Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Post by Agent Fisher »

Well, first episode dropped. I loved it. Western vibes with Boba being captured by a tribe of Tusken Raiders. Plus establishing his control on Jabba/Bibb's criminal empire on Tatooine.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Post by Gandalf »

Saw it today. Great fun.

Filling someone's helmet with coins seems an impractical way to pay a tribute to the new crime lord.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think the helmet filled with coins thing is more about style and theater than practicality.

I like the backfill on how he escaped the sarlaac and wound up with the Tusken raiders. I anticipate more flashbacks as the series continues.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-12-30 06:43am Filling someone's helmet with coins seems an impractical way to pay a tribute to the new crime lord.
Broomstick wrote: 2021-12-30 06:58am I think the helmet filled with coins thing is more about style and theater than practicality.
That's also assuming that the owner of Sanctuary wasn't involved with the subsequent attack, and filling their helmets with coins was a way to ensure they weren't wearing them and thus weaken them that little bit extra during the ambush.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Didn't ANH establish that they use coins on Tatooine? Isn't that what Han flipped to the bartender when he left the cantina?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yes, there was a coin in that bit. But it would be odd if that was the be all and end all of Tattooine legal tender.

If tribute starts rolling in for Boba Fett, will he have a Scrooge McDuck style money bin?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Electronic tender has a trail. The helmet trick was basically a less obvious brown paper bag trick. They didn't give them money, they just polished their helmets.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-12-31 07:44am Yes, there was a coin in that bit. But it would be odd if that was the be all and end all of Tattooine legal tender.

If tribute starts rolling in for Boba Fett, will he have a Scrooge McDuck style money bin?
Maybe? I imagine running a criminal empire is expensive so he may have to spend it as quickly as he earns it.

Also, we saw in The Mandalorian that there are different forms of currency throughout the galaxy. He even rejected Imperial credits and settled for a lesser amount in Calamari Flan. Maybe Tatooinians, especially at that point in history, prefer something that's more likely to retain its value.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Either that, or those on Tatoonine aren't fussy about what currency they get as long as it has some value. Might even prefer a mix if various currencies are in flux so they don't have all their eggs in one basket.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's also possible that New Republic credits are as worthless on Tatooine in 9 ABY as Old Republic credits were in 33 BBY.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

GuppyShark wrote: 2021-12-31 08:17am Electronic tender has a trail. The helmet trick was basically a less obvious brown paper bag trick.
there's also the matter that Tatooine locals and government tended to be rather poor resulting physical currency being more common in day to day use, so large sums of money delivered via electronic means might raise questions as to where you got them.

While physical currency might be excused as a large amounts of small deposits from local farmers and traders for legitimate reasons, after all it would seem reasonable to assume that Jabba (and by extension now Boba Fett) either owned or had legitimate deals with local small business in Tatooine so he could launder the money he got from his criminal enterprise.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

The first episode was a bit short for my liking, but a good start overall. With any luck, they still have an experienced crew from doing The Mandalorian, so they know what they're doing.

A couple of small things from the fight. For one, we see that Gamorreans can actually fight :mrgreen:. Also, those personal shields. We sort-of had a precedent from TPM and Clone Wars, but those needed an external frame. If shields like this are possible, then it implies that Dune-style body shields - of the sort seen in some of the games, notably KOTOR - could be a thing.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-01-05 09:52am The first episode was a bit short for my liking, but a good start overall. With any luck, they still have an experienced crew from doing The Mandalorian, so they know what they're doing.

A couple of small things from the fight. For one, we see that Gamorreans can actually fight :mrgreen:. Also, those personal shields. We sort-of had a precedent from TPM and Clone Wars, but those needed an external frame. If shields like this are possible, then it implies that Dune-style body shields - of the sort seen in some of the games, notably KOTOR - could be a thing.
Well it wasn't just games and legends also explained why those weren't so widespread, they could either overheat the person using them since the energy from the weapons had to go somewhere or they didn't last so long (maybe 1-2 shots from a typical blaster using typical combat settings) before running out of power.

So essentially good projection from assassins or as back for solo operatives on Stealth mission but poor battlefield equipment.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Episode two was good fun. I'm honestly liking this a lot more than the Mandalorian.

Good to see coins distributed in a bag this time.

- George Carlin
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

The flashback storytelling method always irritates me, so I'm passing on this. Also lol at the child of Jango Fett after a long career as a bounty hunter needing to be taught how to fight with a stick.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Episode one was... meh? Not bad, but also not great. And those assassins with their energy shields and sticks were embarrassing (unless they were trying to capture him, but then why hire assassins).
Second episode with the train was way better though
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

GuppyShark wrote: 2022-01-07 03:59am The flashback storytelling method always irritates me, so I'm passing on this. Also lol at the child of Jango Fett after a long career as a bounty hunter needing to be taught how to fight with a stick.
Why would this be surprising? He did his fighting with blasters and suit gimmicks, not staffs.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

This show is really making me wonder why crime syndicates are fighting over Tatooine. I always thought it was just Jabba's home and that's all. Does it have spice mines or something?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe it's a bit cyclical. Tattooine was Jabba's home, and thus a crime infrastructure developed around it. When Jabba went, the infrastructure remained, just headless.

- George Carlin
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-01-05 12:09pm
Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-01-05 09:52am The first episode was a bit short for my liking, but a good start overall. With any luck, they still have an experienced crew from doing The Mandalorian, so they know what they're doing.

Well it wasn't just games and legends also explained why those weren't so widespread, they could either overheat the person using them since the energy from the weapons had to go somewhere or they didn't last so long (maybe 1-2 shots from a typical blaster using typical combat settings) before running out of power.

So essentially good projection from assassins or as back for solo operatives on Stealth mission but poor battlefield equipment.
Agreed. I just wasn't sure whether or not it would make the leap from Legends to Canon.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-01-13 03:10pm Maybe it's a bit cyclical. Tattooine was Jabba's home, and thus a crime infrastructure developed around it. When Jabba went, the infrastructure remained, just headless.
But why was Jabba there in the first place ?

My guess is that Tatooine is in a convenient location.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Or maybe he just likes an arid climate.

Anyone as powerful as Jabba is going to turn their seat of power into an important place by simply living there.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Third episode was a bit meh for me. It did advance the storyline, but I dunno, maybe I just didn't get into it for some reason.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Mos Vespas and "chase scene" were laughable.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

After episode 2 being so utterly amazing with the Tusken Raider plot arc developing I was initially willing to give the episode 3 cyberpunk Vespa scene a pass. In hindsight that was god awful. Painfully bad. Danny Trejo and the rancor was partially redeeming though.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy