New Star Wars Films announced. Plus Ahsoka

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

New Star Wars Films announced. Plus Ahsoka

Post by Crazedwraith »

New Films
StarWars.com wrote: Today during Lucasfilm's Studio Showcase at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2023, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy announced that three new live-action Star Wars films are on the way. Helming the movies are James Mangold (Logan, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny), Dave Filoni (The Mandalorian, Ahsoka), and Academy Award- and Emmy Award-winning director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Ms. Marvel, Saving Face).

James Mangold’s movie will go back to the dawn of the Jedi, while Dave Filoni’s will focus on the New Republic, and close out the interconnected stories told in The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and other Disney+ series. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s film will be set after the events of Rise of Skywalker, and feature Daisy Ridley back as Rey as she builds a new Jedi Order.

Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on these films and get ready to pass the popcorn.
Dawn of the Jedi.
A grand finale to Mandalorian/the related Disney+ series.
Post ST story about Rey building a Jedi order.

Plus Ahsoka series has a trailer:
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: New Star Wars Films announced. Plus Ahsoka

Post by AniThyng »

So no more rogue squadron?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

AniThyng wrote: 2023-04-07 10:33pm So no more rogue squadron?
Maybe, possibly, but it could end up like Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Book of Boba Fett and go from Movie to Disney+ Limited Series:
Looper wrote:Regarding the rumored "Star Wars" project from Patty Jenkins, "Rogue Squadron," Kennedy confirmed that it remains in development while shedding some light on why further details surrounding the project have yet to emerge. According to the Lucasfilm executive, the project is still in the talking stages as top figures debate whether it would be best suited for the big or small screen.

"'Rogue Squadron,' that definitely is something that we still talk about," Kennedy said. "Whether it's a movie, or whether it ends up being in the series space, that's definitely something."
Given this, my thoughts are the following:

1. The Filoni Mando Movie has a good chance of seeing the light of day, since Filoni is working for Lucasfilm and all; but it could still wind up cut down to Disney+ Limited Series

2. I'll believe the rest of these exist when we see a fucking trailer with actual movie footage, and even then I'll be skeptical until they're actually playing in theaters.

Lucasfilm has had a shitty track record so far, what can I say?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

This adds to the whole "sequel trilogy was a remake" idea. We have almost no information, obviously, but so far it sounds exactly like what everyone thought would happen after RotJ. Hero Jedi who destroyed Palpatine and the Empire goes and sets up a school for Jedi and has problems while doing that.

It's a weird spot to be in, I suppose. If they were going to make this film, why didn't they just start with it? Because the characters, actors, and audience of Episode 6 were at their cinematic prime thirty years ago. I don't feel bad throwing shit on the sequels, obviously, they were shit movies on top of being confined by the realities of circumstance. But I guess it means I might still have hope? I don't know. Maybe this movie will be less constrained by the baggage of legacy. Being Episode 7, the most anticipated movie in American history, was a lot of pressure to be a direct continuation of the OT, while also being bigger and badder and more visually impressive and more progressive in casting and still exactly the same thing that everyone has wanted and expected for a generation. Hardly surprising that the product was a steamer. But maybe now that Disney has made a few billions, gotten a heap of positive feedback on Andor, and generally gotten everyone accustomed to regular Star Wars, they can be a little less board-roomed to death and actually let some decent writers in.

A pipe dream, i'm certain. But who knows. I'm a little concerned by the idea that it'll lean on the TV shows, though, since I haven't watched most of them and generally found them repellent. I like universes to be all tied together and contiguous, but I also don't like having to religiously watch half a dozen seasons of mediocre TV to see the latest blockbuster.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

KraytKing wrote: 2023-04-08 12:17am I'm a little concerned by the idea that it'll lean on the TV shows, though, since I haven't watched most of them and generally found them repellent. I like universes to be all tied together and contiguous, but I also don't like having to religiously watch half a dozen seasons of mediocre TV to see the latest blockbuster.
That does seem an odd statement to me that tbe film will be a grand finale to the shows because... that's not how movies work. No one makes a film structured so you have to see TV shows first you make them accessible to a wide audience because that's where the money is.

So the more it caters to a general audience the less of a grand finale it can be and vice versa.

A standalone mando movie? Cool. A finale? ...hmm. Sus.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-04-08 05:06am That does seem an odd statement to me that tbe film will be a grand finale to the shows because... that's not how movies work. No one makes a film structured so you have to see TV shows first you make them accessible to a wide audience because that's where the money is.
On the other hand, it's Disney. And Star Wars. If they want to do that they can make it happen and make it be profitable.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ralin wrote: 2023-04-08 06:10am
Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-04-08 05:06am That does seem an odd statement to me that tbe film will be a grand finale to the shows because... that's not how movies work. No one makes a film structured so you have to see TV shows first you make them accessible to a wide audience because that's where the money is.
On the other hand, it's Disney. And Star Wars. If they want to do that they can make it happen and make it be profitable.
They've certain got a leg up in recognisability but they can't make something be profitable. Hence the dearth in movie releases since Solo bombed. (other than IX)
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

I wonder if we can get George Lucas back to make movies which are not so... meh.

ALL IS FORGIVEN GEORGE. WE WERE WRONG.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-04-08 06:15am They've certain got a leg up in recognisability but they can't make something be profitable. Hence the dearth in movie releases since Solo bombed. (other than IX)
Not literally, but they can do everything short of that and can easily afford to try and buck conventions if they want to.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I am wondering how much of "Heir to the Empire" they're going to use in Ahsoka. It does look like they're going to have the Sith (clone?).
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-08 10:11am I am wondering how much of "Heir to the Empire" they're going to use in Ahsoka. It does look like they're going to have the Sith (clone?).
Honestly a red lightsaber does not make one a sith, all we know that there's 2 force users who use the Dark side, they could be Sith or they could be other lesser dark side factions (or simply falled Jedi).

But then the Original Thrawn trilogy had no Sith either just a crazed dark side clone of a Jedi Master.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Just because they brought Back Thrawn and name-dropped 'Heir to the Empire' doesn't mean they're doing anything from TTT.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

First they say the Expanded Universe doesn't count, then they rip it off for ideas.

While I hope the new stuff does well, can we please find new people to run it?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2023-04-08 12:38pm While I hope the new stuff does well, can we please find new people to run it?
James Mangold and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy are new to Star Wars aren't they?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Solauren wrote: 2023-04-08 12:38pm First they say the Expanded Universe doesn't count, then they rip it off for ideas.

The old EU may have been shit overall, but it did have some good ideas. I can't blame them for plundering it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-08 10:11am I am wondering how much of "Heir to the Empire" they're going to use in Ahsoka. It does look like they're going to have the Sith (clone?).
He's got a different name according to the subtitles, so we know that he's not Joruus C'Baoth. That said, there's nothing stopping them from simply filing off the serial numbers from C'Baoth and sticking a new name-plate on...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

With them bringing back Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren I'd say it's more likely they tie into 'Rebels' some more and find some leftover Inquisitors.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Solauren wrote: 2023-04-08 12:38pm First they say the Expanded Universe doesn't count, then they rip it off for ideas.

To be fair, when they came up with their own ideas, it was incoherent and incomprehensible for many fans.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-04-08 02:18pm

The old EU may have been shit overall, but it did have some good ideas. I can't blame them for plundering it.
Should have done that for the sequels in the first place. Except not Dark Empire because that was seen as one of the worst EU storylines
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-04-08 12:42pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-04-08 12:38pm While I hope the new stuff does well, can we please find new people to run it?
James Mangold and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy are new to Star Wars aren't they?
I was thinking 'from the top' level on down.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-04-08 02:18pm

They did a piss poor job of that. 'Rise of Skywalker' was so blatant a Dark Empire rip off, it was almost a oversized knock-off toy version of itself.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote: 2023-04-08 06:00pm
Should have done that for the sequels in the first place. Except not Dark Empire because that was seen as one of the worst EU storylines
And even that had a good premise. Look how well it worked out when they adapted it to the third sequel movie.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2023-04-08 04:53pm With them bringing back Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren I'd say it's more likely they tie into 'Rebels' some more and find some leftover Inquisitors.
Now that is a possibility. Maybe one or more of the Brothers/Sisters?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I wager just the Thrawn of it all, but teasing enough of the old Zahn content to get nostalgia fans on board.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-08 07:54am I wonder if we can get George Lucas back to make movies which are not so... meh.

ALL IS FORGIVEN GEORGE. WE WERE WRONG.
Might be the only way to make this shit heap worse. George couldn't direct twenty years ago, why would he be any better now? Spielberg and Kasdan, his old buddies, have finally caught up and entered the shit heap of creativity. When will we learn and stop giving these gasbags our attention? Get the old blood out and get some new blood in, and preferably new blood that actually likes telling stories, not just teasing them or subverting them.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.