Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Post by Gandalf »

So as a piece of artificial real estate, maybe set up on a major trade route it makes good sense.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-01-28 10:03am I just popped the episode on again, and the ring is certainly around something quite bright, while also being quite small. Maybe it's a small artificial star for some reason?
Look from the very start of the episode; it's not a full ring but there's a gap in it. It has more of a horseshoe-shape.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Some thoughts:
- The Armorer basically told Djarin that he's got to retake Mandalore. I don't think he's going back to bounty hunting.
- Beskar chainmail might be enough to let Grogu survive Kylo Ren slaughtering Luke's students.
- The Darksaber getting heavy in a fight is a surprising detail. I wonder where they are going with that.
- We know that Djarin's armor isn't sealed, meaning the underside of the ring holds an atmosphere. Since someone went to that much effort, it probably has other significant differences from what I'd expect of a ring world.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-01-29 09:14am - The Darksaber getting heavy in a fight is a surprising detail. I wonder where they are going with that.
It's a bit of a metaphysical thing with (at least) the Darksaber, possibly all lightsabers now but definitely applies to the Darksaber particularly. It was first brought up in Rebels and what Kanan is telling Sabine is pretty similar to what The Armorer was telling Djarin:

"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

RogueIce wrote: 2022-01-29 12:19pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-01-29 09:14am - The Darksaber getting heavy in a fight is a surprising detail. I wonder where they are going with that.
It's a bit of a metaphysical thing with (at least) the Darksaber, possibly all lightsabers now but definitely applies to the Darksaber particularly. It was first brought up in Rebels and what Kanan is telling Sabine is pretty similar to what The Armorer was telling Djarin:
So... emotions go into the crystal and out into the blade? For Kanan to know that, I'd assume the same would go for lightsabers, especially since Jedi were taught to let emotions flow thru and over them, but not to get lost in them (as Anakin did, often).
A fight, especially a true deadly one, will charge up emotions. They may not show in your face or your stance due to training, but the excitement and fear is there. The question is : does this give the blade more strength?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-01-29 06:48pm
RogueIce wrote: 2022-01-29 12:19pm
So... emotions go into the crystal and out into the blade? For Kanan to know that, I'd assume the same would go for lightsabers, especially since Jedi were taught to let emotions flow thru and over them, but not to get lost in them (as Anakin did, often).
A fight, especially a true deadly one, will charge up emotions. They may not show in your face or your stance due to training, but the excitement and fear is there. The question is : does this give the blade more strength?
My impression was that the 'weight' is psychological.

To Djarin and Viszla, this is the Darksaber, the symbol of their people and all they stand for. It is heavy to them, because of the weight of responsibility it represents. Deep down, they do not feel worthy to bear it; so the weight is unbearable to them.

Contrast Gideon, who never had any trouble wielding it. He understands the meaning of the Darksaber to the Mandalorians, but has no connection to it beyond that. It's just a tool to him; a rare and valuable tool, but still just a tool.

I think the Armourer was trying to help Djarin, as she has done before. She wants him to purify his spirit, to rid himself of the spiritual weight that's holding him back; that is, whatever is tormenting and distracting him, and preventing him from truly accepting the blade and what it means. I suspect that something is his bond with Grogu, and that in turn is why she made him the chainmail. By giving Grogu a worthy gift, a gift of protection that could one day save his life, then Djarin can properly say goodbye, and close that chapter of his life.

If this sounds familiar, it's probably no accident that Tarre Viszla was both a Mandalorian and a Jedi.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-01-29 07:57pm My impression was that the 'weight' is psychological.

To Djarin and Viszla, this is the Darksaber, the symbol of their people and all they stand for. It is heavy to them, because of the weight of responsibility it represents. Deep down, they do not feel worthy to bear it; so the weight is unbearable to them.

Contrast Gideon, who never had any trouble wielding it. He understands the meaning of the Darksaber to the Mandalorians, but has no connection to it beyond that. It's just a tool to him; a rare and valuable tool, but still just a tool.

I think the Armourer was trying to help Djarin, as she has done before. She wants him to purify his spirit, to rid himself of the spiritual weight that's holding him back; that is, whatever is tormenting and distracting him, and preventing him from truly accepting the blade and what it means. I suspect that something is his bond with Grogu, and that in turn is why she made him the chainmail. By giving Grogu a worthy gift, a gift of protection that could one day save his life, then Djarin can properly say goodbye, and close that chapter of his life.

If this sounds familiar, it's probably no accident that Tarre Viszla was both a Mandalorian and a Jedi.
That is a very good way to look at it, and it seems to fit what we've seen. "Duty is heavy as a mountain"

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I enjoyed the most recent one, but really it should have been "interlude" rather than "Chapter 5".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lonestar wrote: 2022-01-31 03:36pm I enjoyed the most recent one, but really it should have been "interlude" rather than "Chapter 5".
Unless it sets up something in Chapter 6 plotwise, then it would make sense as it's own Chapter.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Well that was another odd one, but really enjoyable even if most of it was just fanservice. Is the Luke/Grogu storyline just going to exist in other character's shows?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I'm now wondering what the turnaround time on new episodes is, the show is all over the place. I wonder if they're chasing the needle and over-steering based on audience reactions.

So much was wrong with this episode. Just one example - I groaned when I saw the villain reveal. Exactly how few characters are there in this goddamned universe?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Ghetto edit: I meant 'wrong' in the 'the narrative didn't work for me' not a 'muh canon' sense.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-02-02 06:00am Well that was another odd one, but really enjoyable even if most of it was just fanservice. Is the Luke/Grogu storyline just going to exist in other character's shows?
I mean we really have no idea what happened to Grogu, either he turned dark or he isn't dead in RoS, I'm guessing.

Luke has no idea what the hell he is doing and this was the big brain idea he came up with, which was a stupid one.

They did an absolutely marvelous job with Cad Bane, IMO. Wife audibly gasped when he looked up and showed his face. She wasn't family with him but the costuming/make was phenomenal, as was the acting.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Cad Bane. Thank you. couldn't remember the guy's name. Since Grogu is effectively a toddler as Of Mando/ BoBF despite being at least 25 years old(he (do we know Grogu's a he, BTW-Everybody seems to assume so, but I don't recall anything in-series ever actually saying one way or the other)) was around for GO66, afterall , maybe he's just too young to be of consequence as per RoS.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I thought I was watching The Book of Boba Fett but the last two episodes have been Mandalorian.

Not a fan of the Luke/Grogu interlude, too much fanservice over Luke, and the Grogu puppet looked way too much like a puppet this time around. Although the miniature chainmail was adorable.

Luke is being a dumbass, but we knew that from the last triology. Great, Luke, sent a half-trained padawan with PTSD issues out into the world with strengthened Force talents. Yeah, that's going to end well - not. Think Luke is assuming Grogu is going to choose the Way of the Jedi over the Way of the Mandalore. The only good thing about that interlude was seeing green growing things instead of endless sand.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Just finished ep 5 and 6. Both solid and entertaining episodes. Probably the best of the season so far, which is pretty sad considering it's a show that's supposed to be about Boba Fett and the best episodes barely had any Boba Fett in them
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think this was supposed to be season 3 of The Mandalorian, but they decided it would be strange to devote four entire episodes to Boba Fett before refocusing it back on Din Djarin.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-02-03 02:07pm I think this was supposed to be season 3 of The Mandalorian, but they decided it would be strange to devote four entire episodes to Boba Fett before refocusing it back on Din Djarin.
When Ahsoka was announced in 2020, it was said that the shows would be interconnected moving forward.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lonestar wrote: 2022-02-02 09:25pm I mean we really have no idea what happened to Grogu, either he turned dark or he isn't dead in RoS, I'm guessing.

Luke has no idea what the hell he is doing and this was the big brain idea he came up with, which was a stupid one.
Luke really would have benefitted from some bureaucratic assistance in building his school. Maybe a New Republic educational consultant or two could help him build a curriculum as well as establish some student support infrastructure.

It seems odd that the new Jedi Temple needs to be a monastery. Can't they be comfy when they learn space wizardry?

- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I imagine Luke thought that a rustic environment surrounded by wilderness would be more conducive to Jedi training because that's how he and Yoda did it on Dagobah.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Only one episode left to wrap this up, apparently.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

GuppyShark wrote: 2022-02-04 03:49am Only one episode left to wrap this up, apparently.
Not necessarily. As I mentioned above, the shows are interconnected. TBOBF mainly serves as a vehicle to explain how Boba Fett ends up where he did and then the story can progress further in Mando (and Ahsoka as well). A second season is also a possibility (though none has been announced as of now).
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Well that was a big, silly, and fun finale.

Glad I watched it.

- George Carlin
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Indeed. A fun finale with some much-needed action.

My one real complaint against this series was it being a bit short. I wouldn't have minded the Djarin tangent if there had been a few more episodes. But this way, it feels like its taken up a quarter to a third of the series. The same could be said of the Tusken flashbacks, but they were arguably needed for Boba's character arc.

Spoiler
The droids seen here are Scorpeneks, making their first actual appearance. Basically a bigger version of the Droideka, and made by the same people, for the same people.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's official-even people in-universe think Grogu is a terrible name and are never calling him that. The rancor coming to the rescue I didn't see coming- when Boba left I expected him to bring in the Sand people, and before that I thought it would be R2 bringing the X-Wing to the game. And I know they're going for the small-town Western theme but for a battle of planetary domination thing this was very small scale.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'