Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Post by Broomstick »

I've long had the impression that the entire population of Tatooine is pretty small. Given the lack of water, it probably can't support a large population. Not even sure what most people do on that planet - there's what, moisture farming, smuggling, scrapping, gambling, vehicle servicing and... what?

So... small population, few settlements, and controlling the place would be small-scale conflicts compared to some of what the Galaxy Far Far Away has seen.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And prior to TbOBF I'd have agreed. But Mos Espa appears to be a pretty sizeable city. Of course, maybe 90%+ of the planetary population live there?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

If Mos Espa is the main spaceport, and therefore the centre of interplanetary commerce, that could explain its influence.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Tattooine, on the galactic scale, is basically the backwater town that got settled for [reasons], went broke, and ended up being a convenient location for criminals to do business out of. That's how I read it anyway.

In that context, it absolutely has a tiny population. Mos Espa was where they went in TPM, Mos Eisley obviously being 'the bad part of town' (which in a metaphor for a run down criminal infested town-planet... means it's *really* bad). Between the desert and the Tuskens, there's not much reason to explore the desert outside needing acreage for moisture farming.

Jabba appearing at the Boonta Eve pod race in TPM could suggest that perhaps his palace was local to Mos Espa as well, Fett being able to get there and back quickly with the rancor reinforcing that.

I don't really see there being a Book of Boba Fett pt. 2, unless it involves the Tuskens somehow (reconcilation between the city/town people and the sandpeople?). Between Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Mando s3, there's plenty enough going on.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-02-10 10:44am I've long had the impression that the entire population of Tatooine is pretty small. Given the lack of water, it probably can't support a large population. Not even sure what most people do on that planet - there's what, moisture farming, smuggling, scrapping, gambling, vehicle servicing and... what?

So... small population, few settlements, and controlling the place would be small-scale conflicts compared to some of what the Galaxy Far Far Away has seen.
I've always seen it like the desert nations on the Arabian Sea, which have far more population than most realize.
Like Arabian desert nations, most of Tatooine's population are in the cities, which would be at the biggest aquifers. The Tuskens are like the Bedouin, semi-nomadic going from oasis to oasis with their herds, living off the land. Moisture-farmers are more Wild West single farm-steaders than the small communities that survive along wadis, but either way they're growing food using trickles of water, living in buildings protected from the heat by being underground or large geological rock structures.
Also, like Tatooine, many Arabian nations were once powerful trade hubs -- the Spice Roads that criss-crossed the Sahara, wrapping around the Mediterranean to the ports of Egypt, Carthage, the Levant. Think also of Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan, as well as the other nations of the Silk Road that ran from Cathay to Byzantium.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

"If there's a bright spark in the universe, this is the part furthest from" - Luke.

It was always supposed to be a backwater nowhere, they even lampshaded that when they went back in RotJ with the exchange between Luke and Han "You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient."

And yet most of Star Wars seems to happen on this sandy, coarse and irritating planet.