Death Star Turbolasers ?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Death Star Turbolasers ?

Post by bilateralrope »

MKSheppard wrote: 2021-10-15 08:17pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-10-15 12:41pm Remember that the Death Star doesn't need to eliminate the defending fleet. Just blow up the planet and then leave. Witnesses are good for letting people know that the Emperor can and will blow up planets that displease him.
Then why did they have TIE cordon sanitaire screens out in ANH to intercept people travelling to Alderaan?
Some possibilities:
- The TIE's are there for when the Death Star has to stay put for a while (eg, refueling) but were deployed here due to caution. As far as I'm aware, Alderaan was the first time the Death Star blew up a planet.
- There was some goal at Alderaan beyond just blowing up the planet, like capturing anyone escaping just in case they were rebels. Or to make sure that the witnesses got a good close up look at the Death Star to see that it's huge and Imperial.
- The Death Stars hyperdrive is limited compared to most ships. It couldn't jump straight to in range of Yavin 4, instead it had to fly around the gas giant. Add in that fighters could get through the shield and the fighter screen could be there to protect it until the hyperdrive was ready to take it out of system.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

There's also that the Empire might want identify and track any escaping ships so their crews and passengers can be killed at a later date or there's also the matter of not letting possible survivors escape too easily so that they wouldn't suspect they were let go to spread the word about the Death Star.

A fighter screen would be beneficial for either of those.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Falcon was already a wanted (on high priority) ship anyway. For all we know the TIEs would ordinarily do a flyby and come on the radio saying "Tremble before our technological terror."
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth