What was Pablo Hidalgo's Deal with Tech Heads?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: What was Pablo Hidalgo's Deal with Tech Heads?

Post by MKSheppard »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-10-10 12:46pm Kinda proves my point. At least some explanation is needed. Pablo’s attitude is “who cares”. He earlier said he saw it as Looney Toons in space.
So how did the Ewok holocaust not happen, despite us having semi-canonical proof in the Disney Canon of large portions of the Death Star II Battlestation surviving to land on Endor?

More to the point, how did stormtrooper armor survive to be scattered throughout the corridors of that DSII wreckage in Rise of Skywalker?

Pablo's attitude of "fuck it, who cares?" is a big reason why I think Star Wars is slowly dying.

For every Tim Zahn who tries to think things out, there's five other YOLO authors who just say fuck it and write whatever.

WEG ironically, tried to maintain standards with their policy guide for SW -- I've posted it before.

As I see it; we've got a bunch of SW continuities now; all splintered:

Lucasfilm Legends
Disney Film (sequelverse, and the one-offs like R1 and Solo)
Dave Filoniverse
The Mangolorianverse
The Zahnverse (based around his recanonised thrawn books)

It didn't have to be this way.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Ralin wrote: 2021-10-10 12:58pm
Paolo wrote: 2021-10-10 01:46am He sort of has a point about "happy ending." Don't think anyone at Lucasfilm seriously entertained slaughtering the Ewoks at the time or beforehand. Does anyone think Lucas would've gone for it? But as reasonable an extrapolation from the evidence it was, it might've been more productive to come up with at least a plausible way to save the Ewoks than leave it to Hidalgo to reason on his own.
Rumor has it Saxton cut ties with Lucasfilm years ago because they didn't concede the point about the "Endor Holocaust."
On the other hand, is that really the sort of fan attitude that you should cater to or accommodate instead of mocking?
Most tech heads were far more reasonable. And McEwok and his brood were also pretty awful
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Anyone have a link to his "The Fallen Giant Holocaust"? (Google fails ne)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-10-11 02:32pmMost tech heads were far more reasonable. And McEwok and his brood were also pretty awful
I remember we had an elaborate post on here about how the DS2 was constructed in a ground-based repulsor harness and that this would deflect most of the debris along with ray shields against the direct radiation. No one hated this idea at all because it makes fucking sense, and if Dr Saxton didn't hate Ewoks I'm sure he could come up with something similar.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Fair. McEwok and the minimalists were also godawful.

Basically the issue is that some inconsistencies are inevitable. But you should TRY to be consistent. Many of the inconsistencies that tech heads complained about only existed because the guys in charge were too god damned lazy to do 5 minutes of research. Pablo's "it's just a movie" came off more as "shut the fuck up and don't put basic thought into it." That many of his friends had their work criticized implies that his motives were fundementally selfish (basically he's butthurt that his friends were called out for their incompetence.)