Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

Post by Galvatron »

Do you mean his Star Destroyer or the shuttle he and the Grand Inquisitor arrived in?

And why is the Empire not using Sentinel-class shuttles at this time? They got overused in Rebels, but we never see them in live-action for some reason.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote: 2022-06-16 02:27am Additionally, I can't help but wonder whether budget restraints resulted in Vader's ship in orbit basically not doing anything (nor even shown later). They could've at least used some dialogue such as immediately entering hyperspace once clearing the planet to resolve the situation.
The dialog we got at the end was that the transports hyperdrive was down and they were being chased. I'm assuming by Vader's ship.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-16 03:04am Do you mean his Star Destroyer or the shuttle he and the Grand Inquisitor arrived in?

And why is the Empire not using Sentinel-class shuttles at this time? They got overused in Rebels, but we never see them in live-action for some reason.
Well we do see the Sentinel in "blink and you miss it" cameo in ANH (during the scene the Stormtroopers are searching the droids in the desert, though only in the special editions).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'm willing to bet that part of the attack on the base using the siege weapons was psychological. It takes time to properly wear someone down mentally. A quick entry would have been momentarily disheartening, but people can rally from that.

The longer approach gives time for people to lose hope, and effectively weaken themselves. That's harder to recover from.

I think the Talk with Kenobi just pissed of the 'Grand Inquisitor' enough she said 'fuck it, we're doing this now'.

Of course, at that point, we see on problem with the Stormtrooper corps.

With the order 'into the breach', the should have tossed in a few grenades of somekind. Sonic, gas, similar.
And then have Kenobi force toss them back out. You still get the fight scene we got, but at least we'd see tactical competence.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2022-06-16 09:41am With the order 'into the breach', the should have tossed in a few grenades of somekind. Sonic, gas, similar.
And then have Kenobi force toss them back out. You still get the fight scene we got, but at least we'd see tactical competence.
It would show tactical competence to use a tactic even more prone to being shut down by a Jedi?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ralin wrote: 2022-06-16 05:00pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-06-16 09:41am With the order 'into the breach', the should have tossed in a few grenades of somekind. Sonic, gas, similar.
It would show tactical competence to use a tactic even more prone to being shut down by a Jedi?
Because it's a tactic that would be a good idea against foes with guns. The kind of people they would normally be fighting. It only fails here because Kenobi pulls something they weren't expecting.

Meanwhile closing to melee while you're being shot at is almost always a bad idea.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-15 04:58pm On the other hand, it's too bad the guy wearing the Vader suit can't loosen up and ape some of David Prowse's physical mannerisms. He needs to do more with his hands when he's just standing around. Even resting them on his belt would be enough.
"The guy in the Vader suit" is Hayden Christensen. Which makes me think they had to remake the costume for him because even though he's tall he's a half foot shorter than David Prowse.

Acting in a suit with your face covered is not a universal skill. It can be done (see Pedro Pascal in The Mandolorian where he displays more emotion while wearing a full suit than Gina Carano with her face visible) but it's not easy. The guys in monster suits don't get enough credit when they do it well. And yeah, I think Vader can be described as a monster suit.

His beat-down curb-stomping of Reva (you can't really call that a fight) shows just how mean and sadistic Vader is. Force-crashing a spaceship shows just how powerful he is. Sure, we all wish it had been written and done better, but I'm still enjoying the series.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-17 02:27am Because it's a tactic that would be a good idea against foes with guns. The kind of people they would normally be fighting. It only fails here because Kenobi pulls something they weren't expecting.
But these troops are ostensibly attached to the Inquisitorius. Hell, they even had a couple purge troopers with them. In all the Empire, you would think THEY would be the best trained to go up against Jedi.
Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-17 04:49am "The guy in the Vader suit" is Hayden Christensen. Which makes me think they had to remake the costume for him because even though he's tall he's a half foot shorter than David Prowse.
It's not just Hayden Christensen. There are two other guys wearing the suit in this show and Hayden isn't even wearing it during the full-body shots...
According to "Obi-Wan Kenobi" stuntman Dmitrious Bistrevsky, the portrayal of Hayden Christensen's Darth Vader is actually carried out by three different people. This includes Bistrevsky, another stunt person named Tom O'Connell, and Christensen, who surprisingly doesn't have any fight scenes or full-body shots while wearing the iconic Vader costume, according to Bistrevsky's claims on a June 1 Instagram post.

"Darth Vader is played by three people," Bistrevsky explained in the comments section of the post, which included questions from fans about his work. "We all worked together to create the best Darth Vader in cinematic history," he said. "It's me, it's Hayden, it's Tom [O'Connell]. We are a symbiosis. We all contributed our strengths to create the best representation of the character."

Bistrevsky went on to reveal that it is O'Connell who takes over fighting duties as Vader while he does full-body shots with the helmet on, and Christensen handles everything else. "Hayden and I both act in the Darth Vader scenes," the stuntman shared. "We bring the character and emotions (and the pain, suffering, anger). I'm 6'7", so when you see a full-body shot, it looks better having an actor than a CGI creation. Tom specializes in the fighting. The fights are Tom. Full body with Helmet on is me. Hayden carries the heaviest burden of all, the pain and betrayal of his best friend and once mentor."

According to Bistrevsky, all three men wore the Vader threads and worked as a team throughout the production, with Christensen being the Hollywood glue that bound them. "Without Hayden, there would be no story for me to tell," he said. Episodes of "Obi-Wan Kenobi" air Wednesdays on Disney+.
https://www.looper.com/886784/we-finall ... an-kenobi/
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It should be noted that this is still a different Vader from what we've seen in ANH in-universe as well as out.

I think the idea is to show that this Vader is still very much Anakin Skywalker as Dark Sider and is a full body armor and the Vader we "love" isn't fully formed yet, so they're drawing more from Vader/Anakin from ROTS then from Vader in the OT.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

That explanation works for me - both the one about multiple actors to create the character (which has been the case from day one) and the explanation on differences from SW:ANH
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2022-06-16 05:00pm
Hence sonic or gas.

Sonic as in 'loud shrieking to bother ears', that stormtrooper armor should be able to filter out.
Gas as in 'gas that makes you sleepy'. That stormtrooper armor should be able to filter out.

Even against a Jedi, that few seconds the Jedi is stopping the grenades, is a few seconds they there distracted enough that they might not be able to defend that well with their lightsaber.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Can lightsabers deflect stun blasts?

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-17 06:49pm Can lightsabers deflect stun blasts?
Yep.
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-17 02:27am Because it's a tactic that would be a good idea against foes with guns. The kind of people they would normally be fighting. It only fails here because Kenobi pulls something they weren't expecting.

Meanwhile closing to melee while you're being shot at is almost always a bad idea.
Kenobi is the reason they're there. He's not "surprise, Jedi!" he's the mission objective; the refugees were just a distraction they had to deal with.

Throwing in grenades which he can push right back out at them would be pointless. They probably wouldn't even hit the ground if he's on his game enough.
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-17 09:16am But these troops are ostensibly attached to the Inquisitorius. Hell, they even had a couple purge troopers with them. In all the Empire, you would think THEY would be the best trained to go up against Jedi.
Up against Jedi - not up against Jedi backed by people with blasters.

Honestly, it's lose-lose here. They stand back and shoot, Kenobi deflects blaster shots all day, until he gets tired. But the Empire is on the clock with a ship Kenobi can escape to and they know that, so they can't wait to wear him down - even if they had cover to protect themselves from the deflected blaster shots.

OTOH rushing into blaster fire isn't a great idea but up against a Jedi you do kind of just have to go with your superior numbers and mob them, which is more-or-less what they did in the Temple - get up and surround them and they can't deflect all the shots coming from all the angles, close enough they don't have time/space for fancy Jedi acrobatics.

Sure you're going to lose troopers to the blaster fire but rushing untrained and frightened civilians can help panic and break them as well, so not ideal but it works.

Basically Jedi with blaster infantry in support wasn't something they trained for (ironically enough lol, but after Order 66 the Jedi lost their Army so...) and as the Clone Wars showed it was, in fact, really really hard to kill Jedi who had support. The CIS did it with sheer weight of numbers and indomitably advancing.

Which is basically what the Empire did here.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If one wants to get nitpicky those stun bolts weren't deflected so much as dispersed/disrupted, so no directing them back at the firer as a Jedi can with regular blaster bolts. but the underlying question of 'can a lightsabre STOP a stun blast' is rather definitely answered in the affirmative (unless there was something unusual about the sabres Ahsoka used in that sequence?)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote: 2022-06-17 09:39pm If one wants to get nitpicky those stun bolts weren't deflected so much as dispersed/disrupted, so no directing them back at the firer as a Jedi can with regular blaster bolts. but the underlying question of 'can a lightsabre STOP a stun blast' is rather definitely answered in the affirmative (unless there was something unusual about the sabres Ahsoka used in that sequence?)
As far I can recall those were her normal sabers and those are as vanilla as jedi sabers go seeing as each is personally crafted by the jedi in question there's gonna be differences but as I can recall Ahsoka's sabers had no special functionality beyond what your typical sabers could do.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stun blasts are a good choice against Jedi. Kanan uses them to great effect when he defeats the Grand Inquisitor.

As to grenades, the answer there would be to use tear gas or a chemical agent, e.g. fenatyl. Won't affect the troopers (nor the inquisitor if she wore a helmet) but will suppress the defenders.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'm surprised the Empire doesn't use stun blasts more often. Don't they want prisoners they can interrogate? Maybe even get some leads on the Jedi who got away?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-06-15 04:22am More fun. Highlight was probably watching Vader fight his new Grand Inquisitor Reva, clearly outmatching her, and just being a prick about it. It's cool showing what the evil of someone like Vader actually is.
Indeed, Seeing Vader kicking some ass was my favorite part of the episode
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-15 11:18am And what the hell is it with stormtroopers closing to melee range when fighting Jedi? They sacrifice their biggest tactical advantage by doing that.
Closing the gap make it harder to deflect I would think? Although some troopers tend to get stupidly close
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly it wouldn't surprise at all if the Empire discouraged thinking for yourself among the Stormtroopers so most of them just follow orders without questions to the letter so you get things like stormtroopers not using stun settings since nobody specifically ordered them to use it or charging into essentially melee range against a jedi because in basic training they were told to charge at the enemy and questioning that tactic is bad for your health in the imperial military.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solid finale. Cool to see Anakin really become Vader, as Obi-Wan becomes more like the one we know in the OT.

Also, did not see Liam Neeson coming. I guess he needs to fix the reputation.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Really liked it overall.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Why did he leave Vader alive? Again??

Has Obi-Wan ever displayed the ability to levitate and hurl dozens of boulders like that before or since?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I can buy the mercy, I would strongly rather Kenobi had physically dismembered Anakin again, to really go back to 'when I left you I was the learner'
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Mercy from the same Obi-Wan who expected Luke to kill his own father?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I don't think Obi-Wan meant for Luke to know he was being groomed for patricide. Vader blew that secret.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin