[TV Series] Ahsoka Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers!]

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

RogueIce
_______

[TV Series] Ahsoka Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers!]

Post by RogueIce »

First two episodes are out. A great way to start things, I think it works for both fans of Rebels who will appreciate the little continuity bits strewn about while also leaving enough for 'new' fans to pick things up, as well as implied backstory we didn't get in the show (whatever happened between Ahsoka and Sabine).

Lots of people seem perturbed by Sabine being Ahsoka's "Padawan" and that this makes her Force-sensitive, but...I think that conversation between her and Huyang in episode 2 is that she doesn't have the Force sensitivity of a "true" Jedi, even a Padawan. I think what we're liable to see is that there's more to being "Jedi" than just your skill at levitating rocks. Just like there's a lot of ways of using the Force outside of the Jedi. Sure, if we see her doing TK that'll be A Thing, but so far I'm not seeing the issue here.

In other news, explicit confirmation that a) they are recycling, not just scrapping old Imperial hardware and b) that at least some of those recycled resources are going into "new ships for the Defense Fleet" according to Hera herself. Suck it, New Republic doubters! :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: [TV Series] Ahsoka Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers!]

Post by Solauren »

RogueIce wrote: 2023-08-22 11:10pm In other news, explicit confirmation that a) they are recycling, not just scrapping old Imperial hardware and b) that at least some of those recycled resources are going into "new ships for the Defense Fleet" according to Hera herself. Suck it, New Republic doubters! :D
That makes way more sense. Calling it 'Imperial Technology' doesn't make sense. Technology is technology unless it's completely alien to your tech base (i.e the Vong in Legends). However, calling it 'Imperial Designs', makes way more sense.

Take apart a Star Destroyer, it's just a collection of parts and materials. It's no like the computers or weapons on a Star Destroyer were some how wired 'evil', right?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-08-23 08:13am It's no like the computers or weapons on a Star Destroyer were some how wired 'evil', right?
Just make sure there aren't any backdoors in there that someone might exploit.
RogueIce wrote: 2023-08-22 11:10pmIn other news, explicit confirmation that a) they are recycling, not just scrapping old Imperial hardware and b) that at least some of those recycled resources are going into "new ships for the Defense Fleet" according to Hera herself. Suck it, New Republic doubters! :D
Yet they were still scrapping a lot of the stuff from them on Coruscant.

So my guess is that Coruscant is the most visible salvage operation. The one most prone to political meddling. While out at major shipyards, profit steers decision making.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-23 10:40am
Solauren wrote: 2023-08-23 08:13am It's no like the computers or weapons on a Star Destroyer were some how wired 'evil', right?
ala the 'Emperor's Hand' code from the Hand of Thrawn trilogy? Yeah, those would need to be located and blocked.
It also depends on what part of the computer system was used. Dummy stations should be fine. The computer core and operating system would be highly suspect.

So, plug R2D2 into one, and let him figure them out. :)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Hand of Thrawn' was the Spectre of the Past/Visions of the Future duology. You're thinking of the original Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Solauren wrote: 2023-08-23 05:32pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-23 10:40am
ala the 'Emperor's Hand' code from the Hand of Thrawn trilogy? Yeah, those would need to be located and blocked.
It also depends on what part of the computer system was used. Dummy stations should be fine. The computer core and operating system would be highly suspect.

So, plug R2D2 into one, and let him figure them out. :)
OS would probably be suspect but unless the backdoor is a ROM chip I suspect a full wipe and reformat would allow computer core to be reused just fine.

Also I suspect that the Rebel Alliance/New Republic would have fairly extensive experience in making imperial hardware safe to use as they probably had to employ material captured from imperial sources a lot during the pre-Endor times, due to not having manufacture on a scale for a galaxy wide war.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The way that backdoor was described in TTT it very much DID sound like something hardwired into the system so a wipe wouldn't do bupkis. Of course we're talking about lifting a computer core from one ship (typically, an ISD) and mounting it in a completely different one (a Mon Cal Cruiser or whatever else the NR uses in that size class) so those hardwired 'let the bad guys hack the system' protocols might run into a lot of dead ends when a lot of the hardware they're supposed to manipulate simply doesn't EXIST.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

The Starhawk class battleship was designed from the get-go to be built from Imperial parts; specifically from ISDs. Presumably the plan was to either use stolen Imperial parts, or to dismantle captured ISDs that weren't in an immediately useful condition. My headcanon is that the Mark 1 used ISD parts and the Mark 2 was designed to be scratch built, but I don't have any evidence for it.

In other news, the ancient extra-galactic aliens are causing a real stir online. All we have on them for now is that they came from another galaxy, and had some connection to the Nightsisters. This is charitably assuming that Elsbeth is not, as Baylan seemed to imply, delusional.

One theory holds that the aliens are the Zeffo from Fallen Order. That would fit the Nightsister connection; and some of the imagery fits too. The map itself is reminiscent of those Zeffo spheres, while the imagery in the chamber shows some similarity to Zeffo art.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Batman wrote: 2023-08-23 07:33pm The way that backdoor was described in TTT it very much DID sound like something hardwired into the system so a wipe wouldn't do bupkis. Of course we're talking about lifting a computer core from one ship (typically, an ISD) and mounting it in a completely different one (a Mon Cal Cruiser or whatever else the NR uses in that size class) so those hardwired 'let the bad guys hack the system' protocols might run into a lot of dead ends when a lot of the hardware they're supposed to manipulate simply doesn't EXIST.
I think it's safe to say that computer technology in SW probably either works along different principles or simply... does not work the same way ours does. It may very well be possible to hardware-lock certain codes or something in their processor architecture, whatever.

Regarding the show: mostly positive so far. It's pretty. There's not a huge amount of plot so far, and all the characters are a bit stiff except Hera. Someone observed on the Discord that Filoni is basically emulating Lucas' direction, and I don't think they're wrong. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.

It does feel like you'll miss stuff if you haven't watched Rebels (I've only watched a few episodes)-- *but* I think they do give you enough information/history that you know what you need to know for this show. And that's the important thing, I guess.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Having seen all of Rebels I can't really say how much NOT having done so would affect one's understanding of Ahsoka, but so far I can't see any Rebels knowledge that would be really required to understand it. There may have been some extra enjoyment for Rebels regulars (like the Phantom and Chopper being back) but nothing really necessary to make it work.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Batman wrote: 2023-08-24 07:27pm Having seen all of Rebels I can't really say how much NOT having done so would affect one's understanding of Ahsoka, but so far I can't see any Rebels knowledge that would be really required to understand it. There may have been some extra enjoyment for Rebels regulars (like the Phantom and Chopper being back) but nothing really necessary to make it work.
That is basically my point, yes. And that's a nice bit of writing by Filoni et al, to pull a show that draws heavily upon one that came before it... but not *depending* on the viewer having watched that show before. It does require a certain amount of knowledge, but not much more than 'Jedi are Force users, Ahsoka Tano escaped the Jedi Purge, she and Hera and Sabine have a history together'... some of which is baseline pop culture, some of which is easily deducted from the show itself. People who watched Mandalorian will have seen Ahsoka in that show; people who haven't... won't be *too* confused. I don't think.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I've read some Rebels summaries, seen the odd SFDebris of Clone Wars episodes that's the limit of my Disney Star Wars Tv knowledge. I found the plot perfectly comprehensible. I know who the characters are etc.

It's the 'giving a shit' part where the show's failing me as a new comer because I don't know why exactly I should give a shit about Ahsoka or Sabine or like them.

But although it's a little slow and moody I enjoyed it well enough.

I think the biggest reaction it got from me was when I thought: "Ohh E-Wings!" and then again when I heard them talk about Imperial-class Star Destroyers. The Saxonites aren't going to be happy.

I did think they were noticably vague on a couple points, like no speech is going to say 'Several years ago' rather than an exact number and Tennant-bot referring to the jedi purges as 'so many jedi disappeared at the end of the clone wars' is a little odd as well.

Also Ahsoka identifies as a Jedi despite them referencing her leaving the order? Does that fit with Rebels/Mando? (Is this after Mando?)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-08-26 04:50pm It's the 'giving a shit' part where the show's failing me as a new comer because I don't know why exactly I should give a shit about Ahsoka or Sabine or like them.
Right now I'm finding the villains more interesting. A surviving nightsister and a former jedi working as a mercenary and being more sentimental than I'd expect from someone who has fallen to the dark side. I'm wondering if they have been completely honest about why they want to find Thrawn.

Marrok feels like there is a big reveal there when we find out who is under that helmet.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-08-26 04:50pm Also Ahsoka identifies as a Jedi despite them referencing her leaving the order? Does that fit with Rebels/Mando? (Is this after Mando?)
I think it was said this is during Mando season 3 that said from what I can recall Ahsoka identifying with the Jedi teachings and philosophy was major part of her character, in that she feels it was the Jedi Order that failed her not the Jedi philosophy that's probably why she could identify as Jedi even after leaving the Order, the same way someone could identify themselves as a christian even after they got banished from their church and community.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-08-26 04:50pmAlso Ahsoka identifies as a Jedi despite them referencing her leaving the order? Does that fit with Rebels/Mando? (Is this after Mando?)
Elsbeth was the woman with the beskar spear in The Mandalorian. That's when she was taken prisoner.

If this is after the Book of Boba Fett, then Ashoka has met Luke at least once and there is nothing to suggest he disagrees with her calling herself a Jedi.

I'm going to assume that the episodes take place in roughly the order they air unless something happens that says otherwise.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

In the final season of Clone Wars, Yoda gave her lightsabers, and sent her to Mandalore. She was dueling (ex-Darth) Maul when Anakin fell to the Dark Side and became Vader.

She was literally on her way back to rejoining the Order.

So yeah, she's a Jedi.

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Episode 3
I'm not familiar with the animated series, but is this the first time post prequel that Force users are not midi-chlorian based?
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The term midichlorian isn't even mentioned in this episode far as I can recall?
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

It's not and it's basically back to the OT depiction.
("The Force resides in all living things.")
And when Sabine asks why not everyone is a Force user Ahsoka only mentions that talent is a factor, plus training and focus.

Makes me wonder how the current makers view midichlorians.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

It doesn't sound like they are contradicting midichlorians. Just refusing to mention them directly.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah when training someone who is weak enough in the Force that during the prime of the Order they wouldn't have been even considered for Jedi training, you don't want to mention something that could be used as objective evidence for giving up.

And that's assuming Ahsoka knew about midichlorians to begin with, she was still a Padawan when she left the Order after all, senior Padawan ready for the trials sure but a Padawan.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's not like Huyang is shy about telling Sabine that her force potential is dogshit low and he must have someway of making the measurement so Midichlorians are still implied if not directly taked about.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There is also the possibility he's going by how strong she feels in the Force. Remember, Jedi and other trained force sensitives can sense that about each other.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2023-09-01 10:13pm There is also the possibility he's going by how strong she feels in the Force. Remember, Jedi and other trained force sensitives can sense that about each other.
Ah... is the robot force sensitive?

Otherwise he'd be going by what Ahsoka told him and wouldn't be able to compared accurately to the padawans he's seen over the centuries.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I think of midichlorians like a piece of jargon that's useful within a field when people are being specific, but not used in more casual conversations or when talking about with people outside the field. In part because people outside the field don't understand the term.

However Huyang measured Sabine's force sensitivity, he wanted her to understand what he was saying. Which means using terms that she would understand. So I'm thinking that Ashoka focused on teaching Sabine how to use the force, not the theory behind it.