Clueless about The New Jedi Order

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Clueless about The New Jedi Order

Post by Mr. B »

Could someone fill me in on the New Jedi Order books?
I havn't read them and i want to know if they are worth buying.

And answer these questions:
Who are the Vong?
When did luke and mara marry?
What about the Empire?
Are they good books
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

1. The Yuuzhan Vong are an extra-galactic species that is suffering from stagnant technology. There are 6 levels of knowledge, and the core of the Yuuzhan belief is that the 6 levels were granted by the Gods. Unfortnately, the "Gods" have stopped granting the Yuuzhan knowledge, so they're searching for new technology. In addition, they've been forced to leave their home galaxy by overcrowding or some other event, so they're spreading into the Star Wars galaxy.

2. Luke and Mara married at the end of Vision of the Future.

3. For a better grasp of the Empire, skip the NJO up to this point and read Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future.

4. Yes, for the most part. There are some stinkers which have unrealistic characterizations, but the series' big event so far has taken place in Star By Star, in an epic 300 page battle for Coruscant.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

As to #3, Dark Tide 2:Ruin is a good book to get some Imperial action.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

You can begin the NJO with SbS actually, it does a good job of helping a reader who has not read the NJO before to come up to speed, it is also quite good IMHO.

The duology Enemy Lines(Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand) are two of the best books I have ever read, they are up there with Zahn's works IMHO.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Luceno's books Agents of Chaos duology are incrediable, but they really focus more on Han Solo rather than the galaxy itself. But it really has a in your seat flip the page kind of reading. Allston's duology Enemy Lines is really good.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

And you can just skip Dark Journey if you want.

It's all about Jaina turning to the Dark Side, and by the end she's on the verge.

The next book totally ignore DJ and she's good again. Most pointless book in the whole series.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

If you don't want to read about the nasty deaths of Chewy and Anakin, STAY WAY AWAY!

Because different writers are doing the work, you might not like some and like others.
JADAFETWA
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Poor, poort Shadow...

Post by Master of Ossus »

I feel sorry for His Divine Shadow if he thinks that Rebel Stand and Rebel Dream were some of the best books he has ever read. Not only was SbS FAAAAAR better, but there are books even better than that one! If any of you have read Lord of the Flies, The Inheritors, or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest then that should be abundantly obvious. I have, for the most part, found buying books in the NJO to be an abysmally risky venture because about half of them tend to be reasonably well written. You should definitely invest the twenty-five bucks for Star by Star, but you should probably pass on the others.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Thanks to all for your help.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I thought Lord of the Flies had a rather anti-climactic ending.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

My main problem with the NJO is that it has just dragged on for far too long! I am starting to loose interest with the few good books in it being too few and far between!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

And Luke and Mara have a child.

I've read a few of the books, and I thought they were good reads, but I'd like it if they wrote some 1500-page SW book.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB