Qhat do you think the populations of SW planets are?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Qhat do you think the populations of SW planets are?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'd say 500 trillion for Coruscant, 30 billion for Alderran, 35 million for Bespin (with many cloud cities), and 10 billion for Kamino. What are you estimates?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

500 Trillion? A little high maybe 100 Trillion I'm guessing

A nice statment to back it up
I'll post more if I remeber it

Heir to Emipre
Luke-Hmm a Few Million huh? Relitvily unpoplated then

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The populations should range, but Alderaan probably never had more than 15-25 billion people on it. I imagine that it also has to do with what you count as a person. Do you have to be fully sentient to count in the planetary census, or do you just have to be intelligent? What if you are sentient but cannot speak? Such issues would need to be dealt with. Perhaps there is some kind of racist 3/5 compromise going on, or perhaps there are guidelines that must be followed to either qualify as a being or as a non-being.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

1 trillion for Coruscant, and that's from the SW guide to planets.

One trillion would be low for Coruscant, since a large part of the planetary surface is covered by kilometer-tall buildings, and estimates by Saxton and Wong give it a population in the hundredsd of trillions.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

It doesn't matter what their estimates are, there is no question what the official figure is.
Aaron2
Youngling

ATOC

Post by Aaron2 »

> 1 trillion for Coruscant, and that's from the SW guide to planets.

Wasn't the SW Guide to Planets written before AOTC came out? If so, then its "official" number needs to be re-evaluated in light of new movie evidence.

Just like how AOTC invalidated the "holonet".

Aaron
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

ATOC invildated Holonet?

Not realy your forggeting the fact its what 20 Years before the ANH's time they could have built such a thing by then.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I think David is refering to the book Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode I, which was published in 2000, and not The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons from 1998.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Aaron2
Youngling

Holonet

Post by Aaron2 »

- Not realy your forggeting the fact its what 20 Years before the ANH's time they could have built such a
- thing by then.

The whole point of the holonet was that it was once thought that a ship could only transmit signals a couple of light years, hence the need for a network of relay station (www.starwars.com still maintains this claim. Don't they watch the movies?). However, AOTC shows that even a tiny fighter like Obi-wan's has enough power normally to transmit a signal from the outer rim directly to Coruscant. Thus the holonet isn't needed.
The holonet may exists, but its purpose can no longer be the sole means of interstellar communication.

Aaron
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

I remember Mon Calamari had a population of something like 20 billion.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Unfortunately the AOTC:ICS describes on the site about the Jedi-Starfighter, that Obi-Wan used a relay-station in the system of Geonosis. Nothing with galaxy-wide holonet.

One trillion people on Coruscant, hmm?

10^12 or 10^18?
Aaron2
Youngling

Post by Aaron2 »

- Unfortunately the AOTC:ICS describes on the site about the Jedi-Starfighter, that Obi-Wan used a
- relay-station in the system of Geonosis. Nothing with galaxy-wide holonet.

Just one of many goof-up in the AOTC:ICS. This section was obviously written before the movie was finished. The drawing doesn't include the transmitter and puts important ship components in what turns out to be the cargo hold. If Obi-wan really was using a "relay-station" in Geonosis, why could he reach Naboo and not Coruscant? Why did he mention that his "long range transmitter" wasn't working?

Aaron
Executor
Youngling

Post by Executor »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:I remember Mon Calamari had a population of something like 20 billion.
11 billion Mon Calamari, 16.5 Billion Quarren

Some others.

Kuat=61 billion on planet 35 billion workers living in spacedocks.
Byblos=164 billion.
Byss=19.7 billion.
Nar Shaddaa= 72.1-94.7 billion.
Nal Hutta=3 billion Hutts, 4 billion other
Corellia=16.5 billion
Drall=14 million
Selonia=16 million
Bespin=4 billion
Dagobah=0 (after yoda dies)
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Aaron2 wrote:- Unfortunately the AOTC:ICS describes on the site about the Jedi-Starfighter, that Obi-Wan used a
- relay-station in the system of Geonosis. Nothing with galaxy-wide holonet.

Just one of many goof-up in the AOTC:ICS. This section was obviously written before the movie was finished. The drawing doesn't include the transmitter and puts important ship components in what turns out to be the cargo hold. If Obi-wan really was using a "relay-station" in Geonosis, why could he reach Naboo and not Coruscant? Why did he mention that his "long range transmitter" wasn't working?

Aaron
You have a point there (just took a look into the novel). I just hope, that the 200 Gigatons of the Acclamator are no goof-up :D

About the inhabitans of Kuat:
35 billions living in the docks. Do we know the crew of the average dock, so we can make a guess on the number of docks?
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

FTeik wrote:
I just hope, that the 200 Gigatons of the Acclamator are no goof-up :D
Careful. Say that in the precense of certain people, ie. rabid trekkies (eg. user099), and you'll soon have all the Trekkies in the world finally having a "reason" to ignore all those fabulous numbers in the ICS. Of course it will be a nitpick attack, but since when did that stop a rabid Trekkie?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Executor
Youngling

Post by Executor »

FTeik wrote:[

About the inhabitans of Kuat:
35 billions living in the docks. Do we know the crew of the average dock, so we can make a guess on the number of docks?
Theres nohing thats states the crew of a dock but the book (Platts Starport Guide) does state that the spacedocks surround or orbit the entire system. So I would imagine there quite a few.

Back to the subject of world populations, there are some non-canon planets, such as Eriadu and Bonadan, are described as being "very polluted" in SWEGPM. I'd put their populations at 200 billion and 100 billion respectively. Tattoine has had it's population stated at 200,000 in one source, but I think that is a little low, unless it only counts humans. With Jawas and Tusken Raiders, I'd say the population is double that. Once again, this is just my opinion, and I might be misguided.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Thyferra: 10,000 human, 2.8 million Vratix (The Bacta WAr)
JADAFETWA
Executor
Youngling

Post by Executor »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Back to the subject of world populations, there are some non-canon planets, such as Eriadu and Bonadan, are described as being "very polluted" in SWEGPM. I'd put their populations at 200 billion and 100 billion respectively. Tattoine has had it's population stated at 200,000 in one source, but I think that is a little low, unless it only counts humans. With Jawas and Tusken Raiders, I'd say the population is double that. Once again, this is just my opinion, and I might be misguided.
The RPG gives lots of figures, but they are both contradict thereself, and as with the rest of the RPG make the SW universe seem a much maller place.

Heres some more.

Coruscant=10 billion(prior to battle of endor)
Bespin=6 million
Endor=10 million
Tatooine=50,000-80,000
All the Above from theTriliogy Sourcebook(WEG)

Abregado-rae=40 million
Berchest=3 billion
Bespin=4 billion
Bilbringi=12 million
Bimmisaari=28 million
Bpfassh=50 million
Chazwa=3.5 billion
Coruscant=5 billion(prior to New Republic takeover)
Crondre=2,000 (planet) 800 (Golan II)
Dolomar=1.5 billion
Elom=150million
Endor=10 million
Farrfin=6 billion
Flive=6 billion
Generis=2,000
Jomark=2.8 million
Kashyyyk=45 million
Mrisst=3.5 billion(mrissi), 6 billion(students)
Myrkr=100,000
New Cov=90 million
Obrai-Skai=73 million

Some out of the Thraw triliogy sourcbook.
The Dark Empire sourcebook give Coruscant population as 807 million
The Jedi Academy Sourcebook gives Carida, which is meant to be a big Imperial Military academy only a population of 25 million. Looking at the ones above quite a few of the million figure worlds are actually howworlds to that species, surley they would be alot more? I can post some more if anyone wants them.

Lee
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

2000AD wrote:
FTeik wrote:
I just hope, that the 200 Gigatons of the Acclamator are no goof-up :D
Careful. Say that in the precense of certain people, ie. rabid trekkies (eg. user099), and you'll soon have all the Trekkies in the world finally having a "reason" to ignore all those fabulous numbers in the ICS. Of course it will be a nitpick attack, but since when did that stop a rabid Trekkie?

Don´t tell that me, but the guy who claimed the AotC:ICS to be full of "goof-ups" in the first place :lol:

If even i was able to realize the implications of this comment ...