 24 ISDs of varying types, one Executor-class BC and one communications/EW cruiser not seen on film.

Excluding the DS2, the two fleets were almost even.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

phongn wrote:The Empire fielded approximately 24 ISDs of varying types, one Executor-class BC and one communications/EW cruiser not seen on film.

Or about one sector fleet.

Excluding the DS2, the two fleets were almost even.

Where the hell did you get that?????
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

As I said, the SE did add a few extra ships, most obviously when the MF bursts out of the DS innards, but its still entirely unsatisfactory. Not nearly enough cruisers to make a defeat of such a large number of SDs possible IMHO.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Well after the Executor and the DS went down as well as the communications vessel the fleet probably lost co-ordination big time which could explain how a smaller number of ships could win. I mean when someone who wasn't even a captain at that point (Pellaeon) ended up in command the fleet is fucked.

And I always thought there was like 50 ISDs there at least but I never counted.