My instruments tell us our speed is decreasing…… Ahsoka Part 7 SPOILERS

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

My instruments tell us our speed is decreasing…… Ahsoka Part 7 SPOILERS

Post by Maximum7 »

I was confused when Huyang said that their speed was decreasing in hyperspace. I know hyperdrives (or their organic Purgill analogs) have speed ratings. The Millennium Falcon is the fastest at Class 0.5. Most military ships have a Class 1 hyperdrive. Most civilian ships are Class 4 (quite slow) and a bunch of ships inbetween these numbers. That’s fine BUT I always assumed that when you’re in hyperspace; you’re constantly accelerating with infinite energy until you reach your destination and return to the regular space-time continuum. How can you slow down before stopping?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: My instruments tell us our speed is decreasing…… Ahsoka Part 7 SPOILERS

Post by Batman »

There is literally NOTHING supporting the idea that Wars ships are continually accelerating when under hyperdrive, the 'CLASS' rating thing is from RPGs which is contradicted by practically everything, why SHOULDN'T they be able to vary speed while in hyperspace?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Well the class ratings are also in sourcebooks and (very rarely) novels

In order to move FTL you need infinite energy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-sourcebook means it's RPG material. What do ou think sourcebooks are FOR?
In order to move FTL you need a set of laws of physics other than the real world, where you simply CANNOT move FTL.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Batman wrote: 2023-09-29 06:53pm Um-sourcebook means it's RPG material. What do ou think sourcebooks are FOR?
In order to move FTL you need a set of laws of physics other than the real world, where you simply CANNOT move FTL.
I was thinking more like the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Incredible Cross-Sections not RPG Sourcebooks

I once read that to move FTL; you’d have to have infinite energy. I always assumed when you break the light barrier; you have infinite energy for a second like an infinite singularity and when in the simu-tunnel hyperspace tunnel the rules tend to go out the window
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

In the real world, you'd need infinite energy (like, literally infinite) to move any nonzero mass AT lightspeed, moving FTL SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK. Moving FTL requires a set of laws of physics different from the one we're used to, any predictions on how that would work would have to come from within the narrative. Since in Wars pretty much EVERYTHING can go FTL yet A-Wings aren't routinely used as planetkillers, I doubt they can generate infinite energy (the logical impossibility of that notwithstanding). Wars FTL works...however it works.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Have the class ratings even been mentioned in the current EU ?

Even if it has been, all we know is that lower numbers mean they get to their destination faster. We don't know if that's because of their top speed (which they would have to accelerate to reach) or because they are constantly accelerating. Well, not until this episode of Ashoka where we found out that the switch to deceleration came close to the end of the trip.

Two other points:
- The space whales hyperspace might not operate like mechanical hyperdrives. For example, having lesser acceleration because they can't withstand the g-forces as well as a ship with intertial compensators.
- We are talking about an intergalactic trip here. Higher top speeds likely mean more time accelerating and decelerating.