Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Post by bilateralrope »

My biggest complaint about the Vespa chase was how slow it felt. That leads into two questions:

- How fast would people realistically go if they were in a chase in streets that tight ?

- Could a reliance on practical effects, along with rules about keeping people safe while filming, be responsible for the chase being so slow ?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-01-15 11:13pm My biggest complaint about the Vespa chase was how slow it felt. That leads into two questions:

- How fast would people realistically go if they were in a chase in streets that tight ?

- Could a reliance on practical effects, along with rules about keeping people safe while filming, be responsible for the chase being so slow ?
They've done fast chases with safety rules and such before. I think there are two factors in play:

--first, they are by and large *not* filming on location. While they have some sets and such... most of their 'locations' are digitally created. So they can't exactly rev up an engine and zip down a street somewhere.

--second, this is a stylization, I think. It's intended to reflect the somewhat hinky effects of the original (pre-Special Edition) Star Wars. This means it looks... weird now.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-01-16 04:18pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-01-15 11:13pm My biggest complaint about the Vespa chase was how slow it felt. That leads into two questions:

They've done fast chases with safety rules and such before. I think there are two factors in play:

--first, they are by and large *not* filming on location. While they have some sets and such... most of their 'locations' are digitally created. So they can't exactly rev up an engine and zip down a street somewhere.

--second, this is a stylization, I think. It's intended to reflect the somewhat hinky effects of the original (pre-Special Edition) Star Wars. This means it looks... weird now.
How many of those faster chases were in streets that cramped ?

You have a point about the limited size of their set and possible stylization.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

They're still using THE ROOM, iirc, so there may have been issues keeping the backdrop updated as well.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I thought it was called The Volume. But I can see how it would limit things. Not because of limiting the speed at which they can move the backdrop, but due to limited space to build physical sets.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-01-18 05:48am I thought it was called The Volume. But I can see how it would limit things. Not because of limiting the speed at which they can move the backdrop, but due to limited space to build physical sets.
You're right, it's The Volume.
Still, yes, there's a limit to what they can build, what they can show. I'm willing to give them the limitations because The Volume is still damn impressive.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-01-14 07:08pm The Mos Vespas and "chase scene" were laughable.
Yeah, after introducing those lame, non-lethal assassins in the first episode, they somehow managed to introduce an even lamer, non threatening gang of emo teenagers on shining floating Vespa's. Why the fuck would someone like Boba Fett hire these tools as his minions? In a place like Tatooine, there's seriously no other guns for hire? Even Jawas seem more threatening and lethal.

Baba Fett of the OT used to be a mysterious badass. It's somewhat getting diminished now that he's playing a Nice Guy surrounded by carebears
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So Boba goes looking for his armor (that he was actually still wearing after having crawled out of the Sarlacc) inside the Sarlacc why? Does the sarlacc routinely eat random stuff lying around near its pit? Besides, the stuff looked 'ruined'. I don't care how tough beskar is, all the finickier bits of the suit are going to be goners (we're not talking medieval plate armor here, there's going to be electronics (or whatever Star Wars uses in their place), rocket fuel propellant a lot of other things that don't take well to having the shit acided out of them. Besides since the BoBF suit loos a lot greener than the OT one I think it would make more sense for him to have gotten a new one.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Star Wars tech has always been stupidly durable. Like Artoo and Luke's X-wing. Hell, even Mando's original armor was easily fixed after it got busted to shit by the mudhorn in the first season.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

When Mando got Fett's armor in the series it was kind of ruined and scratched, at least on the paint, but still operable. The Sheriff was able to use it and when Fett subsequently got it back he immediately used like most of the weapons on it as well as show the chain code stored inside. And in the next episode the armor got a new paintjob.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Loving the show so far. I wasn't too keen on Fett as a character previously, but making him an aged Temuera Morrison really fixes it.
Galvatron wrote: 2022-01-20 12:12am Star Wars tech has always been stupidly durable. Like Artoo and Luke's X-wing. Hell, even Mando's original armor was easily fixed after it got busted to shit by the mudhorn in the first season.
The Sarlaac also might not be too acidic, which would go with the 'slowly digested over a thousand years' line. Most certainly hyperbolic, but sort of fits?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2022-01-19 09:40pm So Boba goes looking for his armor (that he was actually still wearing after having crawled out of the Sarlacc) inside the Sarlacc why?
He probably doesn't have clear memories of escaping.

As for any electronics within the armor, all we can say is that anything that was damaged got repaired or replaced. The beskar is the only part of the armor that stands out from other SW tech.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

We can probably assume the Sheriff did some repair work on the armour, since it had functioning parts when he was using it. Star Wars electronics/technology seems to be reasonably easy for just about anybody to repair/jury-rig. Perhaps even the Jawas when they pulled it off him.

Past that, I don't have a particularly great issue with Boba's armour as a plot point. There's a lot else that stands out like the rainbow-space-Vespa crew, and Mando S2 explained the armour situation reasonably well enough IMO.

EDIT to add: If anything, I am more confused by the timeline here.

Mandalorian happens 'approximately 5 years after the end of Return of the Jedi'. Season 2, we can more or less safely assume, is probably not too long after that point.

Mando shot Fennec Shand in episode 5, season 1; we see that she was picked up and repaired by Fett almost immediately afterwards.

Prior to that, we see Fett escaping the Sarlaac presumably a short time after the sail-barge was wrecked as he emerges to Jawas looting the wreckage. The Tuskens pick him up shortly after that.

The next indication of the passage of time is Fett going to Mos Espa and seeing the stormtrooper helmets on sticks, and the Tusken clan gets murdered when he returns. This is seemingly just after he stops the Pyke train and informs them that they're going to pay the Tuskens tribute.

And then he's staking out Jabba's palace, sees the flares from Mando attacking Shand, and gets there in time to rescue Shand...

So how long was he with the Tuskens exactly? Five years? Because it really doesn't feel like he was with them for five years. Or was he staking out Jabba's palace for years? The passage of time here is absolutely unclear.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Boba does refer to "all those years ago" in regards to the Tuskens taking him in at one point. I do believe there are some timeskips within the flashback sequences.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-01-24 05:32am Boba does refer to "all those years ago" in regards to the Tuskens taking him in at one point. I do believe there are some timeskips within the flashback sequences.
Absolutely. I have to say the fleshing out of Tusken culture was beautiful and my favorite piece of Star Wars since Rogue One. Not simple savages as the OT would have us believe.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

How the F are you supposed to bring a bounty in with a fighter, no cryo chamber, no cargo space.

This is the best episode of the Book of Boba Fett so far, mostly because it's actually a surprise episode of the Mandalorian and presumably had different people at the wheel. I just hope the ineptitude of the BoBF crew doesn't bleed into Mando.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Ep5
Wow….Is this the first time we see a ring world (whatever canon) in Star Wars?
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

WAS that a ring world? It was certainly ring shaped but there didn't seem to be a star at the centre, and with the (relatively small, even by modern standards) ships docked to it it didn't look BIG enough for one.

Re no room for bounties-cold bounties could work the empty droid socket could be converted into some minimal cargo space but overall suboptimal vehicle for a bounty hunter. But then, the N-1 wasn't Mando's idea, he was initially less than thrilled with the ship. And taking her for a spin when half the hull plating is still missing?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Never thought I'd see a Naboo starfighter hot-rodded like a rebel Y-wing.

I think the ring world was just a space station.

I got my hopes up that we may have seen the last of Amy Sedaris when that creature grabbed her leg. Too bad Mando got there in time to save her.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

GuppyShark wrote: 2022-01-26 04:08am How the F are you supposed to bring a bounty in with a fighter, no cryo chamber, no cargo space.

This is the best episode of the Book of Boba Fett so far, mostly because it's actually a surprise episode of the Mandalorian and presumably had different people at the wheel. I just hope the ineptitude of the BoBF crew doesn't bleed into Mando.
Yeaaaaah…. Lets enjoy the starfighter equivalent of an Eleanor Mustang with a Gatling gun before we point out how obviously impractical it is.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe Djarin can attach a trailer to it? Given he could live in the last ship, without fear of people seeing him sans helmet, a starfighter might be a short term solution until he gets the space Winnebago back.

Also, yet another fun episode.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I imagine it beats having to travel commercially.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fett winds up dead at the end of this series and Djarin inherits the Slave One.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Batman wrote: 2022-01-26 09:01pm WAS that a ring world? It was certainly ring shaped but there didn't seem to be a star at the centre, and with the (relatively small, even by modern standards) ships docked to it it didn't look BIG enough for one.
I'd call it a ring world, even if it's "just" a very large space station. It's a small ringworld, but seems to have the essential elements. I thought the artificial night/day was a good touch.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I just popped the episode on again, and the ring is certainly around something quite bright, while also being quite small. Maybe it's a small artificial star for some reason?

- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Should be within Wars' technological capabilities. As for why a small artificial one, real stars are hardly what I'd call easy to move (not even in Wars) and may be inconveniently located for your purposes. Also a 'real' ringworld is a rather major undertaking and may be too big for ones budget or purposes (not everybody has pockets as deep as the empire).